1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

07 DC Surf Seeker

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by SeaPig173, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Feb 26, 2011 at 10:55 PM
    SeaPig173

SeaPig173 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE USA
    The Why:
    [​IMG]

The Build

Stock:
    07 Tacoma Double Cab 6SPD with TRD OR package and JBL stereo

Suspension:

-Fabtech 6" Suspension Lift w/ Dirtlogic 2.5 Coilovers in front, Dirtlogic 2.0 Resis in Rear.
    -Procomp Xterrain 35's on 17" Procomp Wheels w/ FS Spare
    -Deaver Custom Leafs

Drivetrain:
    -4:88 Yukon Gears

Armor:
    -Badland Bumpers Front and Rear Bumpers (Hunter; swinging tire mount)
    -Badland Bumpers Rock Sliders

Sleeper/Platform:
    -Snug Top Canopy
    -Thule Racks
    -Sleep Platform by Beaker Productions (Homemade edition)
    -Mattress by Beaker Productions (Luz Sew Shop Special)
    -End Cap co-designed by Beaker Productions, produced by Raul and Mercedes in Costa Mesa, Ca (949)631-0167

Recovery Gear:
    -Hi-Lift Extreme Jack (Mountain Dew EXXXTREEMMEE!!)
    -Superwinch Talon 12.5 w/ Viking Synthetic Line
    -ARB CKMA12 Air Compressor

Electric/Interior/Misc:
    -Lightforce 240 and 140s
    -"A La Caribe Style" Fog Lamp Mod
    -Hypertech Speedo Calibrator
    -Car Toys IPOD adapter hard wired
    -Garmin Nuvi 1490 LMT GPS

-Pioneer DEH-P9400BH Head Unit
    -Alpine MRX-V60 Amp
    -Killer Audio Setup by The Marv

**Plans/Future Additions**
    -Aux Fuel Tank
    -Water Tank w/ pump and shower spout??
    -Camburg UCAs

IMG_1186_677694ccea530c49eba3b39d16528ab09a5b0ff2.jpg

128_d5dd59de196317227ab5245e50c2b36c2f6ea79f.jpg

P5290007_8dd0d95e48157640331541309cf33452e99a7a72.jpg

IMG_07461_e1abb10e672068a62f93fce2d3454334bafd87ad.jpg

Well, after many hours of studying everyone's mean looking rides, I've decided I finally have enough to show off. My 2007 Tacoma Double Cab TRD, 6 Spd has come to life.

First, some background. I bought my Taco in 2007, after a brief and embarrassing lapse into the F-150 realm, but I returned to my love. This is my third Toyota pickup over the years and I was quickly reminded of the ideal vehicle it is. I am in the process of building an expedition / overland vehicle that has both function and ability. This isn't a rock crawler, mud bogger, or mall crawler. When complete (if that is ever possible), this truck should provide me with access to baja surf, shelter on camp trips, fun in the back country in the summer, and access to it during the winter.

The truck remained stock for the first year. I went with the TRD Offroad over the TRD Sport for the locker and no silly-fake intake! I wanted more control of the vehicle and always wanted a manual so I went with the 6 speed option, leaving me with only one choice in bed size. That was alright because I wanted the shorter wheel base. Lucky for me it worked out well! My first major purchase was the SnugTop and Thule roof racks (got to carry the surfboards around!). Then I went with the 6" Fabtech lift with Dirtlogic 2.0s in the front and 2.5s in the rear. 35" Procomp Xterrains on Procomp wheels finished up stage one.

Stage two was all about functional expedition support. My Dad and I mulled over some ideas and we fabricated a platform for the bed to serve storage needs and a sleeping option. We chose wood for the simplicity, weight, and economical virtues it held. We built the platform around two drawers that were deep enough to provide all the storage I could need. This provides a home for recovery equipment, spare parts, surf wax, a propane stove, and 3 to 4 of my favorite midgets. There is additional storage forward under a deck lid for less frequently used items (chains, jumper cables, parts/fluids). I owe most of my inspiration to http://www.bajataco.com/bajataco.html, that is a sick 1st Gen rig for expeditions. I carpeted up the interior, made some curtains and a sleeping pad/mattress out of some high density foam and fabric, and painted up the left over wood to finish it off. It's tight sleeping because of the "short bed" but it works well enough. Now the problem was getting my full size spare out of the bed!

