Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Nators' build!!

Old 03-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
Bought Tacoma & signed up here as fast as I could!
BRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: El Conquistador
BRYLONATOR's Tacoma Gallery
Nators' build!!

Soooo.....The story goes like this: I had a 3rd gen. 4runner limited (sweet truck!) and wife had a 2000 Corolla. Wife needed 4WD for safer work commutes but did not like driving my truck. We were suffering from that old Italian disease "Fundz-R-Lowe" and decided to sell the 4runner, buy something new for her...and I could handle the Corolla in any weather. (awesome little beater in the snow!) So we bought her a new 2010 RAV4 sport and things were great! I got tired of the shoe box and convinced my wife to allow me to look for a great deal on a wreck that would be significantly cheaper than low mile used or new. I had a little bit of money to work with and a decent line of credit from the bank and the Corolla had low miles and was mint. We got a pretty penny for her in a private sale!

I started scouring every resource I had to find a Taco but you would not believe how expensive these are even wrecked! I thought my hopes of finally getting the truck I have wanted forever were going down in flames! So..I needed a new truck and I started to compromise. I was at the auction and noticed this Tacoma and thoroughly checked it out. After some thought I decided to walk away because from a body man's stand point this was a perfect hit! "Soft hit" is what some call it. All damage is above the frame rails, no engine damage, cab is straight, with a new temporary rigged radiator could run and drive to Europe and back because it is still straight as an arrow! And it only had 36k on it! Problem is that these go for really big money here at this auction so I passed and actually started to look at the F-150 that was going up to the block right behind the Taco! Well as I was standing there at the auction block waiting for the Taco to sell so I could get to work on the F-150, I noticed that the bids were staying low so I thought..."holy sheet"...I need to get over there and see what is going on! I ended up winning the truck and got it for a GREAT deal!
As of right now, I have torn it completely down and purchased 98% of the parts. Everything is OEM and even managed to get a great deal on a one month old scooped hood from a local guy! (still can't get over that one!) The biggest pain are the airbags. The passenger bag blew and it takes out the dash when that happens. I somehow managed to find one of those as well! All that needs to be done right now is have the Pass (right side) Apron and front Core support cut out and replaced. Once that is completed at the shop, everything gets painted and I start to reassemble at home! As of right now though I am a week or two out from getting to that point but the cool thing about rebuilding is the ability to justify some mods! So far I got my hands on a TRD skid plate which I feel is only good for looks but.....that is what I was going for! But I am also planning on doing the Satoshi grill. I only have a few pics as of right now but will update with more in the next few days!
Attached Thumbnails
Nators' build!!-getpicsform.aspx.jpeg   Nators' build!!-imag0171.jpg   Nators' build!!-imag0172.jpg  
Old 03-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
BRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
more pics!

Just a few more from when I purchased it.
Attached Thumbnails
Nators' build!!-getpicsform.aspx.jpeg  
Old 03-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
WOW!! they must be huge!

I can't seem to load them all up at once!
Attached Thumbnails
Old 03-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
one more!!

last one....I am sure there is a better way to do this!
Attached Thumbnails
Old 03-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
4cyl4x4 is on a distinguished road
4cyl4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Subscribed... Will follow.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
reminds me of
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ck-beater.html

good luck, cant wait to see it turned back into a truck
That was an awesome thread! I hope I won't have to do as much work though it is close! I am starting on the Satoshi grill tonight and will try to have it done for paint. The goal is to actually have it all completed in two weeks time. In fact....it has to be done because I won't have a vehicle to drive if I don't complete it by then!

I also learned something new today that might help others wanting to do the grill mod. I don't think it makes it any easier but more along the lines of using the best quality materials for finish work.

Here is also another pic I took today of the new hood. (I love that thing!) Too bad it isn't functional. I plan on adding a SC later and it would have been nice for the hood to help in some way.
Attached Thumbnails
Nators' build!!-imag0198.jpg  
Old 03-14-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
Junior Bacon Cheeseburger
Oibrigand is on a distinguished road

Oibrigand's Tacoma Gallery
Cannot wait to see this thing get pretty!!
Old 03-15-2011, 07:24 AM   #8
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
this is going to be sweet when you fix it all up
Old 03-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusher View Post
Looking good bro...engine cover should either be there or will be getting there shortly. Looking forward to watching this thing come together.
Thanks very much! I plan on getting a SC later at some point but the missing cover just kills me!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #11
Update!!

So I tackled the dash and airbags today. Lots of work but not as difficult as I thought it would be. Took only 3 hours to remove everything and replace the clock spring, driver side air bag, dash, air bag ecu, and what ever else went with it! But I was a little stumped over some extra plugs and would love to know what they are so I took some pics! I should also mention that not a single clip or tab was damaged, lost or discarded! And there weren't any extra bolts although I think I may have done a little better of a job in one area than the factory!
the first one is of the tear down:

both of these are after completely removing everything:

is this for bluetooth?

going back together:

completed project!

The only thing left to do is replace the seat belts and everything will be completed inside the cab.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #12
SUPERCHARGED!!!
gusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Greg
gusher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRYLONATOR View Post
So I tackled the dash and airbags today. Lots of work but not as difficult as I thought it would be. Took only 3 hours to remove everything and replace the clock spring, driver side air bag, dash, air bag ecu, and what ever else went with it! But I was a little stumped over some extra plugs and would love to know what they are so I took some pics! I should also mention that not a single clip or tab was damaged, lost or discarded! And there weren't any extra bolts although I think I may have done a little better of a job in one area than the factory!
the first one is of the tear down:

both of these are after completely removing everything:

is this for bluetooth?

going back together:

completed project!

The only thing left to do is replace the seat belts and everything will be completed inside the cab.
Man that looks good...how to be patient and methodical. Great job!
Old 03-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #13
Thanks very much! Not a single plastic clip or wire strap was damaged and no extra parts when it was completed! The engine cover will help out under the hood nicely as well. Aside from a TRD skid plate and Satoshi grill mod....everything is being brought back to factory so that I can easily breeze through my state inspection. Once that is completed, I don't know what to start modding first! I want the truck to be capable but I won't be doing any hard off-roading with it. Just some easy trails so the wife and I can have some great camping trips. First real trip in the works will be the music festival in Telluride. State parks there are amazing.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #15
Junior Bacon Cheeseburger
Oibrigand is on a distinguished road

Oibrigand's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLharry View Post
x2
Old 03-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #16
I'd rather be hunting!
huntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
huntark03's Tacoma Gallery
Dude...just checked out your build...can't wait to see how it turns out!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #17
This is what you contributed to! Thanks again!!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:35 PM   #18
I am waiting for my seat belts to return after getting rebuilt. New igniters and everything. I also just picked up the new airbag sensors and will be installed all together. Next is finally going to be the exterior.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #19
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flightcancled's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! This should be fun to watch!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:53 PM   #20
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Subb'd. I dig threads that involve major truck surgery.