Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

switching from automatic to standard

Old 07-31-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
Red Devil is on a distinguished road
Name: Cuu
Red Devil's Tacoma Gallery
Question switching from automatic to standard

hello, i have 07 tacoma 2wd ..... i love my truck but wish that it had a manual transmission and was wonderin if there was anyone out there who could give some advice on the matter. i dont think i have enough room in the cab to do it and was wonderin if someone else has done this with the 2gen
Old 07-31-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Anything is possible, just a matter of time and money. Depending on the model, most of the 2007's were available with a standard transmission except the double cab long bed. Just a matter of finding a transmission and having a shop make the switch. I would imagine it would be a fairly expensive adventure to downgrade your truck (in the eyes of the dealer, personally, I wish I had a manual also).
Old 07-31-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Trade it for a stick. Very costly and complicated to switch.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
jrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the rough

Army: 101st Airborne
Name: Jason
jrws6's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure you spend a long and cozy test drive with a six speed truck.... drives totally different than any other manual tranny vehicle I have ever drove... I have drove everything from dump trucks to mustangs, willys jeeps to mercedes. These new 6 speeds, are different bc of a shitty shifter, and Electronic Throttle Control. If you do get one drive long enuff to realize how much it sucks, then order Gadget's URD Short throw. Gadgets shifter proably just kept me from trading my 09 in on an auto... The low gearing and fuel mileage still sucks tho.
Just My .02
Old 07-31-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
Blowin by em sideways
xroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ramon
xroller's Tacoma Gallery
I love my standard..... Then again most of my vehicles have been standard.... Before I bought the X I had an automatic frontier...... I missed standard so bad I had to go back.... So I sold it and got the X. Conversion can be done and may not even be that hard.... You may wanna find a new ecu though since this one will throw a CEL since it's not gonna be detecting the auto anymore. Since they offered this in a manual then all the bolt holes are gonna be there it's just a matter of finding the tranny.