I tried to use a Tiregate but that rickety POS was on my truck for all of five minutes before it went back to its creator!

While I researched bumpers I realized that the power was lost after installing the lift and oversize tires. My speedo was off as well, and I was getting tired of guessing my real speed. I settled on a 4:88 gear swap, installed by 4wp. Yukon gears with a basket provided by justdifferentials. Once they were installed I was amazed at the speed and power that returned! The only bummer was the top end speed was definitely dropped off, but I guess that will save me in the long run from those annoying state troopers! Just to make sure, I installed a Hypertech Speedometer Calibrater to fix up the accuracy as a final touch. I verified it with my nuvi 1490 LMT, dead on.

Next, I surfed around and found Jeff at Badland Bumpers who is squaring me away with sick bumpers! I called up Jeff and asked about a swing away rear bumper and rock sliders. His product is solid and I was lucky enough to provide him with a 2nd Gen Taco to build his jig for a front basher bumper. We're working out the finishing touches (and when I say we, I mean Jeff and his crew), but for now I have the prototype 05+ front basher bumper. As you can see in my crappy night time pics that it is awesome! Of course we had to dress them up with some new lights.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The rear bumper is just what I was looking for. This is the hunter model, it supports a hi-lift jack as well as the swing away tire mount. It has a locking pin to ensure it stays open when you want it to be. Good sheet metal protection is afforded by the wrap around styling and the damn thing is bullet proof. A 2 inch receiver is integrated also!

The project will continue as I wire up the lights, Jeff completes the front bumper design/installation, and maybe I will purchase a winch. This should keep me wheelin' for a while until I can save up some more cash. I'll update you all when I can! Let's see if I can get the pics up on this thing??

Cheers,
    SP

2. Feb 26, 2011 at 11:32 PM
    SeaPig173

Member:
    SE USA
    Pics of the Armor Additions! Here's Jeff's shop and out front of my house in PNW. Nice fresh snow!

[​IMG][/URL][​IMG][/URL][​IMG][/URL]

3. Feb 27, 2011 at 12:39 AM
    SeaPig173

Member:
    SE USA
    More pictures tomorrow, had to get these fresh ones up tonight!

4. Feb 27, 2011 at 9:38 PM
    SeaPig173

Member:
    SE USA
    Went out today to get some photos with my buddy. Let me know what you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Feb 27, 2011 at 10:04 PM
    chaz834

chaz834 Tacoma 4 Life.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Kendrick, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sport MGM
    3'' Tuff Counrty Lift, Moromoto Mini H1 Projectors 5000K 35W, BHLM, 30'' LED Light Bar, Black TOYOTA Emblem, Excelon Touch Screen Deck, Hertz Speakers,Excelon AMP, 2 10'' JL Audio Subs, Wet Okle seat covers, Weather Tech Floor Mats.
    Nice pickup. :cool:

6. Feb 27, 2011 at 10:14 PM
    SeaPig173

Member:
    SE USA
    Thanks! It's getting there!

7. Feb 27, 2011 at 10:18 PM
    JoeTacoma02

JoeTacoma02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I went on their website to check out their rear bumper/prices but it's not listed. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get it for? And is it just straight bolt on?

8. Feb 28, 2011 at 9:52 AM
    SeaPig173

Member:
    SE USA
    JoeTacoma02,
    Check out this link. They need to update their website...but the info is here:
    http://www.******************/index_6-1-08_005.htm

I paid $850 for mine plus black powder coat totaling $1000. This is for the Hunter, the swing away tire mount. It's bulletproof, and I love it!

9. Mar 6, 2011 at 11:44 PM
    SeaPig173

Member:
    SE USA
    [​IMG]

I took some pictures of my platform/canopy to show how I built the EXPEDITION part of it. I have to thank www.bajataco.com for most of the concept. But getting the inspiration was the easy part.

