Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Before you replace the blower resistor ...

Old 08-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
ibJAE will become famous soon enough
ibJAE's Tacoma Gallery
Before you replace the blower resistor ...

... Be sure to check the connector. It seems they have the same problem GM did back in the 80's on their blower relay. The amperage through the supply wire (white with blue trace) is too much for the size of the connector at the resistor. Due to this it appears it gets very hot then the female connector's tension to the male spade becomes weak and it burns. Thus the low and medium fan speeds will come and go. If you can wiggle the connector at the resistor and the fan goes on and off this might be the problem.

Here is a photo of the connector:

See how bad it is burned ...

The spades in the resistor housing are very small the one for the supply voltage should have been larger and a better style.

Once you remove the black retaining clip, use the correct release tool or a very small screwdriver and release the connector from the housing. Clean it up, scrape the contact surface and bend the tab that contacts the male spade (look at it and you can figure out what to do)

You could go buy a new connector but I tweaked the male spade a bit in the resistor so it would put tension on the female connector. These resistors appear stout but the connectors are weak. I can see where you could replace the resistor and due to the clean terminal it works ... for awhile. I think a better fix would be an updated resistor with a large male spade on that terminal and a new connector to match. I guess you could make your own. One thing, if you have the ability you could check the amperage draw of the motor to determine it is not drawing an excessive amount. But I think I am correct on the design flaw, seen it before in the 80's.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Good find!! I wondered if this might be part of the problem with blower resistors. The symptoms sounded too much like poor contact. Since I haven't had the problem I've never looked into it.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
seanmccarthy1 is on a distinguished road
seanmccarthy1's Tacoma Gallery
VERY NICE THANKS......ONTHIRD RESISTOR
Old 01-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Herp & Derp
1904Tacoma is on a distinguished road

1904Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I am also interested in knowing how you do this....please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRabbitFurHead View Post
what is "the correct tool" to remove the wire?
I'm attempting to use a small screwdriver but don't want to mess anything up. Do I depress the contact, push or something else?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Superx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joey
Superx2's Tacoma Gallery
I had a chevy before I bought my tacoma. I noticed when it was really muggy out in the summer my ac blower would condensate like a s.o.b. the condesation would drip, run, or leak onto the pig tail(the wires above) that's where it melted them. I don't know where the wires are at and am not too worried bout it. Just given ya all a heads up.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
KickAss is on a distinguished road
KickAss's Tacoma Gallery
First Post, Hi, and thanks, love this thread, not only helped myself but my neighbor as well!
OK, so here's where I am now: 2005 tacoma
start off,
Fan only works on high, find this thread, get the resistor, install it, perfect, fixed.
That lasted 1 week.
I have the telltale brown streak on the connector housing, I have cleaned it picked at it to tighten pinch on connector, added electrostatic gel, nothing, still only works on high. Doesnt work if I try to wiggle harness into resistor, so that tells me prob not that connection?
Pull the cabin filter, its dirty, but only about 6 months old, fish around in the fan itself with my hand, it has alot of leaves in it, maybe a small handful, if that, it wasn't full or anything.
I never had a problem til i installed the cabin filter, unbeknowst to me, there wasn't one in it when I bought it used 4 years ago.
sooo,,, do you think the fan motor blew the resistor?
What do you guys think?
get another resistor, and a new fan motor? replace the harness?
This sucks! the fan on that high is very tedious, radio has to be loud, but thank goodness, it works, I'm in orlando, FL, its just a little hot here now.
Thanks in advance for the help!
Charles
Old 07-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superx2 View Post
I had a chevy before I bought my tacoma. I noticed when it was really muggy out in the summer my ac blower would condensate like a s.o.b. the condesation would drip, run, or leak onto the pig tail(the wires above) that's where it melted them. I don't know where the wires are at and am not too worried bout it. Just given ya all a heads up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunsquatch View Post
Okay, I may be completely wrong, but I think that this plug and resistor pack is the same one that GM used on my old POS Canyon. If that is the case, mouser carries the parts.

Delphi number 12129565-B, mouser number 829-12129565-B is the male housing, $1.92 each

Delphi number12162597, mouser number 829-12162597 are the pins, $0.17 each

Otherwise if the plug itself has some numbers on it I think I can help you find the right one.
This looks to be the same plug that chevy uses. I will order one and find out.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm.. I'll check that out. My blower motor in my '07 acts up sometimes and doesn't blow air. It takes a little kick or smack to get it working again.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
This looks to be the same plug that chevy uses. I will order one and find out.
Total comes to $8.59, 1 plug 4 pins.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
LRGRNR

Winner winner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunsquatch View Post
Okay, I may be completely wrong, but I think that this plug and resistor pack is the same one that GM used on my old POS Canyon. If that is the case, mouser carries the parts.

Delphi number 12129565-B, mouser number 829-12129565-B is the male housing, $1.92 each

Delphi number12162597, mouser number 829-12162597 are the pins, $0.17 each

Otherwise if the plug itself has some numbers on it I think I can help you find the right one.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #13
ds46000 is on a distinguished road
ds46000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12TRDTacoma View Post
I wonder if this affects the new 2012 Taco's as well, is that plug on GMC Canyon better then the stock one?
Curious about this as well. And how would you replace the male pins coming out of the resistor side? Is there a way to do that?
Old 09-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #14
LRGRNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12TRDTacoma View Post
I wonder if this affects the new 2012 Taco's as well, is that plug on GMC Canyon better then the stock one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds46000 View Post
Curious about this as well. And how would you replace the male pins coming out of the resistor side? Is there a way to do that?
It's about the same. The contacts are the same size as the old one. This is mostly for those people that had plugs burn up on them and don't want to shell out what Toyota thinks they are worth.

Supposedly there is an updated resistor though.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #15
ds46000 is on a distinguished road
ds46000's Tacoma Gallery
sandman, do you have any info regarding the new resistor, or where you heard that from, etc? I've searched here and google and can't find anything. I think this is probably the route I will need to take though.

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #16
Yeah, there's a TSB for that!
DrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DrRabbitFurHead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
It's about the same. The contacts are the same size as the old one. This is mostly for those people that had plugs burn up on them and don't want to shell out what Toyota thinks they are worth.

Supposedly there is an updated resistor though.
Need info on the "updated resistor" please.
Mine went out again. Did the fix about 10 months ago, same problem again.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #17
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Subd
Old 11-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #18
Taco newbie
spkrman57 is on a distinguished road

Navy: Radioman Westpac 1976 - 1984
Name: Ron
spkrman57's Tacoma Gallery
I'm curious if the 2012 Taco's have updated resistors and connectors.

As a former electronics technician I can say they probably use only minimum current carrying terminals and resistors which will fail over and over again if not upgraded!

My old 2004 Chevy 1500 lost the different fan speeds over time. I sold it and bought a Toyota for the reliability and quality. I hope I made the right choice!

Has anyone measured a new resistor pack and recorded the values?

Regards, Ron
Old 11-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #19
I have a shovel and no one will miss you...
TidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant future

Name: Mendy
TidalWave's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd. My a/c and heat only work on "high" and living in Phoenix i will need to fix this soon.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #20
LRGRNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds46000 View Post
sandman, do you have any info regarding the new resistor, or where you heard that from, etc? I've searched here and google and can't find anything. I think this is probably the route I will need to take though.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRabbitFurHead View Post
Need info on the "updated resistor" please.
Mine went out again. Did the fix about 10 months ago, same problem again.
I was just scouring the forum and happened across it. I don't remember where it was. try to search.

edit: searched and found this PDF

Less than 20 mins worth of work. I guess we all are allowed to be lazy.