Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

My brief Toyota pictorial history… (HomerTaco’s build)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
TOYWERX Grill Sergeant
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up My brief Toyota pictorial history… (HomerTaco’s build)

My love of the Toyota truck started with this:

Back to the Future
was a great movie no doubt - but it also made me realize that this was the vehicle I wanted to drive.

So, after leaving college I got a loan from the old man & bought this:

87’ 4x4 extra cab w/ the carbureted 22R motor. As I recall it had 40K on it…

I don’t have a shot from when I bought it new but the above was after my first accident! (I rear-ended an Oldsmobile)

Modding started back then too... I picked up a replacement bed & did a swap. The beds on the mid eightes toyota's rusted really bad.

This truck was just a great big TOY! I had a roll bar, cap & tonneu cover & I would switch it up for the seasons… I also went a little nuts with the pinstriping…. That grid pattern took several days. (give me a break – it was the 90’s)

Spring dance with my GF at West Chester University:

A snowboarding trip to my parents vacation house in the Poconos…

We had a hell of a time together! Then in the summer of 1999 I decided I was due for an upgrade so we parted ways and I bought my first brand new Tacoma:

My 1st get Tacoma was a 99’ TRD Off Road Extended Cab 4X4. 3.4 V6 w/ 5spd manual. Surfside Green Mica exterior & Gray Interior. 1st Gen TRD Supercharger, K&N Intake, Sony HU Carpet Bed liner Custom Diamond Plate mud flaps & Bed Rails + all the Lund Crap I could get for it.

At 178K she was recalled for the frame rust issue & Toyota bought her back for $11,970.00!!!
(1.5X the “excellent” Kelly Blue Book Value)

I was happy with the deal of course, but it was also very sad. I did EVERYTHING with that truck. I drove coast to coast in the spring of 2000 & camped out in YellowStone National Park. I cruised through the Bad Lands in North Dakota. Numerous trips towing my ATV's all over the Mid-Atlantic.

I took as much of the aftermarket items I could off before she went to be put down. This is the last picture I have from where she sat in Team Toyota's Shop waiting to be hauled away...

There are a few parts from her in my new truck…

As luck would have it, the day I got the check from Toyota for the buyback I found this:

07’ double Cab TRD Sport 4x4.
4.0 V6 6spd Manual
36K on the ODO and bone stock, save for the Wade vent shades the day I got it.

Here is a more recent pic of what she looks like today:

And with the current 35's:

I won't list all the mods but instead I'll post a few shots of the places I've been blessed to visit:

Montana

Wyoming:

Beech Creek:

Baltimore:

Centralia:

Rausch Creek:

Abandoned Pa Turnpike:

Texas Gulf Coast:

Moab:

And of course my tag:
Old 01-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Nice build!
Old 01-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
that 87 was pretty sick! are you gonna lift your current truck?
Old 01-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #6
TOYWERX Grill Sergeant
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Nice build!
Thanks Chris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 113tac View Post
that 87 was pretty sick! are you gonna lift your current truck?
Probably not... I use it for work & average 500 miles a week...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
Nice Craig
Thank you Susan!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson View Post
Very Nice! When you talked about parting with the '99, it made me sad
Thanks, I still have many fond memories!
Old 01-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
Probably not... I use it for work & average 500 miles a week...
ohhh alright, well it looks really good!
Old 01-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #12
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
Yeah... It is by far my favorite Mod to date!
Same here, I couldn't live without them.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #13
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Cool story,pics always make a story better
Old 01-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #15
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
i really want that grid pattern on my truck and sweet interior
Old 01-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #16
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good Craig. I lost my 97 to the rust, still kind of miss it. I keep a picture of it sitting in the dealers lot waiting to be hauled away in my sig.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #17
TOYWERX Grill Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyeatlanta View Post
i really want that grid pattern on my truck and do you have any interior pics

SERIOUSLY!
that grid pattern was laid by hand with vinyl 3/16th pinstripe...
I literally spent several DAYS laying it out & cutting by hand.
IMHO your time would be better spent finding a shop that could die cut a spool of it.
each square was 1"X1"
You can find a TON of interior shots in the DIY link in the original post or in my gallery.
Thanks!
Old 01-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #19
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
i didnt any any home depot stickers on it

nice work craig

Products Discussed in this Thread