Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

0uTkAsT's 4-Banger Base "Build"

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
Gun Toting Gearhead
0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
0uTkAsT's 4-Banger Base Build - 56k cook a turkey

Here's my 2006 Silver Streak Mica SR5 regular cab 4WD Tacoma with a 2.7L and 5-speed. It has 39k miles on it as of 4/01/11 (hit 50k as of 4/01/12).

************************************************** ************************************************** *****

What's Done:

Armor & Body

- Avid Off Road custom tubular front bumper w/ skid, shackles, vent holes, light tabs, and hoop

- Avid Off Road custom tubular rear bumper w/ hidden 2" receiver, shackles, filler bars, step plate, and LED plate light bar

- Avid Off Road sliders w/ custom kickouts

- Jason Industries Camper Shell

- Crawlorado Hood Blackout Kit

Suspension, Wheels & Tires

- Bilstein 5100s front & rear w/ front @ .85"

- Deaver "long style" high arch 2" add-a-leafs

- Eibach coils

- ToyTec diff drop kit

- Sway bar delete

- MBM 72B 16x8.5" alloys

- 33x11.5" (285/75-16) Kumho KL71 M/Ts

- 32x10.5" (265/75-16) Hankook Dynapro AT-M spare

- Plasti-Derped Factory 5-Spoke Steel "Street Wheels"

- Stock Dunlop 245/75-16 "Street Tires"

- Stock Dunlop "Street Spares"

Performance

- aFe dry filter

- Intake baffle delete mod

- Charcoal filter delete mod

- Magnaflow MagnaPack 18" muffler w/ exhaust bend delete and TRD tip

- Differential breather mod (relocated to storage box)

Lighting

- OEM black housing headlight swap w/ 6000k LED running light retrofit

- 6 Road Shock 6.5" 100W halogen off-road lights

- Aeon black housing tail lights w/ 360 degree 27 3-chip SMD LED signals, 360 degree 45 3-chip SMD LED dual intensity brake/tail lights, and 6000k 360 degree 68 2-chip SMD LED reverse bulbs

- Smoked 3rd brake light w/ LED swap

- White Dash LED swap w/ Blue Needles

- 16 LED dome light

- CF18 LED-compatible flasher relay

Interior & Cosmetic

- Coverking Tactical 1680-denier Cordura ballistic nylon seat covers with MOLLE webbing & MOLLE pouches with 2-way radios, water and MRE storage, medical supplies, TP, tools, maps, and other essentials

- Removable, all-weather bed carpet

- 20%/25% tinted windows (rear/sides)

- Painted grille

- Mudflap delete

- Bestop Supertop convertible camper (now destroyed)

- WeatherTech Digital Fit floor mats

- Debadged tailgate

- Gun rack / gear mount

- Shorty aluminum bullet antenna

- Kenwood DNX7100 double DIN nav w/ Garmin GPS receiver

- Scosche dash & speaker adapters

- JBL door speakers

- Sony tweeters

- Nokya aluminum anti-slip pedals

- Weighted skull shift knob

- Undercoated frame and inner fender wells, painted rear end, drums, UCAs & LCAs, and skid plates

- Vinyls

Recovery

- Behind-the-seat gear rack w/ straps, tire repair, hand tools, lighting, etc.

- Bed-mounted shovel, axe, extinguisher & Hi-Lift in Quickfist clamps / Hi-Lift XRAC

- Portable air compressor & jump starter

- 130W inverter

************************************************** ************************************************** *****

What's Next:

- Detroit locker

- 4.56 gears w/ master install kits

- Light Racing UCAs

- LCE Dual Comp Clutch Kit

- Skid plates (engine, tranny, T-case, rear diff, gas tank)

- URD short shifter / knob

- URD / Walbro External
190 LPH fuel pump & filter upgrade kit

- Trail Gear silicone radiator hose kit

- Hawk SuperDuty ferro-carbon pads

- Brake Labs slotted zinc-plated rotors

Bucket List:
- Mid Travel Suspension
- Lighter 285s (C-Rated
Yokohama Geolandar M/T+)
- Level 8 Alloy Wheels
- 285 Spare
- Safari snorkel
- LCE 2TR header
- Silver vents & trim swap
- Wheeler's Off-Road SuperBumps
- Total Chaos bolt-on LCA skids
- Viper Responder 350 2-way alarm w/ tilt sensor
- 6000k HID headlight kit

Old 04-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
Gun Toting Gearhead
0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
I really wanted a Bedrug, as I had one in a Dakota I used to own and it was amazingly useful for camping and hauling the dogs around. But, I didn't want to spend $400 on a "real" Bedrug or $200 just for a bed mat and tailgate cover. So, off to Home Depot I went and $30 later we have this:

It ain't that soft. It ain't that pretty. But it works, it's waterproof and UV resistant, and the backing is thick enough to stay flat so you don't feel the ridges in the bed. Good enough for me, and the dogs aren't complaining, either.

From the start, one of the things I didn't like about the base model Tacoma was the "work truck" looking blacked out front grille. The bumpers, door handles, fenders, and mirrors don't bug me, but the grille did. But again, I didn't want to pay $100 to have someone color match my grille or pay $200+ for a pre-made one. So, off to PepBoys I went, and $25 later, we have this:

Before:

After:

Here's how I did the grille using Dupli-Color Perfect Match High Gloss Clear, Silver Streak Mica, and their High-Build Sandable Primer.

