1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

n0rth's Tacoma build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by n0rth, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Mar 30, 2011 at 8:11 PM
    n0rth

n0rth [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J.W.
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    2009 Tacoma Access Cab SR5, 4wd, 2.7L URD S/C, 4:88's ARB lockers, 36x9.8r16 Radial TSL
    I am amazed with some of the issues that are coming out of the elocked rears seems like there is a new thread daily between TTORA and here. So it definitely seems like a ARB is the way to go for better strength and longevity. So far mine is holding up with no issues and it has definitely seen some abuse but I am not running a V6 so that may be why I haven't had any issues either.

2. Mar 30, 2011 at 8:37 PM
    all.on.black

all.on.black Well-Known Member

Member:
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab Sport with a few mods
    The tires are symmetrical enough is how I see it. There's a slight difference between sides but the tires get the job done. I love the tires so far. They've been the best tire I have used in the conditions that I run. They're also true to their size. Once these wear out I'll most likely move up to 37s. Since mine are still relatively new I don't think that'll be for a couple years.

As for the flares. I am redoing mine right now since I banged them up pretty good on some of the trails here. I then have to do a set of rear flares for another guy and then I'll have time to do yours. I have to see what your flares look like before I commit to them. Sometimes undoing someone's else work is more of a pain than it's worth.

3. Mar 30, 2011 at 8:52 PM
    n0rth

Member:
    First Name:
    J.W.
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    2009 Tacoma Access Cab SR5, 4wd, 2.7L URD S/C, 4:88's ARB lockers, 36x9.8r16 Radial TSL
    Cool, I'm glad your enjoying the MTR's. I definitely understand the deal on trying to finish up someone elses work. I still have some options on finishing them so I will see how it goes and check back with you.

4. Apr 2, 2011 at 9:30 PM
    n0rth

Member:
    First Name:
    J.W.
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    I did some work on the FJ today and took it out in the desert for a test drive and ended up sticking it pretty good in the mud. So I went back to the house and grabbed the Tacoma to pull it out. Here are some pics from the adventure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :eek::eek::eek:

5. Apr 3, 2011 at 10:21 AM
    n0rth

Member:
    First Name:
    J.W.
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    Thanks, I have not heard anything new about the 5.29's for the front clamshells but I also haven't been bugging anyone about them lately. I will email some gear manufactuers as a gentle reminder soon and give Chase at ECGS a call I have some other stuff to ask him about and will inquire about 5.29's. Are you still going SAS with your rig this summer? or going to hold off for a while longer.

6. Apr 23, 2011 at 1:50 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Awesome build man. Truck looks great.:thumbsup:

7. Apr 23, 2011 at 4:52 PM
    n0rth

Member:
    First Name:
    J.W.
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    I know what you mean, it seems like a lot of folks have some in the works but I have not heard any solid dates that they will be available. Might as well get the most out of the IFS until then and save yourself some headaches.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Here are some pics of a used black softopper I picked up locally on CL. I think my curiosity of how black would have looked caused me to be a little impulsive on picking it up. I am thinking I like the tan better it seems a little more unique but I think the black looks pretty good as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm gonna run the black one for a little while and see if it grows on me.:confused:

BassAckwards likes this.
  8. Apr 23, 2011 at 4:58 PM
    jacob_wood

jacob_wood Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Jose, CA (Nor-Cal)
    Vehicle:
    2010 SSM DCLB
    Stick with the TAN :).

9. Apr 23, 2011 at 5:01 PM
    n0rth

Member:
    First Name:
    J.W.
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    That's my gut feeling I think the black one will be headed to the F/S thread in the near future......

10. Apr 23, 2011 at 5:02 PM
    jacob_wood

jacob_wood Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Jose, CA (Nor-Cal)
    Vehicle:
    2010 SSM DCLB
    Yeah the tan just sets off the truck better, and blends well all together.

11. Apr 23, 2011 at 10:39 PM
    singlefin

singlefin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hood River, OR
    Vehicle:
    Syncro
    Think your color is the only one that works well with the tan.

12. May 1, 2011 at 8:08 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

EatMyTacomaDust Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 "Black Beauty" Baja DC 4x4
    ICON 3" LIFT, Console Vault, Tailgate Security Clamp MOD, SuperBumper Crash Attenuator, TRD Front Skid Plate, Wet Okoles - 1/2 Piped, Undercover SE Tonneau
    Tan looks great - esp with your rims. My favorite thread and truck so far. . .

