Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Chris(NJ); Slowly but surely, a build journal

Old 11-24-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Chris(NJ); Slowly but surely, a build journal

How it sits as of right now:

I figure I should start this now before I forget the things I've done along the way. Gonna be a slow build, but here goes.....
I purchased my truck in January 2010, used, from Camelback Toyota in Phoenix. It had 32k miles on it when I purchased it.

Truck Specs
2008 Indigo Ink Blue
Double Cab, TRD Offroad, 4x4
6 Speed Manual 4.0L V6

Front Suspension
Bilstein 5100 set to .85
Eibach/Toytec Coils
Downsouth UCA's
Toytec 1/2" Spacer
Swaybar removed

Rear Suspension
Bilstein 5100
Dakar Leaf Pack
3mm Axle Shims
Driveshaft Carrier-Bearing Drop

Aesthetics:
15% Tint
Debadged
WeatherTech Digital Fit Mats
WeatherTech In-Channel Window Vents
Grillcraft Front Grille
Rear diff Breather Relocate
Removed Front mudflaps
Plasti-Dipped Lower Front Valence
Sockmonkey Bed Decals
Army Surplus Additional D-Ring Tiedowns
Redline Hood Struts

Lighting
Morimoto HID Retro Fit w/ Philips 4300k Bulbs
Indigo Ink Matched Headlight Bezels
Fog Light Anytime Mod w/ Yellow Lenses
Oznium LED's under hood
Random LED's under rails in bed
BDF Light Bar, behind grillcraft
Rigid Industries SM-R Flush Mount Auxiliary Reverse LEDs

Wheel/Tire:
MT Classic IIs 16x8
Duratracs 285/75/16

Brakes:
Goodridge Front SS Brake Lines
Toytec Extended Rear SS Brake Lines

Exhaust/Intake
TRD Exhaust
Intake Manifold Spacer

Recovery Gear
ARB Snatch Strap ARB705US

Armor
. . . . . . .

Still to do:
. . . . . . .

Heres how it looked when I took ownership:

No mods were done for a few months. I drove the car back home to NJ in March.
A few things had to change. For one, the front tint wasnt even close to a match. From the dealer, it was more of a mirror tint vs charcoal. no bueno.
So, once back in NJ (04/2010), it needed a retint (15%) and a debadge.

10/2010, I ordered a GC mesh grille and painted the outer portion to match. Writeup here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...html?highlight=

11/2010: yellow fog mod, oznium under hood lights and ditched the front mud flaps.

12/2010: It was time for the Color Matched Headlight Mod. Indigo Ink Headlights, here I come! (Writeup is here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...oval-pics.html)

2/05/2011 - Fog Anytime Mod, New Wiper Blades, New Air Filter and New Cabin Filter. No pics necessary

3/9/2011 - Diff Breather Mod. Relocated the breather to the rear storage compartment.

3/14/2011: Plasti-Dip the lower valance.

Added some sockmonkey stickers on 4/14/2011:

and put this on, for somethin different:

HID Retro completed on 4/21/2011

Cargo locks added on May 9, 2011

6/25/2011 and 48,500 miles, I added the TRD exhaust.

7/10/2011: Redline Hood Struts and Rear lift was done. Rear height measures at 39 w/ stock tires, prior to any settling. Gonna remeasure eventually.

8/12/2011 and 50k miles: Front lift was completed using 5100s, eibach springs and 1/2" top place spacer. Also installed the MT Classic IIs and Duratracs in 285/75/16

Heres a combo pic. On 12/15/2011 and 53,780 miles, the BDF lightbar went in along w/ a new Die Hard Platinum Battery. I also painted the center section of the engine cover, which you can kind of see in the pic. (also relocated the horns)

Pictures of the Rigid Industries SMR flush mount reverse auxiliary light....

Here's how far they stick out...

And for reference, here's the same shot w/o the truck in reverse.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
I'm not sure how many pics I can put in each post, so I might as well put this mod in a new one...reserving a space for future pics and mods
Old 03-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
150,000 miles and counting
mcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud of

Name: sean
mcleod90's Tacoma Gallery
Damn that looks good. How do you like that grill craft
Old 03-14-2011, 10:36 PM   #5

Law Enforcement:
Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleod90 View Post
Damn that looks good. How do you like that grill craft
The GC is great! Fitment was tight, but overall, installation was easy. I was debating the lower piece, but w/ the ezpass and eventual installation of some fogs in that area, I thought it was best to leave it as-is for now.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:52 PM   #8

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusher View Post
Looks good! I like the underhood lights. Which ones did you use and how do you turn 'em on and off???
They are the led floods (warm white) from Oznium. I installed a hood pin switch so they come on when you open the hood and turn off when you close it. Heres how the pin switch was mounted:

Old 06-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #9

Law Enforcement:
Gotta reserve some more room for pics

waiting on everything to arrive for the 3" lift, light bar, hood struts and still have to install the headers
Old 07-15-2011, 08:20 AM   #10

Law Enforcement:
Plasti-Dip on rear bumper and rear lift installed.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:27 AM   #11
Dr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to behold

Name: Matt
Dr. Pepper's Tacoma Gallery
Good looking truck man. I'm loving that compass decal you put on your fender, good postion and def something different.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:31 AM   #12

Law Enforcement:
Thanks
Old 07-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #13

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Good looking bumper and rear lift, wonder where ya got the plasti-dip idear??
oh, just from some random ass swb truck that was parked across the street one day
Old 08-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #14
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #15

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
You make it up to David's today to get the tires mounted? Need to post up some pics!
Sure did! Pics coming soon
Old 08-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #16

Law Enforcement:
Added the classic IIs. Fwiw, here is the weight, minus the center caps (obviously).
Old 08-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #17
feltsphoto is on a distinguished road

Army:
Name: Mike
feltsphoto's Tacoma Gallery
Great lookin truck! Can't wait to get going on mine. Curious, did you remove the front flaps cause they rubbed? or just cause you wanted to?
Old 08-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #18

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by feltsphoto View Post
Great lookin truck! Can't wait to get going on mine. Curious, did you remove the front flaps cause they rubbed? or just cause you wanted to?
I removed those a while ago for no other reason other than I liked how it looked w/ just the rears on.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:36 PM   #19
leveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
leveltwo's Tacoma Gallery
i see you went from 18 mpg to 14 mpg with your lift and tires...

Old 08-31-2011, 01:47 PM   #20

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveltwo View Post
i see you went from 18 mpg to 14 mpg with your lift and tires...

Yea, that was a bad tank lol. I dont think it'll actually be 14. I'd say 15/16 is more likely the actual #.

Quote:
Keep in mind the actual calculation based on increased tire size, so it probably didn't drop as much as you think. If you go from a 31" to a 33" tire that is a 7% increase in distance traveled. So whatever your gas mileage you record at fuel up (mileage/gallons), multiply by 1.07 to get the actual gas mileage. So 14 mpg is more like 15 mpg

from the online tire size calculator

On another note, mods and margs still on for this weekend??
^^^^.

And it is absolutely still on!!!!