Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

0uTkAsT's 4-Banger Base "Build"

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #863
Gun Toting Gearhead
0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Re-posting this here just in case anyone else has questions about the exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDuran
Okay so I just want to make sure I get this right haha before I mess it up.

http://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-1042...amazonquery-20

is the one you got (got it from your forum post)

And you went to a shop had them weld it on and cut your pipe as well? to your spare? I want this baby to sound as loud as possible haha..
Yeah that looks like the right one, but make sure it's 18" long. That's how long mine is. It welded right up in place of the stock muffler being that length. I left the resonator in. If you want it louder, you can also chop out the resonator, but that might make it sound raspy and not as "burbley".

What I cut out was a bendy section behind the muffler that served no purpose, and just replaced it with a straight section of pipe. Mine isn't dumped at the axle, it goes all the way out the back and exits in the stock location with a TRD tip. Lots of guys who wheel hard do dump it behind the axle because if you come down off a rock with the rear tire on the passenger side it will land on the tailpipe and either pinch it shut or push it straight up in to the body and dent the quarter panel. Mine dented the quarter panel already so that wasn't an issue, and I often sleep in the bed of the truck with the shell on so I didn't want to suffocate myself if I ever needed to run the truck over night or anything like that with it dumped underneath.

I have a TRD tip and it is 9" long.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #865
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
... Lots of guys who wheel hard do dump it behind the axle because if you come down off a rock with the rear tire on the passenger side it will land on the tailpipe and either pinch it shut or push it straight up in to the body and dent the quarter panel. Mine dented the quarter panel already so that wasn't an issue...
Happened to me three weeks ago...
Old 10-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #866
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Josh, I was too lazy to read through entire thread. Just wondering how you've liked your Kumho MTs and what kinda tread life your expecting? thanks
Old 10-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #867
Gun Toting Gearhead
0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Overall, they're pretty damn good. First and foremost, they're a wheeling tire. Traction is great on everything... Pavement, dirt, sand, rocks, mud, snow, rain, etc. The siping in water and self cleaning in mud both work great. The sidewalls are extremely tough but could use beefier rock guards to keep the wall of the tire from getting skinned and ugly looking. But, all that good comes at a price, meaning they are soft, and they are heavy. The noise isn't bad, but they're too damn heavy for my 4-banger. They're also too soft for all the freeway driving I do. I've kept down the wear on them by switching them for my street tires when I'm not going to be leaving town. All told, they have about 4k miles on them and look great, but you can tell by how soft they are that they'll probably only go 25-30k miles before needing replaced. They dropped my 4-banger over 3 MPG and my truck has NO power with them on. They also heavily contributed to my clutch going bad, and I'm sure they cause a lot of extra wear and tear on other things such as the brakes, steering, bearings, etc.

If I could go back and do it again, I'd get a stronger wheel and a C- or D- rated MT. The E-rated is just too much unless you're really doing a lot of crawling someplace where there are a lot of sidewall hazards like sharp rocks or sticks. E-rated also has a disadvantage with these light weight trucks in mud, sand, and snow because even when they're fully aired down the sidewalls are so stiff that you don't get the "bulge" you need for proper flotation... they stay looking almost like they're at full pressure and don't bulge out unless you run over something hard. The stiffness does, however, make the truck handle better on the highway. It's all give and take I guess. They wouldn't bother me much if I had a V6 with 4.10s, but this 4-banger just doesn't have the guts to move them around with any sort of gusto. Even if I dropped to 4.56 or 4.88, I don't think I'd be satisfied.

I really want 4.56s and a C-rated 285 M/T, so if you'd be interested in buying these, we might be able to work something out. I just think shipping would be a turd.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #868
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Great report man. Yeah I just think they look badass. Since they come in D in 265s I was hoping they'd be lighter, but still 8 pounds heavier than my Duratracs.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:47 AM   #870
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Haven't posted in a long time. Figured I'd bump the ol' build thread with a couple pictures from up North today.
Looks good Josh.
I'm heading out with a guy from work with a PreTaco & 5 or more from TW to hit the snowy & muddy trails today.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #875
Stormtrooper
KCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: LT
Name: Kyle
KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice man! I still haven't regeared or locked mine. The only thing I've done in the last 6+ months is installed HIDs and an LED strip in the camper with SGT_Taco last time he was in Phoenix.

But on that note, I love my HIDs

same here man! haha I have 6k HIDs so bad ass! I saw his LED camper set up I was really jelly!

Itll be nice to lock my rear since my taco is a 2wd... so Ill be able to actually do things haha... sorta...
Old 03-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #876
Gun Toting Gearhead

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
It makes me sad to say this but unfortunately there will be no more updates on my build (from me) from here on out...
My truck is going up for sale this week, and Sam's reg cab 4-banger will be getting traded in also.

This truck was my baby, and selling it really sucks - not only because I like it so much, but because of all the good times I've had in it, especially with the local TW guys and all the exploration we've done in it. But, I have a real baby on the way now, and there's just no way to have a family and keep one or two single cab pickups. We both need new vehicles, and the trucks must go. Since we can't afford one (let alone two) DCSBs, it appears that there will be no other Tacos for us in the near future either.

The good news is, I'll be cleaning it up and selling it how it sits today, minus most of the vinyls. I could part it out and make more money that way, but I'd rather sell someone a kick-ass little off-road truck than tear it all apart and see my rig get neutered and sold off piece by piece... I've got too much love in it for that.

The only sticker that will remain on the truck besides the hood blackout is the TacomaWorld sticker on the windshield so hopefully the new owner will find their way here. I can't thank you guys enough for all the compliments, tips, tricks, help, support, and great deals I've gotten here along the way. TacomaWorld is by far the most helpful, fun, and tightly-nit vehicle owners community I've ever come across online - and I've been a part of dozens. I'm sure I'll still stop in here from time to time, even if I'm Tacoless.

Anyways, it's been awesome guys. Thanks again,

Josh

Old 03-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #877
"I'd Rather Live, Than Live Forever"
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #879
ortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Eric
ortlie09's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck with the little one! Hopefully you don't miss your truck too much

Products Discussed in this Thread