13. May 2, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    wyotaco06

wyotaco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Offroad 4x4 06
    Nope, I have friends that work on the slope. I worked on Ft. Wainwright for Alaska Fire Service BLM.[/QUOTE]

Wow, man!! Very impressed with the work you have done to your truck. I have worked on a Forest Service handcrew for the last 4 seasons and this summer will be apart of the Bonneville Shots w/BLM in SLC.
    From a guy born and raised in Rupert ID, and a fellow ski bum with six winters in Jackson WY under my belt:woot:

Keep up the sick work on the truck and have a safe summer!!! Lets go wheelin sometime(I know your 4 banger access cab locked F/R will put my TRD offroad to shame but its:cool:, I got tow straps!!)

14. May 3, 2011 at 11:49 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Great build man. Wondering if you're getting any rub at full lock/stuff on the rear of the fenderwells above the cab mount.

If not, what kind of alignment numbers do you have?

15. May 5, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    n0rth

Member:
    First Name:
    J.W.
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    Thanks, for the input the tan topper is back on the truck but it is configured a little differently. I'm not sure what the plan is for the black softopper yet but I am thinking about doing some modifications to it before I go to cutting and sewing on the tan topper. The idea would be to split the sides so the corners remain when the sides are rolled up more like the Bestop the seems already exist I am not sure if I would have to put a support in the corners but that looks like the best option. The way things are going it will be one of those projects that may or may not happen we'll see...

Wow, man!! Very impressed with the work you have done to your truck. I have worked on a Forest Service handcrew for the last 4 seasons and this summer will be apart of the Bonneville Shots w/BLM in SLC.
    From a guy born and raised in Rupert ID, and a fellow ski bum with six winters in Jackson WY under my belt:woot:

Keep up the sick work on the truck and have a safe summer!!! Lets go wheelin sometime(I know your 4 banger access cab locked F/R will put my TRD offroad to shame but its:cool:, I got tow straps!!)[/QUOTE]

If you make back to the area and want to go wheeling shoot me a PM. Growing up in the area I'm guessing you know some pretty good spots. Congrats on getting picked up with the shots, I know I enjoyed my time as a shot and am considering going back when the right oppotunity opens up. I did not really have a chance to ski much this winter so hopefully I can make up for it this upcoming winter. Good luck and be safe this summer.

Thanks, We cut my cab mounts at an angle so they would take the rub rather than the fenderwells as well as limiting the uptravel with a set of timbren bumpstops. I used the Tacoma bumps but probably should have gone with a set for the FJ from what I understand they are a little softer. I do get a little rub on the cab mounts but the fenderwells seem to be in the clear at this point. I do plan to rework the cab mounts this summer so at that point it may needed to pound the fenderwells back more or tub them. As for alignment numbers I believe I'm at +1 but would need to look at the last alignment receipt to be sure. Hope this helps let me know if you need any more info I will look for my actual numbers and let you know what I find if it is any different.

So I might as well throw in some pics of the truck I have been able to mess around with it in the evenings after work and ride the dirtbike a little as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ......throw the stick dammit.....I don't care about trucks...only sticks...

16. May 5, 2011 at 8:44 PM
    n0rth

Member:
    First Name:
    J.W.
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    Few more pics added the can rack and messed around in the desert a little this evening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hoping to get out this weekend and and do a little wheeling.....

17. May 13, 2011 at 3:58 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    Very respectable build. I've lurked on this thread so many times.. finally decided I had to compliment it. :thumbsup:

18. May 13, 2011 at 4:12 PM
    Tacoma831

Tacoma831 Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    OME 886 Coils, OME Shocks, OME Dakars, Snug Top, De-Badged, ARB Bullbar, XRC8 Winch
    Such a nice build, I love what you did with the truck. Looks stout.

19. May 13, 2011 at 5:44 PM
    n0rth

Member:
    First Name:
    J.W.
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum

Thanks Fellas,

I went out yesterday after work and played around in the rocks near my house. I got some things that need a little work but all in all the truck did pretty good. I am moving at the end of the month into a new place so updates may be few and far between over the next few weeks. I talked to Wyatt at RST and the 4.7 gears for the crawl box are on backorder until sometime in Aug. Now that the 886's are settled I need to work on the cab mounts again. We are finishing up the flares at this time a friend of mine has them in Colorado and he said he would be willing to do more if folks are interested. I also have a line on some aluminum skids currently they are still test fitting them and will know more in the upcoming weeks.

I forgot my camera yesterday, but took a bunch of crappy cell phone pics and sent them to the live thread so here you go. I will get some better pics up soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a few from when I was putting the swingout tire carrier back on, I actually used my camera for these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. May 14, 2011 at 2:05 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    you sir have an amazing build! if i get the 2.7 as apposed to the v6 im definitely getting a little lift like that. idk if this has been asked before, but what kind of mpg's were you getting back when you just had the trd wheels and the lift on it? and whats our mpg's now?

Products Discussed in

To Top