Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

0uTkAsT's 4-Banger Base "Build"

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #861
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Josh, I was too lazy to read through entire thread. Just wondering how you've liked your Kumho MTs and what kinda tread life your expecting? thanks
Old 10-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #862
Gun Toting Gearhead
0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Overall, they're pretty damn good. First and foremost, they're a wheeling tire. Traction is great on everything... Pavement, dirt, sand, rocks, mud, snow, rain, etc. The siping in water and self cleaning in mud both work great. The sidewalls are extremely tough but could use beefier rock guards to keep the wall of the tire from getting skinned and ugly looking. But, all that good comes at a price, meaning they are soft, and they are heavy. The noise isn't bad, but they're too damn heavy for my 4-banger. They're also too soft for all the freeway driving I do. I've kept down the wear on them by switching them for my street tires when I'm not going to be leaving town. All told, they have about 4k miles on them and look great, but you can tell by how soft they are that they'll probably only go 25-30k miles before needing replaced. They dropped my 4-banger over 3 MPG and my truck has NO power with them on. They also heavily contributed to my clutch going bad, and I'm sure they cause a lot of extra wear and tear on other things such as the brakes, steering, bearings, etc.

If I could go back and do it again, I'd get a stronger wheel and a C- or D- rated MT. The E-rated is just too much unless you're really doing a lot of crawling someplace where there are a lot of sidewall hazards like sharp rocks or sticks. E-rated also has a disadvantage with these light weight trucks in mud, sand, and snow because even when they're fully aired down the sidewalls are so stiff that you don't get the "bulge" you need for proper flotation... they stay looking almost like they're at full pressure and don't bulge out unless you run over something hard. The stiffness does, however, make the truck handle better on the highway. It's all give and take I guess. They wouldn't bother me much if I had a V6 with 4.10s, but this 4-banger just doesn't have the guts to move them around with any sort of gusto. Even if I dropped to 4.56 or 4.88, I don't think I'd be satisfied.

I really want 4.56s and a C-rated 285 M/T, so if you'd be interested in buying these, we might be able to work something out. I just think shipping would be a turd.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #863
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Great report man. Yeah I just think they look badass. Since they come in D in 265s I was hoping they'd be lighter, but still 8 pounds heavier than my Duratracs.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:47 AM   #865
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
Haven't posted in a long time. Figured I'd bump the ol' build thread with a couple pictures from up North today.
Looks good Josh.
I'm heading out with a guy from work with a PreTaco & 5 or more from TW to hit the snowy & muddy trails today.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #870
Stormtrooper
KCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: LT
Name: Kyle
KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
Nice man! I still haven't regeared or locked mine. The only thing I've done in the last 6+ months is installed HIDs and an LED strip in the camper with SGT_Taco last time he was in Phoenix.

But on that note, I love my HIDs

same here man! haha I have 6k HIDs so bad ass! I saw his LED camper set up I was really jelly!

Itll be nice to lock my rear since my taco is a 2wd... so Ill be able to actually do things haha... sorta...
Old 03-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #871
Gun Toting Gearhead
0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
It makes me sad to say this but unfortunately there will be no more updates on my build (from me) from here on out...
My truck is going up for sale this week, and Sam's reg cab 4-banger will be getting traded in also.

This truck was my baby, and selling it really sucks - not only because I like it so much, but because of all the good times I've had in it, especially with the local TW guys and all the exploration we've done in it. But, I have a real baby on the way now, and there's just no way to have a family and keep one or two single cab pickups. We both need new vehicles, and the trucks must go. Since we can't afford one (let alone two) DCSBs, it appears that there will be no other Tacos for us in the near future either.

The good news is, I'll be cleaning it up and selling it how it sits today, minus most of the vinyls. I could part it out and make more money that way, but I'd rather sell someone a kick-ass little off-road truck than tear it all apart and see my rig get neutered and sold off piece by piece... I've got too much love in it for that.

The only sticker that will remain on the truck besides the hood blackout is the TacomaWorld sticker on the windshield so hopefully the new owner will find their way here. I can't thank you guys enough for all the compliments, tips, tricks, help, support, and great deals I've gotten here along the way. TacomaWorld is by far the most helpful, fun, and tightly-nit vehicle owners community I've ever come across online - and I've been a part of dozens. I'm sure I'll still stop in here from time to time, even if I'm Tacoless.

Anyways, it's been awesome guys. Thanks again,

Josh

Old 03-29-2013, 12:21 AM   #874
ortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Eric
ortlie09's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck with the little one! Hopefully you don't miss your truck too much
Old 05-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #877
Gun Toting Gearhead

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
They're pretty good. Great traction on and off-road, not overly loud, etc. But the sidewalls are too stiff to be very effective when aired down and the compound is very soft. My sidewalls are gashed up pretty bad and the tread life isn't very good on the highway. I have less than 7k on them and I am past the second treadwear indicator. I don't foresee getting more than 20k miles out of them.

And this is nothing against the tire but I really regret going with an E-rated Mud Terrain on my 4-banger. In hindsight I should've stuck with C- or D- rated All Terrains, the weight is just too much without regearing to 4.56s. I could've gone with the same size tire in a Hankook ATm or similar and shaved over 20lbs per tire. That makes a HUGE difference.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #878
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Ic I have 315/70/17 d rated which are about 71 lbs per tire. I have had good wear on these tires. But I have to agree d and e are to stiff for are trucks.i have about 20k still look good. They are good off roading, not really sure about the snow I have had the rear end slip out with these tires.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #879
Gun Toting Gearhead

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Well that's good to hear. I won't have this truck much longer so I won't have to worry about tread life

I haven't had them in much snow, but the few times I have they seemed to struggle a bit. I had a bit of a fight getting out of a 2ft snowbank in the high country last year, but then again I had 38lbs of air in them and didn't have to air down to get out so they didn't do too bad. Mud and sand is no problem at all though.

With these E-rated tires, I have to air down to about 8 psi to get any kind of bulge for flotation. With 15 lbs of air in them, they are still less flexible than the old C-rated Hankook ATm's I had on it previously at about 22 psi. Luckily they are grippy enough that I have only needed to air down a few times, but when I did it was pretty frustrating and scary because at 7-8 psi it is way too easy to pop a bead.

Products Discussed in this Thread