It started out ugly, gray, and pretty beat up:

The factory grille inserts looked like a pain in the arse to remove and replace, so I decided to just mask it all off:

I applied three coats of high-build primer and wet sanded after each coat with 400 grit paper:

Then came three coats of the silver paint, each one followed by wet sanding with 800 grit paper:

And finally followed by two coats of clear, wet sanding with 1200 grit paper after the first coat.

Paint overspray was giving me some real cool metallic silver boogers, but I didn't figure it was too healthy so I ran out and bought a mask last-minute.

And the finished product:

The paint is certainly not a perfect match, my masking tape didn't prevent all of the overspray from getting on the inserts, there are flaws in it here and there (from both my f*ck ups and the original damage to the grille that I didn't fix properly), and the clear coat is a little dull. BUT, like the carpet, it was super cheap, and it looks a lot better than it did before.

It looks great from 10 feet away and/or at night time

Old 04-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
Killbuzzjrad will become famous soon enoughKillbuzzjrad will become famous soon enough

Air Force:
Name: Jared
Killbuzzjrad's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
Gun Toting Gearhead

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery

Updates on following pages: Breather mod, smoked tail / 3rd brake lights, black head lights, Supertop etc.

Here's a link to the thread with sound clips/videos and more details on the intake and exhaust mods:

Linky

A build thread is no good without pictures, so I'll post them here as I take them from now on. Here's some "old" ones:

Pics from my birthday...

Videos (Crown King):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrew-qx_tpc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12mWEzIpcuo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBABSEAKVsI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ0Mw4W0uGg
Old 04-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great man.
What was the stuff you got at home depot for the bed? Just outdoor carpet or something?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
MURDERED_TACO
nick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud of

nick's Tacoma Gallery
nice truck man!! i like those wheels!!
Old 04-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
Gun Toting Gearhead

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
I spent several hours today detailing the truck inside and out, paying special attention to the black plastic parts and headlights which really made the truck look older. The paint was also a bit dull, but not too bad.

I snapped some before/after pics, and while the results aren't as telling in pictures as it is in person, I think in about three hours the truck looks at least three years newer.

Headlights before (note yellowing/fogginess/oxidation):

Headlights after:

Before/After, note the grille before and after paint, the bumper/fender grayness before, and the paint dullness before.

Finished product:

Products used:

Paint:
Ice car wash soap
Meguiar's Gold Class wax

Wheels/Tires:
Hot Wheels tire gel
Eagle One Nano wheel polish

Exhaust/Chrome:
Eagle One wadding compound

Plastics:
Novus plastic polish spray
3M plastic restorer
Mother's Back To Black
Turtle Wax bug & tar remover

Headlights:
Meguiar's PlastX
Novus plastic polish spray
Turtle Wax bug & tar remover

Old 04-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
Gun Toting Gearhead

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killbuzzjrad View Post
Looking good.
Thank you sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
nice truck man!! i like those wheels!!
Much appreciated. The wheels are 16x8.5" MBM 72Bs I bought from Discount Tire. I got a discount at Discount because a buddy of mine is a manager there I paid less than $400 including tax. I'm real happy with the wheels, too. They're even nicer in person. The machining and finish on them is very high quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker_troy View Post
Looks great man.
What was the stuff you got at home depot for the bed? Just outdoor carpet or something?
Yep, it's just the best indoor/outdoor carpet they had that wasn't some fugly color (green or baby blue were the only other options ). A lot of the cheaper outdoor carpet wasn't UV resistant and had almost no backing so it wouldn't have done anything to diminish the ridges in the bed which was my main goal. So far it is holding up well, and was really easy to cut to the size and shape of the bed. They only sell it by the linear foot so I had to buy an 8 foot by six foot section and then cut it down to about 7'4" long and 4'6" wide and cut out the "notches" for the fenderwells.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #10
Tacoma206 is a name known to allTacoma206 is a name known to allTacoma206 is a name known to allTacoma206 is a name known to allTacoma206 is a name known to allTacoma206 is a name known to all

Name: Mike
Tacoma206's Tacoma Gallery
It looks really good. I like the silver grill and I really like your wheels. They look good with the colors of the truck. Nice work!
Old 04-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #11
Beretta Taco
Mescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant future

Firefighter: Come from a family of Army and Air Force
Name: Matt
Mescalero's Tacoma Gallery
nice paint job
Old 04-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #13
Gun Toting Gearhead

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Got my gun rack installed. Total cost: $9.62

Took a little work, about an hour total, but fits solid, doesn't rattle, and is out of sight but remains easily accessible. It's a cheap-o Wal-Mart Winchester-branded gun rack designed to go in a window. I cut, beveled, and drilled it until I was able to mount it securely in the child safety seat anchors. Couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

Seat folded:

Seat up:

From the back with 3rd window open:

I'm happy that it carries my camera tripod without rattling or taking up any space behind the seat also. Space is very valuable in a single cab.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #14
150,000 miles and counting
mcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud of

Name: sean
mcleod90's Tacoma Gallery
truck looks brand new with the cleaned up headlights. and the bumper turned out great to.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #15
Making changes is always fun
TacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack
TacoGK's Tacoma Gallery
Truck is coming together nicely . It looks a lot better with the detail job and painted grille.

Products Discussed in this Thread