1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Singlefin's Tacoma Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by singlefin, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Mar 21, 2011 at 7:29 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Nice pics Richard.....

Nice one of "poser rock" at CC, dude that was over a year ago maybe more, I just put my 5100's on the front & still had a front bumper.....:)

[​IMG]

2. Mar 21, 2011 at 7:31 PM
    bridgcat

bridgcat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 4x4 SR5 TRD Offroad
    Avid Off-road Light bar w/ Line-X, American Aluminum Black LP Toolbox, N Fab black step bars,In-Channel Vent Visors, two 10" Rockford subs, Pioneer Double Din DVD player w/ Metra dash kit, 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT/s. 18x9" Black XD Monsters. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. Color matched grille with FJ Tacoma badge. De-badged with black, "4x4" badge on tail gate. Mud flap delete mod. Custon TRD decal, color matched rear bumper, Icon extended travel reservoir coilovers, Icon rear reservoir shocks, Dakar rear leaf pack, extended stainless steel brake lines, Camburg uniball upper control arms, timeren bump stops,Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, Rockford Fosgate Door speakers, Dynomat doors and rear panel, All pro front bumper.
    I'd bang your truck....

3. Mar 21, 2011 at 7:34 PM
    VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Itsnevertoearlytostartbee fingupyourobituary

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    East Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 BSP Pre Runner SR5
    Tint. (DONE) Soon to come. 3in Llift (OME) Color matched grill (DONE) BHLM (DONE) Tail tint (DONE) Pro comp rims (8069) End goal: Murdered out truck
    :thumbsup: I'd prolly hit it and never quit it

4. Mar 21, 2011 at 7:36 PM
    singlefin

singlefin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hood River, OR
    Vehicle:
    Syncro
    :eek: Yeah you were a wee little boy back then, oh my how things have changed.

We need to get back out to CC. I might head out to the desert again Saturday, want to hit the other tails W of S2 by Carrizo Creek (??) might be wrong on the name. Either way I have a quasi plan.

At one point I was ready to let her see other people...we've patched things up.

5. Mar 21, 2011 at 7:43 PM
    Special_K

Special_K o_o

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Cav Blue
    I'll be out there on Sunday

6. Mar 21, 2011 at 7:44 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

We def. need to get out to CC, I KNOW theres gotta be at least 7 or 8 decent water crossings, & yeah theres a ton of trails I'd like to hit in that S-2 Carrizo area, we did Oriflame canyon last week but think I'll avoid Rodriguez canyon (no armor) but I've heard theres a couple by-passes around the hard crawling shit....

7. Mar 22, 2011 at 12:24 AM
    singlefin

Member:
    Hood River, OR
    Vehicle:
    Syncro
    What time you leaving Sunday? Where is your exact destination?

Lets go check and see if there are by-passes :eek:

I found a couple cool spots up at the end of some trail by the tracks where it digs into the side of the mountain. Had a late start so gonna hit those spots up Sat and Sun...This weekend and next I'm gonna burn some gas. Come April 4 its pills, rum, ice, and rehab. Perhaps spring time in SD will start and I post up in the front yard like last year. Dejavu, sucks.

8. Mar 22, 2011 at 6:23 AM
    Special_K

Special_K o_o

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Cav Blue
    0600 33°9'18"N 116°10'7"W

But seriously I'm trying to get my ME1 to come out with me too, he's got a Tacoma as well. Haven't gone anymore north of Pumpkin Patch so I want to check that out for a little bit.

:wave: Hi Doug

9. Mar 22, 2011 at 9:01 AM
    singlefin

Member:
    Hood River, OR
    Vehicle:
    Syncro
    You expecting me to plot that location, how about where you wanna meet up at. I've been out there a couple times, there is def. a lot more to check out. I'll hit you up Friday to sort it out.

10. Mar 22, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    Special_K

Special_K o_o

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Cav Blue
    naw man it's the ranger station out there. we can meet there

11. Mar 22, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    05offroad

05offroad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    El Cajon, California
    Vehicle:
    '05 Long Travel Prerunner
    I've lost track
    What do you mean??

12. Mar 22, 2011 at 9:45 PM
    singlefin

Member:
    Hood River, OR
    Vehicle:
    Syncro
    Pretty much what I stated...removed the swaybar completely. Went wheeling, when going thru bumps at more than a crawl the front end blew thru the travel and bottomed out pretty hard. Nitrogen pressure was 200 psi so that wasn't it. Back then I was running a little less preload and was probably at only 1.5" of lift.

Plan on having DSM re-valve my fronts and going to a longer coil spring (14" or 16" if it will fit so I can have more ride height and less pre-load. Perhaps this will let me ditch the sway bar.

13. Apr 6, 2011 at 2:42 PM
    Kauluwela

Kauluwela Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 TACOMA DOUBLE CAB V6 6SPD TRD
    TOYTEC SPACER, OME 885'S, OME STRUTS, TOYTEC DIFF DROP KIT, TOYTEC CARRIER BEARING DROP KIT, LIGHT RACING UCA'S, DEALER TSB'S, OME AAL, OME SHOCKS, VISTA TOP, GROM AUDIO IPOD INTERFACE, ALL PRO EXTENDED BRAKE LINES, ALL PRO SLIDERS, FULL LIMO TINT, AMERICAN RACING MOJAVE WHEELS, WILD COUNTRY XTX 285-70-17, HI-LIFT, TOYTEC HI-LIFT SLIDER ADAPTER
    Singlefin-

I have an 07' 4door 4wd TRD with factory locker. I am running OME 885's, Light Racing UCAs, OME Struts, OME AAL, OME Shocks, and Factory TSB springs. I believe I am at about 3" of lift, and am running Wild Country XTX 285-70-17s on AR Mojave wheels. I like the way it drives, daily driver. I looked over your build and have the following questions:

1) You refer to a "Cab Chop". What do you mean by this? I have built many fabricated vehicles over the years with my dad and bros, but when we say "Chopped" we mean cut out about 6-12" of the cab roof posts and drop it down for a low profile look. See my dad's website @ http://home.roadrunner.com/~tooloose/ Do you mean you "chopped" the body/frame mount where the tire rubs in some cases (behind the factory mudflap)? Or, did you chop the cab somewhere else?

