Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

BLACKnBLUE's Rear Bumper Build

Old 04-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
BLACKnBLUE is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLACKnBLUE is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLACKnBLUE is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLACKnBLUE is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLACKnBLUE is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLACKnBLUE is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLACKnBLUE is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLACKnBLUE is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLACKnBLUE is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLACKnBLUE is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLACKnBLUE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Iain
BLACKnBLUE's Tacoma Gallery
BLACKnBLUE's Rear Bumper Build

INTRODUCTION

While there are several things that I have already done to my 2007 Indigo Ink, Double-Cab, Short-Bed Taco, this is the first "big" project I have undertaken.

So far, I've installed spacers (3" front and 1 3/4" rear), blacked out the wheels (which were stock), blacked out the headlights, installed an aftermarket roof rack, and installed an ARB front bumper.

Sometime ago I backed into another car. And since have been waiting for the "right" time to fix the damage (mainly on the rear left corner--bumper and quarter panel). I had looked at several of the aftermarket bumpers that are available, and didn't really find any one that had all the characteristics that I wanted in a rear bumper. So when my buddy since high school suggested that we build our own, I was all for it!

What will follow is an image and description (in chronological order) accounting of our progress thus far (we're still working on it...). Feel free to ask for clarification or additional photos.

Enjoy!
Old 04-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
BLACKnBLUE is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLACKnBLUE is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLACKnBLUE is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLACKnBLUE is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLACKnBLUE is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLACKnBLUE is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLACKnBLUE is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLACKnBLUE is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLACKnBLUE is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLACKnBLUE is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLACKnBLUE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Through some well-placed connections, we were able to obtain a healthy amount of (mostly) 1/4" steel. We also obtain a piece of 8"x5' 3/8" steel. Most of this was in the form of one long piece of steel square tubing (with beveled edges). Here, it's getting trimmed down to approximately the length we needed.

Below, you can see that this metal had been exposed to the elements for a little while... nothing that some cleaning won't fix!

Lots of cleaning...

Old 04-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #4

Once we knew the exact length of the main piece (which is essentially the distance of the tailgate), we could cut the steel tubing to length.

And to prevent me from cutting my hand (again), we decided to polish the cut edges...

Having the tubing made it really easy to draw on our initial bumper shape, seen below.

Later, I decided to drop the exhaust cut-outs for a future hidden exhaust system. This increased our ability to angle in the sides of the bumper. In hindsight, I'm really glad I made this decision.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKnBLUE View Post

That is a massive piece of steel lol. Can't wait to see what you guys turn it into.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #6

To save on weight and to increase the amount of usable material, we opted to cut-off the back of the square tube/bumper. This material will be needed for the license plate cut-out or in-step (whatever you want to call it...) and for the side pieces. (We plan on wrapping the bumper around all the way to the wheel well)

(Just slightly magnetic...)

Next step? Cut-out the bottom of the bumper for where it will be angling up and where the license plate will be going (Just bought new license plate lights from ebay today!)

(^^I thought this was a pretty cool picture! )

Needless to say, we've gone through several cutting-wheels. Since this time, I've used both a cutting torch and cutting-wheels. I think I prefer the cutting-wheels. They seems to be more precise and less messy.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
nice. cant wait to see it finished
Old 04-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #8

This was one of our brighter ideas (below). Since then, we've forgotten who initially came up with the idea, but in any case... We cut out the space for the license plate, and dropped the top piece straight down. The combination of the two beveled edges creates a nice curve. There will a picture of this later, but here, you can see me holding what was the "top" of the steel tube on the bottom of the cut-out space. It's gonna look sweet!

You may be noticing at this point that the bumper is warped. This was something that I didn't consider or know about working with metal. Either the metal's natural "grain" or the heat generated from cutting (or both), caused the metal to warp, quite substantially. We'll be taking some measures to correct this later down the road...
Old 04-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
pass me the popcorn!!
Old 04-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
DonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: don
DonnoD's Tacoma Gallery
nothing better than making your own bumper. good job man
Old 04-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
Making changes is always fun
TacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack
TacoGK's Tacoma Gallery
Man i think this is going to be a great looking bumper. I have built a lot of bumpers in the last 20 yrs and have had this happen a few times. Dont worry about the bowing, you can get it to straighten back out. 1 way to minimize the bowing is before you cut out a big section like that is to weld a stiffiner brace across the area you are cutting out. once you weld your pieces back in you can take a torch and wash the weld off the stiffiner brace and grind to smooth everything back out. Keep posting the pics of the progress. BTW I may be getting some ideas here......
Old 04-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #12
FF4RC5
08FireRescueTaco is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Volunteer FireFighter
Name: Hunter
08FireRescueTaco's Tacoma Gallery
subscribed!! good job
Old 04-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #13
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-13-2011, 04:48 AM   #14
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
That looks awesome so far. Keep it up! Predrilling for any reverse lights?
Old 04-13-2011, 04:51 AM   #15
"Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."
tacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
tacomarotto's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-13-2011, 05:22 AM   #16
comiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
comiesutra's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
That looks awesome so far. Keep it up! Predrilling for any reverse lights?
Eventually, that's the plan. Probably located in each corner so they actually shine where the side mirrors look... go figure. But anyway, yeah. But I haven't figured out exactly what lights to use yet. I just want to be able to mount them flush, so it looks manufactured that way--know what I mean?

I've been looking at trailer lights and those rock-crawling LEDs that are super bright...
Old 04-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #18

A little clarification may be in order. For those of you following along, much more progress has been made thus far, but I am adding additional photos and corresponding info in small packets/groups. Currently, the entire back section in done minus lighting/mounts/fixtures. What remains to be done are the side pieces.

The below picture shows attaching that "license plate bottom" piece that I was trying to describe. I'll let the pictures show what I can't describe with words...

^ Here, you can see Chris using a C-Clamp bring that 'bottom piece' into alignment for tacking.

^Tacking the other side...

^And finally... welding it on.

^Now welded in place!

^Here you can see the attached lower section. This picture also shows the side pieces attached and after some grinding has been done to clean up the lines.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #19
Making changes is always fun
TacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack
TacoGK's Tacoma Gallery
Coming along nicely......cant wait to see a finished product on the truck
Old 04-16-2011, 08:15 AM   #20
beckleyota is just really nicebeckleyota is just really nicebeckleyota is just really nicebeckleyota is just really nice

beckleyota's Tacoma Gallery
nice build