Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

The Build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #101
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Going to try the 2nd hole later tonight because it's definitely resting on the shackles. I can see the slight score marks from driving in to work today.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #102
all.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shed

all.on.black's Tacoma Gallery
Your angle looks fine. But the shackle is resting on the mount. That looks like a crappy design to me. Even in the second hole you might run into the same problem on full compression.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:09 AM   #103
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Just got in from redoing it all. Looking better I think but right now I'm too tired to post a pic.
With what I know now, I think I agree the design could be better. It was trying to be one size fits all. I don't know how much it will compress and if it will smack. Do they normally come back far enough that the shackle would go more than 45 degrees?
Old 04-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #104
all.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It depends on your overall spring length. Some springs are a few inches longer than stock and have a larger arc, so when you compress them it'll drive the shackle far enough up to hit the shackle mount. You'd have to compress the spring to see if it hits.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #105
Nuggety

I'm hoping this looks correct....

Old 04-11-2013, 11:02 PM   #106

It's better but it really should be between the 1st and 2nd hole. Your springs will be softer with the shackles mounted that way. I'd get 1 inch longer shackles and go back to the first hole. You can try mine out if you want.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #107
BBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
BBtacosurfer's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed! Thank you for the write-ups, very helpful especially since now I'm deciding on tire sizing.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #108
Nuggety

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBtacosurfer View Post
Subbed! Thank you for the write-ups, very helpful especially since now I'm deciding on tire sizing.
Glad to be of help

Quote:
Originally Posted by all.on.black View Post
It's better but it really should be between the 1st and 2nd hole. Your springs will be softer with the shackles mounted that way. I'd get 1 inch longer shackles and go back to the first hole. You can try mine out if you want.
If I mange to meet up with you that would be great.
Pavement so far has been fine, haven't made it out anywhere in a loooong time
Old 06-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #109
Nuggety

GPS RAM Mount

I'm volunteering with a 4x4 Search & Rescue team these days. Part of the accessories required for the job include a better GPS, such as the Garmin 60csx or the 62 series. I got a lucky deal on a 62stc.
Since it's a device that I need to reference a lot and also possibly take with me when I get out of the vehicle, I wanted a good mount. RAM Mounts delivered! I took a page from Benson X on this one and mounted to the A pillar's handle bolt.

RAM Mount parts needed:
RAM-B-367U
RAP-B-200-2U
RAM-B-238U
RAM-HOL-GA41U

Old 06-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #110
Nuggety

Accessory Fuse Block

I'm going to add a HAM radio soon. With all the added gear I have inside the vehicle that demands power, it's time to get better organized.

I ordered a 12-circuit Blue Sea fuse block and, from a friend's recommendation, a master switch (also Blue Sea).

First, I needed to move the winch controller from where it was to the passenger side near the radiator

This gives me room for the fuse box and related gear.

The mount is re-purposed from leftover steel from Benson X's skid plate. Thanks to 55chevy05taco for the welding work. The steel is T-shaped and has two gussets on the bottom. It is held on to the side of the engine bay with two bolts that go into factory holes.

Yes, it's a bit overkill, but use what ya got, right?

I still have wiring to do, but all my wire is at my Dad's so it must wait.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #111
Nuggety

SnugTop Sportsman Canopy

I bought a used canopy to keep my gear safe and dry. Benson X helped me find a good deal on a used cap.

unfortunately, when I got it home I noticed that the hinge holding on the rear glass was separating. The local canopy dealership said it's a non-serviceable part and would cost $350 for new glass. However, I took it to the local welding shop and they managed to do up a fix for under $30. Works better than ever

Old 07-19-2013, 04:39 AM   #112
gottahot1 has a spectacular aura aboutgottahot1 has a spectacular aura about
Name: T.D.
gottahot1's Tacoma Gallery
Did the seller disclose the issue with the hinge (that's why it was a good deal) or did you notice it before you bought it?

*EDIT* I just re-read and it seems that you didn't notice it until you got home. At least you got an inexpensive fix out of it but shame on the seller for not mentioning it. It's probably the reason he/she was selling it in the first place.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #113
Nuggety

The seller's original intent was to sell it because he had bought a tan 2013 Tacoma. I called the seller and he sounded like he didn't know about the issue either, and originally was willing to take it back, but I think he got talking with family and they convinced him that it wasn't his problem.

