Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

BenWA's low key budget 120,000 mile build >>>

Old 02-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
BenWA's low key budget 120,000 mile build >>>

I've had my Taco for over 5 years and 120,000 miles now, so I figured it was overdue for some upgrades.

Hoping to keep adding new cool stuff in the future for the next 120,000 miles.

UPDATE: truck now has 150,000+ miles and is doing great!

************************************************** ************************************************
Anyway, on to the specs:
Silver Streak 2006 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4x4, 4.0L V6, stock JBL system

Current pic:

Doing some field work out in the desert of WA state:

A pic and dumb little video that show that it was wheeled at least a little bit when it was completely stock:

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKDQq...&feature=feedu

Stock (this is how it looked with around 115,000 miles on it ) :

Current -- here's how it looks with around 130,000 miles on it :

New grille and smoked headlights makes it looks like a 2011

Katzkin two-tone all-leather interior!

A list of mods and accessories:

Mods before reaching 120,000 miles:
Wheelen front and rear hideaway amber strobes
Wheelen magnet-mount amber strobe mini lightbar for the roof
Hard-installed ipod/mp3 interface
Pioneer 10" shallow mount sub with 200W Profile amp, in homebuilt box
Clifford Matrix +1 alarm with glass break sensor
Mag lite mount
A/B/C class fire extinguisher with mount
Bed rail bike racks (for road bikes)
Dakine tailgate pad (for mountain bikes)
K&N intake/filter

Mods after reaching 120,000 miles:
Dock for HTC Thunderbolt Android with Google navigation and 4G
Powered rear sliding window mod
Hard-installed interior AC power outlet
400 watts all-the-time inverter mod
Fog lights on anytime mod
Smoked headlight mod
2010 color-matched grille (thanx the1youluv2hate!)
Bilstein 5100's on all 4 corners, set to 2.5" in front
LightRacing UCA's
Wheeler's 3-leaf progressive 1.5" add-a-leafs with overload leafs still on to give 2" rear lift
Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers
Goodyear Duratracs 285/75/16 Load E
Katzkin two-tone leather interior
Rear diff breather extension mod
Cheapo crome exhaust tip
Illuminated 4x4 switch (thanks rcbs!)
Maxxima LED amber strobe lights below rear tailgate

New 285 Duratracs on 2.5" Bilstein 5100 lift:

Smoked headlight mod:

My smoked headlight mod thread:

>>> http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...t-results.html <<<

LED windshield washer nozzles:

iPod / mp3 interface hard-installed:

Has both an 8-pin input for iPod cable and a 1/8" jack for using speaker phone / streaming Pandora from phone car dock:

Google Maps navigation on Android ... that's actually my Taco parked on the street in the Google image!

Interior dual AC power outlet hardwired to 400W inverter:

Custom homemade sub box that allows full use of driver's side storage bin:

My sub box build thread -- patched in the sub to factory JBL system:

>>> http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...-dc-check.html <<<

ummp-tssss ummp-tssss ummp-tssss ummp-tssss ummp-tssss ummp-tssss

Power rear sliding window:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHqzSpvBhoI

Window switch mounted on dash under 4wd selector:

CHECK OUT MY POWER SLIDING WINDOW MOD THREAD!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...stall-kit.html

Wheeler's 3-leaf 1.5" AALs:
[older pic -- have since put overload leafs back on to add additional 1/2" of rear lift]

[older pic at lower lift setting] Hate to see her go but love to watch her leave:

LED strobes hidden away beneath the tailgate:

Video of built in LED strobes below tailgate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MehQ2yNIN7g

Tonno-Pro Flip top tri-fold bed cover:

Pics don't really do justice to what 2.5" of lift and 32" Duratracs look like, but here is a crappy side-by-side pic with a stock Taco to sort of give an idea. Lift and added tire radius make it sit about 3" higher than stock overall:

Future mod wish list:
TRD exhaust
Bed lights
Underside armor
Rock sliders
Panoramic moonroof

Maybe/undecided mods:
ARB bumper w/ winch
Horny Toyota emblem
Angry eyelids
Black painted valance

Open to suggestions/idea on future mods...

