1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Udy's '06 TRD Sport Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by udy2554, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Feb 17, 2011 at 4:37 AM
    udy2554

udy2554 [OP] NORTHERN RED-NECK

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Toytec ULK, Light Racing UCA's, OME Dakar rear leaves, ARB Bumper with XRC8 winch, Good Year Duratracs 285/70/17's on 17x9" Level 8 Strike 6's. Leer cap in the winter. Pioneer Double Din with BT, iPod, etc. Boston Acoustic components in all 4 doors with a Sony amp, powered 8" sub. Ultra gauge, Tom Tom...
    At this point it's looking like a full mile per gal., maybe a hint more. It's kinda hard to tell, I do alot of mixed driving. Plus, I live in the hills and curves. Lots of pedal on the floor to make the hills! Most of my shifting is at 2000r's on the flats, and anywhere from 2500-3500r's on the hills. 60mph-65mph seems to be in the 2300rpm range. That's where most of my driving is.

2. Feb 20, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Toytec ULK, Light Racing UCA's, OME Dakar rear leaves, ARB Bumper with XRC8 winch, Good Year Duratracs 285/70/17's on 17x9" Level 8 Strike 6's. Leer cap in the winter. Pioneer Double Din with BT, iPod, etc. Boston Acoustic components in all 4 doors with a Sony amp, powered 8" sub. Ultra gauge, Tom Tom...
    Got my alignment done today. LeBrun Toyota is the dealer where the Toy was originallly bought, they've done all the scheduled maintainance since the original buy. The mechanic that did the alignment has a racing history and was quite anal about getting me the correct settings for my driving style. He is also ecstatic about the LR UCA's. He feels they have simplified the alignment process. Anyhow, the truck runs down the road awesome, which is nice because I didn't think there was much wrong with how it drove anyway. The only thing that was way off was the pass. side caster.

I love driving my Toy, and I can't say enough about the Duratracs in the snow...just AWESOME!!

Oh, I dropped the psi. down to 50 and it feels a little "squirmy". So...I went back up to 55psi. and will probably leave it there unless some excessive wear characteristics show up. I'm happy with the handling and ride there!!

3. Feb 23, 2011 at 2:06 PM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    In the interest of keeping the "build" up to date, I sealed the solenoid on my XRC8 in the 9* cold yesterday. Lots of silicone and dialectric grease.

That's all folks!!

4. Feb 23, 2011 at 10:23 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Good choice!

Well maybe not the 9* cold part but... :D

5. Feb 27, 2011 at 7:40 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    looking good OP

6. Mar 6, 2011 at 7:02 PM
    05tacoSPORT

05tacoSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    Geared and Locked
    GOT SALT? looks good bud

7. Mar 7, 2011 at 5:25 AM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Thanks guys. Out of money for major upgrades. Gassing it up will cost plenty!

Got salt?...YUP!!:D

8. Mar 11, 2011 at 1:24 PM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Just added some fogs in the topper so I can see at night. They are wired through the light circuit, then a switch. I'll probably end up wiring them independent at some point. But for now this works. I haven't seen them in the dark yet, but they seem to work pretty well in the light. I also mounted some LED's under the hood. Still gotta check them out in the dark.

Here's some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What's next? I'd like to do the 400w anytime mod, get the 12v cab socket hot at all times, and add a 12v socket to the bed.

0311111448.jpg
    0311111450.jpg

9. Apr 1, 2011 at 5:20 PM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    RedLine Tuning Quick Lift hood struts got installed today!:D

Pretty easy install, measure twice, mark and center punch the holes. Then drill.

[​IMG]

Mount/rivet the bracket in the first hole drilled, then center punch and drill second hole. Then rivet that one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, measure and mark the center of the lower bracket. There was some seam sealer in the way of the bracket, it pried off pretty easy. Again, mark the hole, center punch and drill. Then mount the bracket with the self-tappers provided.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, snap the strut in place. Cylinder goes up, shaft down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sweet and easy install. The instructions were pretty easy to follow. It took less than a half hour to do. I'm very happy about not having to lean over the bumper (especially after snow or rain), while holding the hood up with my finger tips and trying to install the hood prop. I'm not that tall. Now all I have to do is lift the hood about 6"-8" and it finishes by itself. It even slows the lift the last few inches.

10. Apr 3, 2011 at 3:44 PM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Removed the topper today, and a good washing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far, the ride is a little "bouncier" in back. Better accelleration for sure, it even sounds a little quieter in the cab. I'll be checking on mileage for a bit.

I don't know if I like the look or not. Time will tell!

11. Apr 23, 2011 at 11:24 AM
    EatMyTacomaDust

EatMyTacomaDust Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 "Black Beauty" Baja DC 4x4
    ICON 3" LIFT, Console Vault, Tailgate Security Clamp MOD, SuperBumper Crash Attenuator, TRD Front Skid Plate, Wet Okoles - 1/2 Piped, Undercover SE Tonneau
    One of the coolest trucks I've seen period. I love everything you've done to this truck.

Wheel spacers make your stance look mean and love the tires you chose. Love the OME stuff - beefy springs!!! ARB Rocks too.

Is that a Leer 100R Topper? How do you like it???

Thanks - Awesome truck man - Johnny

12. Apr 23, 2011 at 5:49 PM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Thanks Johnny! I don't know what model the Leer is, but I love the thing. It has the flip-up windows on the sides which makes it very convenient for getting at stuff! The cap is off for summer wheeling in the woods, but it will go back on for the winter.