Oh well, all worked out in the end.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #114
Nuggety

Two hidden extra cigarette power adapters

I did this which gives me a permanent power option for my GPS units, and wires into my fuse block.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #115
Nuggety

OTRATTW Dash Switches

I never liked the stock fog light switch. It was too hard to tell if it was on or off. I even had one instance where I left covers on my Hellas and bumped the switch. I didn't melt anything, but I don't like burning those bulbs for nothing.

Additionally, I wanted some good, quality switches for some of my other mods. I wanted:
-Factory look
-Readable switches
-backlit in the same color as the rest of everything
-rocker style so I know when it is ON!
-a separate light that comes on when the switch is on, just as a secondary indicator
After lots of searching, the Carling switches from OTRATTW were what I was looking for. They even let you customize the text!

The switch models are as follows:
VVPZCSC-1AL 'Apocalypse Lights' with custom text for 'ABS CANCEL'. Amber upper independent, daylight bright red lower dependent
VVPZCG2-10R 'Off-road Lights'. Amber upper independent, daylight bright red lower dependent
VVPZCGP-151 'GPS'. Amber upper independent, amber lower dependent

To get the lights lit and dimmable, I made 'tail' wires. One end taps into factory wiring, the other end has a male spade connection. I then junctioned several wires into a female spade connector and plugged it together. This way I can branch the wires off to the switches. If I ever need more child wires, I can disconnect the spade and make another set of children.
For the positive lead, I connected in to an unused set of wires (probably for DAC, LSD, or VSC, which I don't have). For the ground, I spliced into the dimmer switch. I believe it was a white/purple wire. If you don't use this wire, your switches won't dim!

Since I was replacing the OEM fog light switch, I needed the pinout diagram. Fortunately, I ran across this post, which describes things perfectly. Note that both picture wiring is basically identical. The resistor that is added in the first picture is used to light up a dependent bulb on the switch (i.e., the red lower light of my new switch).

The O/R lights and the ABS cancel switches are supposed to have a bottom non-dimmable red light that comes on when you turn on the switch.
The O/R light needs a resistor that I didn't have on hand - so, a project for another day.
AS for the ABS switch, I don't think I can make it light the bottom based on the connection (maybe just needs jumpering). Oh well, still rocker style.
The GPS switch is a different style, and the bottom does light up properly. (not shown in the photo)

Looks like I blew the light on the diff lock or maybe loose connection... problem for another day.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #116
Nuggety

Added Redline Tuning hood struts. My God, I'm doing this to all the vehicles I ever own. Fairly easy install and the benefits are so huge.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:36 PM   #117
Nuggety

Rear High Clearance Bumper

I had enough of bumping the tow hitch around when offroading, being nervous about bedsides and bumpers (which have already seen some abuse), so I decided to do something about it.

My original intention was to do a standard height wraparound bumper, but bent pieces needed to go, and grand plans began to unfold. A hidden hitch was needed! A tire gate! Rotopax! How about some lights? With plans swirling in my head, I just needed a fab guy, and 55chevy05taco stepped up to the plate. If he had known what it was going to take, I'm not sure he would have agreed!

First up, getting rid of useless pieces. I'm getting more used to this now.

Tonight's tools are sponsored by Office Depot. Our lift features height adjustment, lumbar support, and multi position armrests

First full fitting and driveable. I still need final paint (we intend to use Raptor Liner), and bump stop for the swing gate to prevent it going too wide, safety chain holders (for towing) and the lights.

The bedsides are cut even with the bottom of the tail lights.
Bumper is 5.5" tall on the sides
Bottom of bumper is 28" from the ground

From our guesstimates, I've gained at least 6-7 inches of side clearance, plus whatever the height of the hitch is for rear clearance.

I have discovered one downside - ground clearance was directly proportional to garage clearance. If I want to close the garage door, I lose 6" of garage space
Old 01-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #118
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
it lives!

why does this somewhat remind me of Seans truck?
Old 03-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #119
Nuggety

Moved some stuff around and added an extinguisher

By the way, this shot was taken at about 9pm with no flash. All light was supplied from the light bar I picked up from superbrightleds.com and mounted to the shell. steal of a deal and puts out a ton of light.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #120
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
What's the light bar look like

Products Discussed in this Thread