That's all for now!
Old 02-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
nice truck and i want to see this lightbar you speak of
Old 02-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyeatlanta View Post
nice truck and i want to see this lightbar you speak of
Thanks

I don't have a pic of it on my truck, but this is the mini strobe bar I have:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1857_200361857
Old 02-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
Natedogg is on a distinguished road
Natedogg's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome. Love the straight-on rear-end shot.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
Psalm 109:8
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job.

Love that SSM...
Old 02-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #8

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the good words guys!

Gusher - had it not been for the pesky front diff vibes at a higher lift setting, my truck would be sitting higher on 33"s and would look an awful lot like a silver version of yours right now (minus the supercharger, plow, in-dash head unit, etc)
Old 02-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
Sigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to behold
Name: Sigi
Sigi's Tacoma Gallery
truck looks really good. Ready for another 120k
Old 02-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #10
mattmatt300 is on a distinguished road
mattmatt300's Tacoma Gallery
good looking ride!
Old 03-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #11

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
^ thanks all!

Poll:

Should I do any or all of the following:

1. De-badge & remove TRD stickers?
2. Color match the chrome grille bezel?
3. Get a Grillecraft black mesh grille with horny Toyota emblem?
4. Color matched Trex angry eyelids?

What say TW?
Old 03-24-2011, 05:43 AM   #12
SUPERCHARGED!!!
gusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Greg
gusher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWA View Post
Thanks for the good words guys!

Gusher - had it not been for the pesky front diff vibes at a higher lift setting, my truck would be sitting higher on 33"s and would look an awful lot like a silver version of yours right now (minus the supercharger, plow, in-dash head unit, etc)
ha ha...well, she looks pretty awesome as she sits now!

Quote:
^ thanks all!

Poll:

What say TW?
I say "yes" to all of the above. You're looking at a pretty reasonable cost and a rather dramatic improvement so go for it!
Old 03-24-2011, 05:47 AM   #13
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
That's pretty awesome.

Nice truck. Still runs like new?
Old 03-24-2011, 06:01 AM   #14
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
How do you like the wheeler's AAL? Do you have the TSB leaf pack and I can't tell, did you remove the overload leaf?

Nice looking truck, the stance is great!
Old 03-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #15
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
^ thanks all!

Poll:

What say TW?
I say do it! Maybe paint your badges and wheels black instead of debadging.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #16

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambooshoots View Post
Nice truck. Still runs like new?
Thanks!

Yeah more or less runs like new, except for the front diff vibes since lifting, and also the alignment's caster settings cause it to have more "floaty" feeling steering due to the caster barely being within factory specs after lifting (I need new UCAs to get my caster set higher). Otherwise, it looks and runs like new!

People even tell me that it smells like a new truck, but I somehow doubt that.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #17

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
How do you like the wheeler's AAL? Do you have the TSB leaf pack and I can't tell, did you remove the overload leaf?

Nice looking truck, the stance is great!
Love the wheeler's AALs! They seriously are awesome. No, I don't have the TSB springs, and yes I did remove the overload leaf when I put the AALs on. Rides so much better than stock!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #18

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Man, I am SO tempted to pull the trigger and get Katzkin seats in the color scheme that timsxr has.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...ml#post2853742

Somebody please help me rationalize spending $880 on a truck that has 125K on it for almost purely cosmetic reasons...
Old 03-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #19
bizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to behold

bizjettech's Tacoma Gallery
That Global in the background on your trucks build page looks very familiar
Old 04-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #20

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizjettech View Post
That Global in the background on your trucks build page looks very familiar
That one was visiting Boeing Field at Clay Lacy. I see it around from time to time.