Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

n0rth's Tacoma build

Old 10-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #21
hwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant future
hwork50's Tacoma Gallery
Subscribed! Just curious what hurt your gas mileage the most? Where were you at and where are you at now?

Thanks,
Old 10-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #22
n0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USDI BLM
Name: J.W.
n0rth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwork50 View Post
Subscribes! Just curious what hurt your gas mileage the most? Where were you at and where are you at now?

Thanks,
The best mileage was 26 MPG with a tail wind and stock tires, otherwise the truck has averaged right around 20-21 MPG in the summer and in winter I try not to look but around 17-18 MPG is average for it. I will be curious to see the mileage with 35's and the added weight of bumpers and skids. I usually take my trip mileage (reduced by 10%) and divide it by gallons at fill-up. I'm sure there is a better way to track it but I'm not sure what it is.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #23
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0rth View Post
The best mileage was 26 MPG with a tail wind and stock tires, otherwise the truck has averaged right around 20-21 MPG in the summer and in winter I try not to look but around 17-18 MPG is average for it. I will be curious to see the mileage with 35's and the added weight of bumpers and skids. I usually take my trip mileage (reduced by 10%) and divide it by gallons at fill-up. I'm sure there is a better way to track it but I'm not sure what it is.
scan gauge. I'm pretty sure it can account for wheel differences but not as sure about the gears but it may be worth looking into.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #24
n0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

n0rth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
scan gauge. I'm pretty sure it can account for wheel differences but not as sure about the gears but it may be worth looking into.
I have been wanting a Dakota digital to calibrate the speedo with. Will a scan gauge calibrate as well? The gears threw my speedo off by 10 or so MPH and add in the tires.....I was lost so I came up with my method using known mileages and comparing to trip mileage and it was really close to 10 or 11% actual vs. recorded.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #26

n0rth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure you only "calibrate" what has on its display.
Cool thanks for the info, I will have to look into it.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #28
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have been wanting a Dakota digital to calibrate the speedo with. Will a scan gauge calibrate as well? The gears threw my speedo off by 10 or so MPH and add in the tires.....I was lost so I came up with my method using known mileages and comparing to trip mileage and it was really close to 10 or 11% actual vs. recorded.
No, it won't. Calibration of the speedo is a good idea. We did that for my cousin's Ranger when he did his SAS.

Truck looks good so far. I'm glad you decided to regear, it makes the WORLD of difference!
Old 10-03-2010, 05:09 AM   #29
Are you Recreationally Insane?
mr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brant Luckow
mr.trd's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up. Now I am off to CBI to go work on my rear bumper and see your bumpers! And yes, there is alot of talk at the shop about them being just plain bad ass! See you in a few hours. LOL
Old 10-03-2010, 05:59 AM   #30
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Owen
MadeInMaine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MadeInMaine
she's a beaut!
Old 10-03-2010, 07:07 AM   #31
-Doomsday Squad-"game over man"
RaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud of

RaginCajun's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome build man! Awesome looking Tacoma!
Old 10-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #32

n0rth's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the comments. I promised some pictures of the bumpers so here they are. They are not finished yet but should be later this week. Things left to do on the front is plate and recess where the CBI logo and hawse fairlead sit so that a roller fairlead will sit vertical and not at the current angle the face of the bumper is. It will make sense when I post pics of the finished front bumper. We did test fit it for some teaser pics.

Here is the rear bumper, the swingout for the spare, jerry can holder and recovery tabs aren't finished yet but should be done next as well. I am really happy with the work CBI has done and that they are willing to work with me on how I would like it to function and look.

Here are the sliders with kickouts, They are mounted on the truck currently but still need to drill the frame to finish the mounting and paint everything.

I did play around on the RTI to flex the new OME Dakar springs and check out the timbren bumpstops. They are really cool and should keep the 315's from munching the rear fenders. I am still working on the set-up for the front and think it will get a set of Timbrens as well.

So that is it for now I wanted to thank Steve at CBI as well as Brant and Ryan for helping me out.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #34

n0rth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Very unique! I never would have guessed it when you said you did something different. So Steve worked with you on the weekend? That's incredibly nice of him.

Which winch do you plan to drop in there?
Steve was there to work on Brant's rear bumper and I crashed the party with my buddy Ryan as today was my only day off and I had to see it in person.

I have a Warn M-8000 that I will be putting in there. I have one on my 72 Cruiser that has never let me down and I know my FJ is heavier than the Tacoma.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #35
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Badass truck. I love all the mods youve done. It looks great, and it probably works great too. nice job
Old 10-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #36
4wd tacoma
trd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
trd7's Tacoma Gallery
amazing truck deff. one of my favs!@!!
Old 10-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #37
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Steve was there to work on Brant's rear bumper and I crashed the party with my buddy Ryan as today was my only day off and I had to see it in person.

I have a Warn M-8000 that I will be putting in there. I have one on my 72 Cruiser that has never let me down and I know my FJ is heavier than the Tacoma.
That worked out well.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:18 PM   #38
Taco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Helo nighttime recon extended perimeter security
Name: David
Taco4x4NC's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up

With all the mods and additional weight added and larger tires, do you have regrets about not going with the V-6? Those are some pretty hefty tires/rims and bumpers for the 2.7 liter.
Great pics and I am partial to the your color choice.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #39

n0rth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco4x4NC View Post
With all the mods and additional weight added and larger tires, do you have regrets about not going with the V-6? Those are some pretty hefty tires/rims and bumpers for the 2.7 liter.
Great pics and I am partial to the your color choice.

I don't regret going with 2.7L yet.... I looked at the V6's and just didn't think that was the way to go for me. I like inline motors whether it is a straight six or a four cylinder. These are pretty torquey little motors and what I don't have for a motor I can make up with gears. I just wish they made 5:29's for the 2nd gens they will eventually, so until then the 4:88's will have to do which I think will be fine for commuting. I do know off-road they are gonna leave me wanting more so a crawl box is where I can make up the difference. Of course this is speculation at this point as I have parts scattered about and not on the truck yet. So only time will tell and it is all part of the process and that is one of the best parts for me personally. I like the stickers on your truck and the color is the best Toyota color so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoridinhigh View Post
Nice build man. Love the armor.
Thanks, your truck is awesome rocking the 37's and armor. I'll let folks know when I head to NM if anyone is interested in wheeling and want to meet up. I am hoping to make it down to pick up the Cruiser.