Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

ShadesOfGrey's Build

Old 04-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
ShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Aircraft Fuel Handler
Name: Jamie
ShadesOfGrey's Tacoma Gallery
ShadesOfGrey's Build

Ok, so here is my attempt at getting my build together. Got lots of plans, just limited funding.

I picked up my 2010 Tacoma Double Cab, Long Bed in February 2010. It was fresh off the line with 5 miles on her.

As she sits now:

So far I have completed:

Performance:
1. TRD cat back exhaust.
2. Airaid CAI.

Suspension, Wheels & Tires:

1. Pro Comp 3" suspension lift.
  • Front: Pro Comp ES 6000 shocks w/ new coils
  • Rear: Pro Comp ES 9000 shocks + an "add a leaf"
2. 17x9 Moto Metal 951 wheels w/ Pro Comp Xtreme All Terrain 285/70 R17 tires.

Armor:
1. Sliders

Mods:
1. Grillcraft grill with TRD badge and 82-83 Toyota pickup emblem.
2. BAMF (formerly Elusive Elements) behind the grill light bar with 2 PIAA 520 ATP lights.

Add ons:
1. Weathertech in channel window visors.
2. Pro-Tech headache rack, powder coated black with 2 red led markers, and 2 battery wired led whites (switch in cab).
3. Uniden CB and Firestik II antenna.
4. Weathertech Digital Fit floor liners.
5. Pro-Tech toolbox.
6. Changed out stock headlights with BHLM housings.
7. Replaced fog bulbs with 3K color bulbs, and headlights with 4100 color PIAAs.
8. Installed Clifford CS3000 remote start system.
9. Rotopax bedrail mounts x 2 with a 3 gallon gas can and 2 gallon water can.
10. Sockmonkey bedside decals.
11. Tinted front windows.

Upcoming mods and/or additions:

1. Upgrade stereo (maybe).
2. Headers.
3. Upgrade suspension and maybe lift a little more. (Mid Travel?)
4. Plate bumper and winch (front).
5. Supercharger ???

So many ideas... So little cash.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:42 AM   #3
supremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of light
supremetaco2's Tacoma Gallery
never seen that rack before, nice truck
Old 04-13-2011, 01:49 AM   #4
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
nice build, i kinda like the rack
Old 04-13-2011, 02:11 AM   #5
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good so far! Nice rack

What are your future mods?
Old 04-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
ShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody6047 View Post
Looking good so far! Nice rack

What are your future mods?
Thanks a lot! Well, I need to add all my plans for future mods, but I'm probably looking at getting it set up for some good off roading. Trail armor, headers, upgrade the suspension, locking diff, etc...

I need to deploy again so I can afford it. Ha.

Would really love to supercharge it for some reason.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #7

Got my CB installed last weekend. It went pretty easy. I posted a few pictures. I thought it turned out good.

I was able to run the antenna cable, and power wires right along the factory wires.

I was able to find a hood channel mount. It fits pretty good. I spray painted the mount black so it would match up a little better, as well as the quick disconnect. I think it turned out ok.

Now I'm just waiting on some WeatherTech floor liners, and trying to figure out what to do next.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #8

Got my Weathertech floor liners in... Well worth the money.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
whitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
whitetaco02's Tacoma Gallery
Any issues with the wheels? I am interested in going with a 16x8 on stock suspension. Were you able to use the stock lug nuts? Any issues with clearing break calipers?
Old 06-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetaco02 View Post
Any issues with the wheels? I am interested in going with a 16x8 on stock suspension. Were you able to use the stock lug nuts? Any issues with clearing break calipers?
The wheels I used were 17x9 and came with new lug nuts. The wheels, I believe, have 4.5" of backspacing. As far as the brake calipers, there were no issues.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #11

Getting my toolbox picked up today.

Also, ordered my Grillcraft black mesh upper for $150 shipped from the link below thanks to a post from 'MyTaco' I found in the following thread.

Thread reference:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...craft-put.html

Grillcraft ordering link:
http://www.truckalterations.com/html/toyotanation.html
Old 06-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #12
Dog slave
Erik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
Erik65's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious, what kind of range is the cb capable of?
Old 06-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik65 View Post
Just curious, what kind of range is the cb capable of?

I've picked up converstations up to ten miles out. Transmitting I have only tested up to five miles. I'm sure a little longer antenna would help. The radio model is PRO520XL made by Uniden. My dad has had that model in his service truck for the last 4 years, with no complaints. Hope that helps.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:58 AM   #14

Installed my toolbox last weekend. It was a pretty straight forward install. The rough part with it was the fact that the Tacoma does not have a lip around the bed, but the bed rail system. Either way, I got it to work. I had the headache rack earlier, but didn't have pictures of the install.

First I removed the headache rack from my bed, which is secured by 4 3/8" bolts, and matched it up to the toolbox. Between the toolbox and the headache rack legs I cut pieces of black rubber molding (like you would use at the base of a wall in a kitchen, office, bathroom, etc.) to serve as a kind of buffer... I didn't get pictures of that.

Next I ended up having to drill new holes into the pieces of 1/4" aluminum that set inside the bed rails to secure the headache rack. After those holes were drilled, I matched them up and followed their guide through the rack legs into the toolbox. I then threaded the holes in the aluminum, and placed them back into the rails.

I cut some smaller sections of that rubber molding to kind of use as a seal for the holes on the toolbox.

I then placed everything into the bed where it needed to go, and lined up all the holes. Didn't get pictures again, but I had to cut 4 new 3/8" bolts from 2" to 1 1/2" to get them to suck down so I only had to use a washer and a lockwasher. Then I bolted it in.

The finished product...

Attached Thumbnails
ShadesOfGrey's Build-dsc00399.jpg  
Old 07-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #15

Got my Grillcraft grill installed Tuesday and attached the TRD logo Wednesday.

I removed the grill section from my truck, which wasn't all that hard. I then used an engine enamel black spray paint to blacken the area behind the grill, only lightly dusting the veins.

I then started cutting the center out of my grill, using a hacksaw blade. It took a little while, but went really easy. The roughest part was getting up the nerve to cut into my truck... Beer helped.

I then placed the grill in place to mark the 6 holes I needed to drill, removed the grill, drilled the holes and put everything together. Putting those screws in was the most difficult part. When I finished I installed it in place on my truck.

I got everything together that night to get my TRD emblem together. I picked up some narrow bolts, washers, lock washers, nylon lock nuts, and some epoxy. I used a hacksaw to cut the origional studs off the emblem, and epoxied the new bolts in place of them. I let everything set overnight and through the workday on Wednesday.

When I got home from work I put it on. Turned out pretty nice.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #16

Started working on my 'TOYOTA' emblem tonight.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #17
Treedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Barry
Treedawg37's Tacoma Gallery
nice looking truck man!
Old 07-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treedawg37 View Post
nice looking truck man!
Thanks man. A lot I still want to do. How you likin' the 11?
Old 07-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #19
Treedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Barry
Treedawg37's Tacoma Gallery
great! just starting mods on it. like most folks BIG LIST AND SHORT FUNDS!.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treedawg37 View Post
great! just starting mods on it. like most folks BIG LIST AND SHORT FUNDS!.
I hear ya. What all are ya lookin' into?