Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

azchris's 2011 TRD Off Road Build

Old 04-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
azchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
azchris's Tacoma Gallery
azchris's 2011 TRD Off Road Build

So I'm not new to the forums, but I'm fairly new to Tacoma ownership I'm gonna do this chronologically so you can see the truck as it progresses.

Specs:
  • Silver Streak
  • TRD OffRoad
  • Double Cab Short Bed
  • v6 PreRunner

Current mods:
  • Smittybilt Lightbar with 4 Kragen HIDs
  • Removed mudflaps
  • 20% tint front, 5% tint rear
  • Smoked rear emblems, debadged doors
  • Powdercoated TRD rims graphite, had the black side of tires turned outside. Balanced with stick-on weights on the inside.

Future mods:
  • 265/75R16 All Terrain KOs
  • Wicked Flow muffler
  • Some sort of leveling kit for the front

March/April 2011

Anyway, I have big plans for the truck but I'm trying not to get in over my head right away. So far, I've put a Smittybilt lightbar and 4 Kragen HIDs up front and removed the mudflaps. I also want to tint the fronts 35% and the rear doors/window 20% over the factory tint, which should bring it down to about 7% I think.

Here's some shots of the truck with less than 1000 miles on it:

Mudflaps and paper plates still on

2011 grille up close

Stock... for now

The 2011 gauge cluster

Now for the lightbar...

The second one in wasn't quite straight...

And one of another Tacoma parked in front of me

May 2011

Got it in to be tinted, decided to do 20% on the front, and 5% around the back 3 windows. I'm glad I did, it's exactly how I wanted it to look. A little hard to see the rear view at night, but otherwise it's perfect. Some bad cell phone pics:

June 2011
Blacked out the badges with Duplicolor Shadow, there's a thread about it here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...xperiment.html

July 2011

Originally these were getting powdercoated to fix some gouges that a tire shop put in them. Unfortunately, the powdercoat shop did a pretty terrible job, so a friend made me some paint that is mostly clear coat and black+gold pearl and sprayed over the sanded powdercoat, so it was a body-shop-quality job with hardener and everything

Next thing on the list is debadging the doors (which I've been meaning to do for awhile) and a front-to-back detail job.

Stuck!

So I figured I would add a stuck section to the thread. This is the first weekend I got the truck, locked and running at 35PSI. It did pretty well except for these two hills.

That's all for now!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed!
Old 04-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
BigPoppaSmurf
sveezy012 is on a distinguished road

Name: Sergio
sveezy012's Tacoma Gallery
nice lookin truck man, mines stock too except for the new headlights, takin my build slowly but surely! im really diggin the new gauge cluster! let me know what kind of mods ur plannin, ill be sure to return some ideas
Old 04-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
WOW! You sir have some great photography skills! awesome truck!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
azchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shed
azchris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sveezy012 View Post
nice lookin truck man, mines stock too except for the new headlights, takin my build slowly but surely! im really diggin the new gauge cluster! let me know what kind of mods ur plannin, ill be sure to return some ideas
Guess I should add this to the main thread, after the warranty runs out I'm looking at doing a nice mid travel suspension. Here's one setup I was thinking about, but I'll have some time to decide while it's under warranty.

Wheels and Tires
Procomp 8128
BFG All Terrain 285/75R16

Suspension
Icon Ext. Travel Resi Coilovers Front
Camburg Uniball UCAs Front
Camburg 4" Lift Spindle Front
All Pro 3" Leaf Pack Rear
Icon Resi Shocks Rear
All Pro U Bolt Flip and Bumpstops Rear
Old 04-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
check out the AZ sections man!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by azchris View Post
Guess I should add this to the main thread, after the warranty runs out I'm looking at doing a nice mid travel suspension. Here's one setup I was thinking about, but I'll have some time to decide while it's under warranty.

Wheels and Tires
Procomp 8128
BFG All Terrain 285/75R16

Suspension
Icon Ext. Travel Resi Coilovers Front
Camburg Uniball UCAs Front
Camburg 4" Lift Spindle Front
All Pro 3" Leaf Pack Rear
Icon Resi Shocks Rear
All Pro U Bolt Flip and Bumpstops Rear
sounds like a solid set up!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
Dr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to behold

Name: Matt
Dr. Pepper's Tacoma Gallery
Truck looks good man, and plans sound good aswell. I love that cluster!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #9
azchris's Tacoma Gallery
Stuck!

So I figured I would add a stuck section to the thread. This is the first weekend I got the truck, locked and running at 35PSI. It did pretty well except for these two hills.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:57 PM   #10
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Where are the stuck pictures taken?
Old 04-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #11
azchris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
Where are the stuck pictures taken?
Nighttime ones are at Picacho in California, daytime ones are in the desert near Yuma, about a mile or two north off exit 12 on I-8.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:13 PM   #12
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I love the road to picacho. specially at night, too bad its only 18 miles long.

I got stuck there once as well. What had happen was that i was prerunning and hit some whoops but everything was fine. we stopped to check out the canyon at the midpoint of the trail. Once we got in the truck again, the battery was dead. it turned out that the battery bounced and cracked. leaking all the battery acid. We walked back for a while till we got picked up
Old 04-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #13
azchris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumatrd View Post
I love the road to picacho. specially at night, too bad its only 18 miles long.

I got stuck there once as well. What had happen was that i was prerunning and hit some whoops but everything was fine. we stopped to check out the canyon at the midpoint of the trail. Once we got in the truck again, the battery was dead. it turned out that the battery bounced and cracked. leaking all the battery acid. We walked back for a while till we got picked up
I was down in the wash, I backed off the trail to turn around and ended up on a slope which dug the back tires in. Stupid mistake. I don't have 4WD to get me out. My friend's 1st gen didn't fair so well...

Old 04-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #14
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Ouch,
Ill be down to do the run when im back in yuma for the summer
Old 04-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #15
azchris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumatrd View Post
Ouch,
Ill be down to do the run when im back in yuma for the summer
Yep, I'm at ASU right now. Can't wait to get back to Yuma and hit up the desert and the river
Old 04-27-2011, 10:21 PM   #16
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #17
Chewie is my Co-pilot

YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by azchris View Post
Yep, I'm at ASU right now. Can't wait to get back to Yuma and hit up the desert and the river
Im at ASU as well.
Im ready to do some float downs as well
Old 05-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #19
azchris's Tacoma Gallery
May 2011

Got it in to be tinted, decided to do 20% on the front, and 5% around the back 3 windows. I'm glad I did, it's exactly how I wanted it to look. A little hard to see the rear view at night, but otherwise it's perfect. Some bad cell phone pics:

Old 05-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #20
Chewie is my Co-pilot

YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
you down in Yuma yet?