The concept is to be able to pack up as much stuff in an organized fashion and still be able to sleep with relative comfort and ease.

I chose wood for the cost, easy medium, and weight. I am not planning on doing a lot of fording yet, so the water damage is not a big concern. I did seal all the wood to increase longevity.

Sleeping pads are made out of high density foam with a cotton cover, cut to shape. There are 3 x pieces that stack for storage and provide me and the wife with 75" x 48" of sleeping room. We get 75" by using the extension platform that is placed on top of the open drawers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The drawers were the start point of the design. I wanted enough space to store food, tools, recovery gear, clothes, and / or 3-4 adult Umpa Lumpas (because they're blue, in case you were wondering!). They are 40 x 20 x 10.5" and are made of poplar. They have carpeting on the bottom for sliding, snugness, and sound dampening. I used just basic handles and then I figured out to use window latches to keep them locked inside. Notice the drawers aren't snug against the tailgate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Forward of the main drawers are additional storage. This is to limit the weight of the main drawers and also to help prioritize the load.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once we built the drawers, we built the frame for the platform that is basically a "+". The drawers are on either side of a centerline. The centerline goes to the cab and is fitted to another piece that is parallel with the cab end of the bed. We used poplar for the drawers, rails, and cross members, and MDFB for the centerline. DO NOT USE MDFB (medium density fiber board). We talked ourselves into it and it has no qualities worthy of this project.

We mounted the platform frame to platforms above the tops of the wheel wells (the squared flats on top of the wheel). We through bolted the platforms on to the wheel well/bed and then attached the platform top to them. The centerline board is through bolted on the bottom of the bed. Then we put side rails on the bed for the drawers, and did the same to the bottom of the platform top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We got it all put together and then carpeted the platform top and drawer faces and bottoms. The hardware was installed and then we were left with the two sides exposed. This was to leave access to the 110v plug on the passenger side and the storage compartment on the driver side. It looked bad so we added some swinging doors to provide access and aesthetics. Once completed, some black paint went up. I got some earth magnets and glued them in behind the doors and on the bottom rail to keep them from swinging up and down.

[​IMG]

Just to ensure the sleeping wasn't interfered with by the sun, and to maintain all associations with the stabbin' wagon, we added these sick asian themed curtains. Nice finishing touch I think! These two side curtains have become permanently velcroed up for ease, and there's a third curtain for the back window.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know what you guys think...

10. Mar 7, 2011 at 12:43 AM
    xrhode

xrhode Member

Member:
    seattle
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Access Cab Supreme
    wilderness package pimp out, sleeping platform, canopy, rack, debadge, tinted glass
    sweet set up man.
    i am gettin ready to get a 2011 taco and i'm going to set it up for similar adventures.
    i did an old school version back in 95 for a year long bike, boat, and snowboard trip. now after many epic trips since and 300k miles later, I'm ready for a new truck and a more modern set up in the back. baja taco rules!
    sweet tip on badland bumpers, i will definitely check them out.
    good luck on the rest of the build.

long side.jpg
    platform.jpg
    plat close up.jpg
    inside canopy.jpg

11. Mar 7, 2011 at 8:56 AM
    Namyo

Namyo -

Member:
    great lookin truck! :taco:

12. Mar 12, 2011 at 9:22 AM
    SeaPig173

Member:
    SE USA
    Thanks fellas for the comments and for checking out my rig!

I am heading back up to BLB today to get the final install of my bumper. As you may remember, this is the first 2nd Gen they've done. Once I get that done, I will wire up the lights.

Yesterday I found my canopy to be leaking. The forward seal was not right and I have thus encountered some of the PacNW rain inside. No worries, the seal will be fixed shortly and I will once again be dry.

I went boarding yesterday and it was epic! Best day of the season I reckon! One day I'll be sleeping in B lot in this rig!

I will post pics later.

