Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

My 08 TRD Sport Taco Build

Old 07-05-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
jdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jdtemple's Tacoma Gallery
Smile My 08 TRD Sport Taco Build

I bought my truck used with a 2 inch lift in the front, and 1.5 blocks in the back sitting on 285/70/R17 BFG All Terrains. It was already debadged and had the front emblem painted black, and it has a top deck rear lid. That seems to be all that was done to it. It was Toyota Certified and figured I would get the full warranty till 100k since I don't drive it too often.

The day I bought it!

Now it's mine, so I have made a few changes.

First thing I did was change the wheels to eliminate the wheel spacers. I had seen another Black Taco with some wheels on it that looked really good, so I noted the brand and started looking at different styles Gear Alloy offered. I unknowingly picked out the exact same wheels that I had seen on the other Taco, even tho I thought I was picking a different one. Turns out they look really good on a Silver Taco too!

After searching around the forums I installed the USA Spec module for an Ipod, which has been awesome for road trips and sounds great!

Then I did the in cab power outlet mod and threw in a couple of USB charge ports along with another 12v outlet for the rear seats.

Now I have done the locking utility boxes in the bed. Now I can feel a little bit better about leaving rope or whatever else in there.

N-Fab Cab Length install and Rear Top deck removed, BesTop Installed.

More to come.
Attached Thumbnails
My 08 TRD Sport Taco Build-img_1777.jpg   My 08 TRD Sport Taco Build-img_1782.jpg   My 08 TRD Sport Taco Build-img_2004.jpg   My 08 TRD Sport Taco Build-img_2003.jpg   My 08 TRD Sport Taco Build-img_2001.jpg  

My 08 TRD Sport Taco Build-img_2000.jpg   My 08 TRD Sport Taco Build-img_1999.jpg   My 08 TRD Sport Taco Build-img_2006.jpg   My 08 TRD Sport Taco Build-mytacoma.jpg  
Old 07-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
jdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EDITED 09/09/2010

in the past 7 days, I have done 2 more mods.

1. AFE Stage 2 intake kit on 09/03/2010, this added a lot of roar under the hood. Listen to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5MTxTswGxw?fs=1

2. Today I had a magnaflow 18" muffler welded in. I am not sure if I like this yet, in the few miles I have driven the truck it feels like some low-end is gone, and I can't really hear it over the AFE intake. I am going to try and put some more miles on this weekend.

Update : Sounds great now, I suspect the packing has finally burned in. Check my fuelly link for MPG info, it is starting to up now.

Attached Thumbnails
My 08 TRD Sport Taco Build-img_0250.jpg   My 08 TRD Sport Taco Build-img_0252.jpg   My 08 TRD Sport Taco Build-img_0254.jpg  
Old 07-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
So I wanted a bit more storage space in my truck, and I picked up a Chest style box. It fit the dimensions (36"x15.5"x20"), so I ordered with the plans on painting it.

Before I go any further, Deflecta Shield 4436 (made in USA) is a horrible product. The day I received it I was very disappointed in build quality. I plan on writing a review with full details, but I made the best of it and fixed a few things to make it better.

The box looks decent, and had a very shiny and smooth finish.

The products I used to get the finished look.

After completley scoring every nook and cranny of that box, I used the self etching primer. Followed by 2 cans of the bed liner. I did however skip the clear coat, I want the box to fade.

The finished product.

One up close of the lid.

Looks good and is hidden below the bed line, and gives me 6.5 cubic feet of storage.
Attached Thumbnails
My 08 TRD Sport Taco Build-img_0576.jpg   My 08 TRD Sport Taco Build-img_0587.jpg   My 08 TRD Sport Taco Build-img_0591.jpg   My 08 TRD Sport Taco Build-img_0592.jpg  
Old 07-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
reserved for future information
Old 07-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
tim920's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. I like how you have so much outlets. I knew and had the guts to do all of those things. The wheels also looks good.

Good thinking on reserving the first 4 posts.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck man. When you gonna fill up the reserved spots? enough time has passed to have done a few more mods.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #9
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good. How's the ride on those blocks?
Old 07-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #10
Thanks for all the compliments! In cab outlets were a breeze to install, just followed the instructions for the mod here, but took it a step further by adding the USB ports and a hidden 12v USB hub to hook them up.

Truck rides great, everyone who gets in says its a smooth ride.

Reserve's spots will be filled in over time, I have a rule about spending money on vehicles that are on a loan. if I want to spend 500 bucks on mods, I must first pay an additional 500 bucks to my loan principle, only then will I do the mod. I don't see a super charger happening anytime soon.

This forum has been great and costly at the same time!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #14
installed AFE on 09/03 and shot video, then had a magnaflow 18" can put in. Update bump!
Old 10-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #15
tacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud of

Name: carlitos
tacomadude18's Tacoma Gallery
nice dude, how much was that i-pod module.? and how did you do it?
Old 10-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomadude18 View Post
nice dude, how much was that i-pod module.? and how did you do it?
I paid around 120 for the module, next time I have my glove box out I will take some photos of the install.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
You clear 285's with just a 2" lift? no rubbing?
Here are my wheel stats.
17x9 10mm offset. 285/70/R17. I don't have any rubbing issues. I did have to trim a small portion of the inner fender, but it's plastic on the dremel made it easy. Maybe 30 minutes of work, but well worth it.

Factory Wheels.
17x7.5 centered, on 285/70/R17 I had rubbing on the UCA.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #19
Installed a BesTop This weekend. So far so good! Didn't notice any unusual noise on the freeway, and I can hardly tell the BesTop is there!
Old 02-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #20
Put a tool box in the bed.