2) How did you stuff the 285-75-16 under the back in the spare tire position? I have agonized over this. I have cut the two tire guides off with a cutting wheel, smoothed and primered it, and tried to fit a 285-75-16 on a Wheelers OffRoad Black Steelie 16 under as well, but it: 1) Hung down too far for me, 2) Was pinched between the axle back diff cap and the towing reciever (I have a short bed so maybe the axle is back closer to the tire?), and it rubbed on the axle diff cap at advanced articulation.

I tried pulling it back with a ratcheting tie down, but no luck and it still hung out below too far -was lower than the towing receiver and reduced the rear approach angle in the rocks. Thinking about a rear swing gate, and I do have windoors on the camper shell. Was there some trick to stuffing the tire under there? Did you cut away some of the frame rails? Are you storing it down there fully aired up to operational PSI? How did you get the tire to not hang down and reduce clearance?

I ended up going with a Toyo M55 235/85/16 on the stock wheel which is 32" in diameter and 9 inches wide. This was the best of all worlds for me. It does not hang down, does not rub in the rear diff cap, and the stock steel wheel works fine and it does not rub on the UCA with the stock offset.

BUT, I still want to go to a real fullsize tire in the spare position. Any hints?

3) When did you get the Allpro bumper? I like that style and did you modify it after you got it?

4) Are you running the Spod fuse/breaker bank? If so, do you have any comments about it? What are you powering off it? I am getting ready to map out some lighting additions and like the plug and play design of this setup. I saw some past posts you had made about this.

Otherwise, I like the truck. Very good job!

I am twinser myself, ride a 6'3 Hanel. Born and raised in Makawao on Maui, but after college I used to live in Leucadia right behind Tom's Leucadia Doghnut Shop on Avacado Street. Was a Grandview local for many years......... I love North County!

14. Apr 6, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You got this one Richard about cab chop,etc;?

15. Apr 6, 2011 at 2:54 PM
    Kauluwela

Kauluwela Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 TACOMA DOUBLE CAB V6 6SPD TRD
    TOYTEC SPACER, OME 885'S, OME STRUTS, TOYTEC DIFF DROP KIT, TOYTEC CARRIER BEARING DROP KIT, LIGHT RACING UCA'S, DEALER TSB'S, OME AAL, OME SHOCKS, VISTA TOP, GROM AUDIO IPOD INTERFACE, ALL PRO EXTENDED BRAKE LINES, ALL PRO SLIDERS, FULL LIMO TINT, AMERICAN RACING MOJAVE WHEELS, WILD COUNTRY XTX 285-70-17, HI-LIFT, TOYTEC HI-LIFT SLIDER ADAPTER
    The more I look at that bumper I really like it, but it is not listed on Allpro's website? Was that a special order or something like that?

I am also looking into Relentless Fabrication bumpers as well.

Did you also go with the All Pro skid plate to tie it all together, or did you add something else below?

Good choices on the build!

If only I did not have two kids and therefore spending over $2,500 a month only on child care costs, not to mention other crap they need/want. Kinda eats into my free cash. Dah! I wanna be a kid again.

16. Apr 6, 2011 at 3:00 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    heheh, yup, to be young again, as far as the "cab chop" is concerned the 2nd gens. have a bit of a clearance problem with slightly over sized tires hitting/rubbing the cab mount framing just ahead of the cab mount itself ,when offroading or full lock turning I believe, resulting in trimming some of the forward excess metal protruding slightly into the inner fender well, I have a 1st gen. so this hasn't been a problem for me but my tires aren't too big either.

17. Apr 6, 2011 at 3:00 PM
    singlefin

Member:
    Hood River, OR
    Vehicle:
    Syncro
    Sorry this is a short reply....on my phone...in a sling post shoulder shoulder surgery.

1- just the cab mount chop to clear the tires

2- had to cut the guides to stuff the 285/75/16 KM2...it's at 25psi. Little tight fit, pulled it aft as I raised it.

3- all pro hybrid found a year ago, lucky score. No mods yet, gonna add tabs for some lights and maybe a shackle mounts if possible. My favorite bumper.

4-not running sPods but probably will use that setup or the blue sea setup when I get my aux lightning, oba, winch.

I like Gary's boards! I think my next board will be Mandala 2+1.

18. Apr 6, 2011 at 3:05 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

oh yeah to the guy wanting to stuff full sized spare, cut the 2 tabs off spare tire bracket/mount under bed...

19. Apr 6, 2011 at 3:11 PM
    singlefin

Member:
    Hood River, OR
    Vehicle:
    Syncro
    No skids yet, its on the never ending list. All pro used to make the bumper then discontinued it. Relentless has a tube one he has been workin on.

Thanks for the compliments! Im really stoked on the build.

20. Apr 6, 2011 at 3:13 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x

Yes we are, ok done thread jacking Richard, medication time......

Products Discussed in

To Top