13. Apr 28, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White DCSB TRD OR PreRunner
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Bed Cover, OEM Silver Step Bars, Debadged, Colormatched Satoshi, Wet Okoles, OEM Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Locking Gas Cap, and removed Mud Flaps
    I'm diggin those bumpers :D

14. May 5, 2011 at 11:13 PM
    creedler

creedler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Stock for now
    Old build in sig
    Your truck is my inspiration now :D i can't wait to get a camper and make a similar set up in the bed so i can travel around and surf this summer.

15. May 6, 2011 at 10:19 AM
    SeaPig173

Member:
    SE USA
    Nice! Glad I could be of service. I want to add a fresh water tank under the bed so I have a shower too! But that's a pipe dream now. Let me know if you need more pics or if you have questions.

I still owe some pictures of the final bumper up front. I am on the tail end of busy work loads and now moving to Monterey. Once I get settled I will show it off. Got the canopy fixed, Coumbs RV in Olympia has peerless customer service. See you in the Golden State, adios!

Cheers,
    SP

16. May 29, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    Gatorjaw

Gatorjaw Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Grand Ridge Fla
    Vehicle:
    2010 White Tacoma 4X4 TRD, 95 4runner, 84 Kingcab 4x4, 78 Single cab 2wd
    Your truck is awesome! Love it..

17. May 29, 2011 at 9:57 PM
    SeaPig173

Member:
    SE USA
    Here's a picture of the new Badland Bumper's integrated fog light tabs that are welded on. The new bumper came out awesome, I am very pleased with it. Call up Jeff and order one up.

[​IMG]

18. May 30, 2011 at 10:28 PM
    Ez2typethis

Ez2typethis Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 Sport
    Suspension -LSK Uniball Uper Control Arms -LSK Uniball Lower Control Arms -Camburg Performance Spindles -ECGS Needle Bearing Installed -Archive Garage Hammer Hangers -Archive Garage 3.6” Shackles -Archive Garage Hanger Cross Tube -Icon 2.5 CDC Extended Travel Coilovers -Icon 14" 700 pound coils -Icon 2.5 CDC RXT Shocks -Icon 2.0 Hydraulic Bump Stops *Bolt On Bump Stop Mount -Wheelers Front Super Bumps Armor -At The Helm Front Bumper -At The Helm Rear Bumper -At The Helm Rear Swing Out -RCI Sliders -RCI Engine Skid Plate -RCI Transfer Case Skid Plate -RCI Transmission Skid Plate -RCI Fuel Tank Skid Plate -Prinsu Designs Top Rack -Prinsu Designs Cab Rack Lights -Black Head Light Mod -OEM TRD Pro Tail Lights -MESO LED Turn Signals -Morimoto HID Headlight Kit -Caliraised LED 40” Slimline -Caliraised LED 20” Slimline -Caliraised LED Amber Pods -Caliraised LED Wide Ditch Lights -Caliraised LED Flush Mount Pods -LED High Beams -LED Dome Lights -LED Back-Up Lights -LED License Plate Lights Miscellaneous -OVtuned2.0 -4.88 gears -ARB twin comp -ARB rear locker -Leer 100XQ Camper Shell -Smitty Built X20 Winch -Warn Fairlead -Warn Sidewinder -Roto Pax 4.5 Gallon Gasoline -Roto Pax 2 Gallon Water -Roto Pax 2 Gallon Gasoline -Weathertech Floor Liners -Double limo tinted -50% tinted windshield -Leather Seats - Installed At Dealer Wheels and Tires -Matte Black Stealth Custom Series Ray 10's (X5) -BFG KO2 285x70r17 // Load Range C (X5)
    Nice man, VERY nice!!!

19. May 30, 2011 at 10:30 PM
    rcfreak201

rcfreak201 Well-Known Member

Member:
    sweet effin ride!

20. Jul 22, 2011 at 9:08 PM
    SeaPig173

Member:
    SE USA
    Thanks guys, the truck is handling well.

Since I just moved down here, I'm always looking for some people to go wheelin' with in the Monterey, Ca Area. Drop me a PM.

Planning a trip to Rubicon next summer. Insight, wisdom, comments???

Cheers,
    SP

Products Discussed in

To Top