Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

0uTkAsT's 4-Banger Base "Build"

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #41
Gun Toting Gearhead
0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by himmie View Post
Bestop=awesome. I can't wait to get one. Where did you order yours from?

Did you figure anything out with the taillights? You should VHT Niteshade next time. That seems to work well.

As for the badges, I just used a hair dryer and fishing line. It's hot enough here that you don't need as much heat as a heat gun puts out. My bedside decals came right off last fall, without any extra heat. Heh.
Nice! I'm going to pick up a can of plasti-dip to black out the emblems and see how I like it before debadging it completely.

The tail lights are still dull, but I haven't had a chance to try the tricks everyone gave me yet. I'm going to get a power ball and try more polishing compound & plast-x, and if that doesn't make them right then I'm going to try stripping the coatings off completely and start over with VHT.

Oh, and I got my Supertop off eBay, with my work discounts and everything I only ended up paying like $550 including shipping. It was a pain in the ass to install the actual vinyl material and windows for the first time, everything was SUPER SUPER tight just like a new Jeep top. I'm letting it stay open for a few days before I even attempt to try finishing the installation... Half of my snaps are still 1/8"-1/4" off so I'm hoping it will stretch and conform enough to get them all fixed in place. That said, even with only half the snaps hooked up it is solid as a rock even at 75-80 MPH so I'm pretty happy with it. My biggest complaint is how dark the damn windows in it are... I can't see a thing out my rear view mirror with it up, and it creates some pretty nasty blind spots too. The blind spot thing wouldn't be an issue on your DC, though.

I got my headlights off eBay too, and only paid something like $47 shipped for them also. Perks of the job.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:32 PM   #42
Cheese Head.
TheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
TheGrinch's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TheGrinch
Niceee work man. Let me know how dipping the badges goes and how you did it if u do. I am saving enough to get some front n rear armor, powdercoat the wheels, and then the badges. Keep it updated on how it goess.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:33 AM   #43
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post

Haha sweet. Do you have a thread for your truck yet?
nah not yet, i should make one tho
Old 05-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #44
YotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: FMC 25th BSB
Name: Brian
YotaMan2007's Tacoma Gallery
before you use the niteshade make sure tiniting your lights are legal in your state. i almost did but here in georgia it ain't. imo get some aftermarket LED tails that are black or smoked out already because they are road legal.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #45
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
its not legal here in pa either i dont think. i tinted mine real lightly, and i also masked off the reverse lights so i can still see at night a bit when i put it into reverse.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #46
Gun Toting Gearhead
0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaMan2007 View Post
get some aftermarket LED tails that are black or smoked out already because they are road legal.
Haven't you guys heard, everything is legal in AZ I drove a '69 Cuda to school and work every day for two years running straight pipes with race bullet mufflers and 13.5" wide cheater slicks... Not one problem except for the "occasional" speeding ticket and noise violations here and there. Oh, and it only had one headlight and no front fenders for about six months

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrinch View Post
Niceee work man. Let me know how dipping the badges goes and how you did it if u do. I am saving enough to get some front n rear armor, powdercoat the wheels, and then the badges. Keep it updated on how it goess.
Thanks! Will do!
Old 05-08-2011, 02:03 AM   #47
BP348 is a splendid one to beholdBP348 is a splendid one to beholdBP348 is a splendid one to beholdBP348 is a splendid one to beholdBP348 is a splendid one to beholdBP348 is a splendid one to behold
BP348's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
It's not a big fiberglass one. I really need a camper (for both the dogs and actually camping in) so I bought a Bestop Supertop that's kinda like a Jeep/convertible roof, it folds down and out of the way when not being used. It's like these:

who makes the canvas top on the 1st gen in this pic?
Old 05-09-2011, 06:54 AM   #48
YotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

[QUOTE=0uTkAsT;3133661]Haven't you guys heard, everything is legal in AZ I drove a '69 Cuda to school and work every day for two years running straight pipes with race bullet mufflers and 13.5" wide cheater slicks... Not one problem except for the "occasional" speeding ticket and noise violations here and there. Oh, and it only had one headlight and no front fenders for about six months

thats not cool. i'd get get 72 camaro impounded here if i tried that.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #49
Gun Toting Gearhead

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP348 View Post
who makes the canvas top on the 1st gen in this pic?
I have no idea, I have a 2nd gen and just found that pic googling tacoma supertop.

