Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Max's wanna be overland build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Max's wanna be overland build

For anyone interested, here is a little about my truck, and a little about myself. Mostly I think I will use this to post pictures and maybe little blurbs about places I visit and things I do with the truck. As I have enjoyed so many of your builds and trip reports I hope that maybe some of you will enjoy a bit of mine.

I've kind of built it less for rocks, (I'd probably be better off with a different vehicle if I wanted to play in the rocks), and more for -- I don't want to call it expedition or overlanding but perhaps-- self-reliant exploring.

“Where is there a boy to whom the call of the wild
and the open road does not appeal?”
-Robert Baden-Powell

I was first introduced to wheeling when I lived in Wyoming and my neighbor would take me and his kids up to ham repeaters to fix them after the rough winters. That's also what got me into ham radio. The BSA also gave me a lot and added to my interest in the outdoors. So I guess I've kind of focused my build around some of this. Always be prepared, right?

I got the truck in 07 after moving back to the west, to remote northern Nevada. I started with tires and soon added on a few things here and there. My curiosity abounded and I was forever wondering where this road led or where that two track went and so I began hitting dirt roads and two tracks all around the desert and hills. My interest grew into more serious stuff and I added an ARB and then heavier skids, sliders, rear bumper, and more recovery gear etc... to help me on more technical trails. Or I should say, as my budget would permit.

Truck:
Make: Toyota
Model: Tacoma Access Cab
Year: 2007
Color: Silver Streak
Name: Lexi

Options:
4.0L V6
6 spd Manual
SR5 TRD Off Road(Locked)
Tow Package

Mods: (each link should take you to either, a relevant post in my build, a relevant website, or a writeup for installation)
315/75/R16 BFG T/A KO all terrains
Wheeler's Steel 16" Type B 4.0 BS

Custom flares
OME 886 coils
OME Nitro Charger 90000 struts
LR UCAs
OME Dakar leaf packs
Bilstein 5100 rears

4xInnovations sliders
Sway Bar Removed
ARB Bull Bar
Relentless high clearance rear wrap around plate bumper
Custom All Pro knock off ifs skid, made by me
Relentless Mid/Trans skid
Relocated differential breather
Relocated trailer pin connector
Extra tie downs
Block heater
Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD
Weathertech floor mats
TRD Seat-covers
LED Map and Dome lights
Yeasu FT2800-M (2M)
Diamond 2M antenna and Comet mount/cable
Cobra CB
Lil Wilson magnet mount CB antenna
Fire extinguisher in bed cubby
Adventure Medical "Hunter" first aid kit
Various Recovery gear and tools
Kobalt low profile tool box
Smittybilt (TMax) XRC-8 winch
Puma 12v OBA
Reverse and Bed lights
Hi-lift 48" jack

Lightforce 140s
Future:
More armor (locker skid, trans skid, tcase skid, fuel skid)
more lights
shackle flip
On Board Water Heater
Front ARB locker?
SAS?
On board welder?
flat bed?

Maintenance and DIY Info:
Here
and Here
Service info Here

I do nearly all of the work myself.

Understanding regear and gearing questions.

I changed my oil initially at 1000 miles and now every 4000 miles using a Napa Gold 1348 or a Wix filter and Valvoline full synthetic 5W-30 or Mobil 1 (although next time I may check out the special at Oreilly Auto parts for their 5 qts Oreilly brand Syn 5w30 and mobil 1 filter). A Napa Gold 1516 filter will also fit and is around an inch taller than the 1348. I also run Valvoline Syn 75W-90 in my differentials, transfer case, and transmission.

A write-up for how to change the oil on the 4.0 V6 is HERE

How NOT to change the oil is here

Per Toyota the spark plugs are to be changed at 30k miles, I changed mine using OE NGK plugs. As expected the passenger bank were all densos and the drivers side NGKs. Mine still looked pretty clean, but the electrodes had warn (normal) and they did need replaced. A write up is here and more plug info is here.
My Alignment Specs

Extending the life of your CV boots:
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...89#post1126289
Post #11 and down

Fender Flares
I know I've gotten messages asking about my flares, so I thought I'd link this thread for you guys and gals who are interested in flares like mine.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/hom...der-flare.html

I'll be watching and waiting to see what Craig comes up with!

Current:

At the start:
Old 07-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I first bought a Westin Bull Bar, realized they're absolutely stupid. Sold it, fabbed up a light bar, got my lights stolen, and then bought an ARB.

Borrowed some ideas,

Old 07-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great!! Keep up the good work!!
Old 07-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
Nice brother!
Old 07-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #7

Desert

Snow

High Desert?

Water

Stuck

yeah that's the highway...
Almost trees

Thermal

Pretty?

Trees!

XRC8 coming soon, just need to find time to put it on.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
I was never consulted when making this.
I'm good on the oil changes man.
Just joking...

Thanks Everyone!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #9
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
you got some cool pictures man.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome scenery!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #11

Thanks guys!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:09 PM   #12
Screw your MPG's
jacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
jacob_wood's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jacob_wood
Old 07-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #13

Edit: in the second picture, I'm on a big rock, not off the road, before someone asks.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #14

Thank you!
Old 07-26-2010, 08:44 PM   #15
Not your average girl
yotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Small town firefighter EMT
Name: Katie
yotanator's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck! Now I really, really, really miss Reno
Old 07-26-2010, 08:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotanator View Post
Nice truck! Now I really, really, really miss Reno
Reno is a great city! I'd miss it too. Haha, sorry...
Thanks though.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #17
Not your average girl
yotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Reno is a great city! I'd miss it too. Haha, sorry...

Thanks though.
You're welcome. I was a Reno Tacoma from August 2008 until March of this year. I loved it.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #18

What made you leave?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #19
Not your average girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
What made you leave?
Lost my job. I was working at Jones West Ford, and the auto industry sucks right now. When it got to the point where I had to count quarters to buy food, I knew it was time to head on back to Cali.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotanator View Post
Lost my job. I was working at Jones West Ford, and the auto industry sucks right now. When it got to the point where I had to count quarters to buy food, I knew it was time to head on back to Cali.
Well maybe things will pick back up and you can head back this way for a different job.

Products Discussed in this Thread