I meant to go slow and easy on the build, but slipped and did it all before I had to argue with my wife about "building" it. I want to stay mild with the lift, though functional. I won't go any higher with lift or tires. Now it's time for armor and such. I want functional yet daily drivable.

Thanks again for the kudos!!!:D

13. Apr 23, 2011 at 9:36 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Nice lights and those struts are sweet too. Truck looks good without the topper.

14. Apr 24, 2011 at 5:35 AM
    705 Taco

705 Taco Zombie Killer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Barrie ON / St. Petersburg FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR AC
    --Stock 2016. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2011 had 6 inch ProComp lift, Eibach coils on 5100 Bilsteins at zero, 1/4 inch Toytec spacer on drivers side, rear TSB, 1.5 inch Deaver AAL, ProComp blocks and rear shocks, 8000 lb Warn winch on a Trans4mer grill guard, 33 inch BFG AT's, 18x9 XD Monsters, PIAA headlights, PIAA driving lights, Pyro's blue LED gauges, LED strip below tailgate, Armor Lid hard tonno, Hidden Hitch, Dee Zee bed mat, Tint, XM, Garmin GPS, Ultra Gauge
    I like how nice your truck turned out. I have the Eibach coils for mine and the 5100's on order. I might do uca's too. Not sure about the rear. How much rear lift did you get with the new packs? I didn't get duratracs. I went with Silent Armors instead because they are a lot lighter. I like them a lot. I also installed a winch. I got a good deal on a Warn M8000 from 4wparts. Came with a wireless remote too.
    Dean

15. Apr 24, 2011 at 6:10 PM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Thanks Max. The struts are worth their weight in gold. I would recommend them to anyone with a prop-rod style hood. It sucked leaning over the new bumper just to open the hood to check the oil etc. Now it's almost fun!:D

16. Apr 24, 2011 at 6:16 PM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Thanks!:) I did the uca's just to make sure! I've built a few trucks using the "trial and error" method. It gets expensive. I've found doing some research and spending a little more now is cheaper in the long run. I'm very happy with my setup. I believe the advertised lift in the rear is 2 3/4". I'm guessing that to be pretty acurate, but my truck had an AAL without the tsb done when I bought it. As far as winch goes, I went as inexpensive as I could. So far so good. I've used it on everything from a Honda wagon to a GMC 2500HD Extra cab Long Box. It was loaded to heaping with firewood and stuck to the axles in mud. It labored but never stalled.

Keep up the good work on yours, it looks nice!

17. Apr 24, 2011 at 7:00 PM
    705 Taco

705 Taco Zombie Killer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Barrie ON / St. Petersburg FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR AC
    --Stock 2016. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2011 had 6 inch ProComp lift, Eibach coils on 5100 Bilsteins at zero, 1/4 inch Toytec spacer on drivers side, rear TSB, 1.5 inch Deaver AAL, ProComp blocks and rear shocks, 8000 lb Warn winch on a Trans4mer grill guard, 33 inch BFG AT's, 18x9 XD Monsters, PIAA headlights, PIAA driving lights, Pyro's blue LED gauges, LED strip below tailgate, Armor Lid hard tonno, Hidden Hitch, Dee Zee bed mat, Tint, XM, Garmin GPS, Ultra Gauge
    Thanks. It's getting there. I know what you mean about research. If I would have done a bit more I would have skipped the spacer lift and went right for the Eibachs and 5100's.

18. Apr 25, 2011 at 2:00 PM
    tacoteacher

tacoteacher Well-Known Member

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 access cab 4wd
    Stock for now
    Nice truck, bro. I can relate-I was driving (still have a '67 F250 camper special that gets about 8 to the gallon:eek:) Apparently your wife is more generous than mine. I have to get a requisition signed from my wife to get stuff like food and underwear. Taco mods are a little more difficult:facepalm:

19. Apr 25, 2011 at 3:00 PM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I will only admit this ONCE in public. My wife gets my paycheck and has my checkbook. If I were to sign a check these days, I would probably be arrested for fraud, there is no way anyone would recognize my signature.

I haven't worn underwear since I was about 14 (thank you Sue E.) so there is no problem there.:D AND...my wife buys the food and my long johns, season permitting.

As far as Taco parts go, I will admit to some sneakiness:spy:. Side work pays for the parts. Right now the lift, tires and bumper are on a 0% credit card. Side work is paying that off before interest hits (12months). So far so good, but I will be broke till the card is paid off.:facepalm:

I'd love to see the camper special! I had an '89 F250 Centurion with the 460fi and c6. That got 8-9mpg's untill I did a 3" lift and 35's. That got me 12-14mpg. It really pissed off my friends with 302's and 351's. Same milage. To buy my Toy, I traded an '03 F250 with the v10. On a good day, it pushed 12mpg. Average was about 10. Winter fuel and idletime got me 7-8. It's gone. Even my Blazer with a 4-speed, stock 350tbi with 160,000miles got 12 if I didn't play with it. It was on 38's.

Thanks for noticing my build!:bowdown:

20. Apr 25, 2011 at 11:26 PM
    tacoteacher

tacoteacher Well-Known Member

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 access cab 4wd
    Stock for now
    My wife and I apparently have the same paycheck/checkbook arrangement as you guys:) I also do side work when I must have some tool/truck accessory etc. Uh, I can happily say That Sue E. never got to me:eek: I will upload a pic of the F250 when I locate a working camera-ours died a loud painful death at the beach:facepalm: BTW I'm originally from Rochester, NY (like 35 years ago). I'm not sure where that is in relation to Bath. Your place looks kind of rural-very cool. With the exception of the TRD package and your mods, I think we have the exact same truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top