Quote:
thats not cool. i'd get get 72 camaro impounded here if i tried that.
lol I <3 AZ... Very gun & car conservative. I could never move anywhere else.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #50

whats next on the to do list?
Old 05-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #51
Gun Toting Gearhead

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
whats next on the to do list?
Next is my 5100s up front to level the truck out, and within the next few weeks I'm going to have my Avid bumper and sliders on. I'm stoked. I'm getting another bonus at work and possibly a promotion too so the car, truck, and firearm parts are going to be flying around here like it's Christmas
Old 05-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #52
Gun Toting Gearhead

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Mmmmmk. So, I have an update on the truck after my last trip.

Three things really sucked about this trip (besides a rifle blowing up in my face):

1: Rugged Fail. Yes, they really do fail ruggedly, I had a pretty gnarly sidewall blowout on a soft dirt road at ~20 MPH. I'm guessing maybe I caught a rock inside the tire earlier in the day or something because it popped without warning and on the mildest stretch of dirt road I had driven on all weekend.

Tire failures happen.

2: Battery Fail. Yep, kaput, in the middle of friggin nowhere. Luckily I wasn't alone and was able to get jumped, but it just took a crap without warning. I think the temperature change did it in.

Battery failures happen.

3: Bestop Fail. Apparently, Supertops for trucks aren't made for freeway use and/or are able to survive strong crosswinds... At 70 MPH on the I-17 heading back to Phoenix, the Velcro at the front of my Supertop separated suddenly, allowing a big gust of air to fill the camper, launching it 10-15 feet into the air and directly at oncoming traffic. It was installed properly. The separation was so violent that the back of the truck itself actually felt like it was lifting in the air for a moment. Catching all that wind so suddenly actually twisted the shit out of the c-clamps that hold it to the bed rails and actually bent the aluminum rails enough to free itself from the clamps. It was totally intact once recovered as the picture shows, so the c-clamps themselves were what let loose after it caught the wind when the velcro failed. I lost a lot of gear on the freeway and it damaged my bed rails in the process. My $600 ejector-top flew off in front of an $80k BMW and a Lexus SUV, but luckily, the other drivers were paying attention and avoided an accident.

That is definitely, definitely not supposed to happen.

On that note, I'm excited about my new tire. It's a new Hankook Dynapro AT-M. I bought it because that was all the Discount in Flagstaff had in stock at the time, but I'm really liking it so far. Hopefully it's more durable than the Rugged Fails.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:32 AM   #54
holy crap....is the top salvageable at all? that would suck terribly if not. i'm actually thinking about calling my insurance company to see how much extra it would be to get it covered with my truck.(not sure if it is) i've heard some people say the velcro comes undone in the front, but i dont think i've read anyone ever having it fly off the truck like yours did. crazy man crazy
Old 05-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #55
Gun Toting Gearhead

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by danteisme View Post
holy crap....is the top salvageable at all? that would suck terribly if not. i'm actually thinking about calling my insurance company to see how much extra it would be to get it covered with my truck.(not sure if it is) i've heard some people say the velcro comes undone in the front, but i dont think i've read anyone ever having it fly off the truck like yours did. crazy man crazy
The top is destroyed; the frame is all twisted up and the fabric itself is pretty jacked after skidding down the highway at 70 MPH. Plus, the clamps are all bent up now and there's no way to really secure it to the bed rails any more. I think the top might have stayed on after the velcro came undone under better circumstances, but the crosswinds were bad that day and it filled with air so quickly that it literally bent the aluminum clamps and it ripped right out of them.

It may not have been the crosswinds even, who knows. All I do know is that the thing was not designed well enough to prevent something like this from happening. The only thing that seals the front of the Supertop to the bed is a strip of velcro and two plastic clips that hold on to the frame that sits on the bed rails, and the only thing holding the entire unit to the truck is four aluminum c-clamps that twisted like a pretzel when force was applied to them. Thinking about it now, I'm not really surprised it failed.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #57
Banned
jjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jesse
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Build Dude!!! I like it
Old 06-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #59
Banned
jjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jesse
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
I think I found my favorite regular cab

Products Discussed in this Thread