Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

The Build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #41
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks!

I should make one mention, I did flip the quick fist that is near the spade. It felt more secure with the opening having to tug downward.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #42
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So my Midland CB gave up about 2 months ago. I decided this time to go with something that mounted in the cubby under the stereo head unit. Choices were either Cobra 19 DX IV , Midland 1001z, or the Uniden 520XL. The Midland didn't seem as good as the other two. Cobra and Uniden seemed pretty evenly matched, so I went with Cobra based on looks :P

I started the install yesterday night. I'm copying MrGrimm for the install. He's been very helpful with guidance.

A couple notes so far:
-To be able to mount the CB here, you need a Scoshe dash kit. I had a Metra kit, and the cubby is much shorter in height.
-you will need to cut a hole big enough in the cubby so that the CB can recess back into the dash.
-You need to retain the factory clips so you can transfer them to the studs on the new Scoshe dash kit. Unfortunately, Scoshe didn't make the mounting quite right, so I needed to dremel out some holes for the clips to mount to.
-the scoshe kit comes in two parts, the overall trim piece as one, and the legs as another. The legs have a flat plate that mounts to the cubby via two screws. Unfortunately, when you cut the hole so you can recess the CB, you cut off one of the screw mounts. MrGrimm says the clips are all that is needed, but I'm going to see what I can do with some glue or something.
-To wire the unit, I used an add-a-fuse to plug in to the fuse panel behind the coin pouch. For a ground, I used a crimp-on connector with a hoop end and a self-tapping screw. I mounted this on a flat steep plate that was near the pedals.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #43
Toyota Man
Toyota Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Former Reserve Police Officer
Toyota Man's Tacoma Gallery
Very Nice Build!
Old 09-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #44
Nuggety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Man View Post
Very Nice Build!
Thanks! I have the CB all done, but haven't got a pic yet to upload.

I had my RCAs give out near the head unit (they were crappy and near-worn when I put them in, never should have done it), so time to run new cables.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #45
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
So whats the plan for belly armor?

Old 10-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #46
Nuggety

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaKid View Post
So whats the plan for belly armor?

I think there's only one choice - Budbuilt. I think I only need a front skid at this point
Old 10-13-2011, 12:34 AM   #47
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome build. Reading through it gave me a couple of ideas.

Thanks
Old 10-31-2011, 08:38 PM   #48
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
I think I can, I think I can,

http://s1126.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSCN9616.mp4
Old 01-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #49
Nuggety

JLC Lighting CREE LED Reverse Lights

For under $50, you can't say no. So easy, I installed them in 12" of snow in about 10 minutes.

I think the difference is great!

Old 01-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #50
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
JLC Lighting CREE LED Reverse Lights

For under $50, you can't say no. So easy, I installed them in 12" of snow in about 10 minutes.

I think the difference is great!

I like. I'm gonna need to look into those
Old 01-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #51
Nuggety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I like. I'm gonna need to look into those
here's the link. The ad is a bit confusing, but the 168/194 are the ones you want. Let me know if you are going to want them soon and I can hook you up with a 10% discount
Old 01-22-2012, 12:19 AM   #52
Nuggety

Body Mount Chop

As we all know, moving up in tire size means that you invariably rub on the front body mounts to some degree. I'm fairly lucky that I only rub when I stuff the tire, but it's still something I've needed to have done.

John at Auburn Car Repair & Offroad hooked me up with a body mount chop today. I can barely tell the difference between what he did and the factory lines - he's that good.

Underside (excuse the dirt)

End result with fender flare cuts (done by me - no science here, just a utility knife)

Old 01-22-2012, 12:25 AM   #53
Nuggety

That's Off Track Motorsports race rig. John's one of the members. You can find them on facebook.

I talked to John about it, and I guess they aren't going too whole hog on it because it's a pre-production FJ (6th FJ ever made!) and by federal law, has to get scrapped after a preset number of years. Thank your congressman when this fine machine becomes a Pepsi can.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #54
Nuggety

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
what if it got "stolen" and someone just used it as a trail rig that was trailered and never registered ?
considering it's never seen license plates, about the only part of your statement that still works is the 'stolen' part i'm sure John's thought of any way to rescue it, but it all ends in having feds chase you
Old 01-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #55

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
but it all ends in having feds chase you

With big guns
Old 01-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #56
gottahot1 has a spectacular aura aboutgottahot1 has a spectacular aura about
Name: T.D.
gottahot1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I really need to take a detail picture of his work to show the quality.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Old 01-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #57
Nuggety

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottahot1 View Post
^^^^ THIS ^^^^

It's been awful weather today, and I was busy wheeling in it. Hopefully I get a chance tomorrow
Old 02-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #58
Nuggety

Damn I'm bad with pictures. Setting a calendar reminder!

Anyway, another small update for the CB section regarding what I said about needing proper coax length:

"UPDATE: I was wrong, read here. Correct length is whatever gets to the stud and back to your radio, no need for this 18' increments BS"
Old 02-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #59
Nuggety

Updated the body mount chop section with a new detail picture.
Pictures courtesy of the best camera on Earth.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #60
Nuggety

ATO Hi-Lift Jack Mount

I realized I wasn't going to get around to figuring out a better way of doing this, so I sucked it up and bought ATO's Hi-Lift mount on a group buy.

Works nicely, I did a test drive and I can't tell the jack is back there.

The jack fits in just snug. This is how close it comes to the cab...

... and how close it comes to the bed

Products Discussed in this Thread