Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Aftermarket steering wheels

Old 06-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
All go, No show
Davtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
Davtopgun's Tacoma Gallery
Aftermarket steering wheels

Anyone went with an aftermarket steering wheel? The leather on mine is near worn through and i don't want to put a stupid looking cover on it. My steering wheel is a simple one with no controls other then the horn, and cruise that i've never even used. So, i wouldn't be losing anything.

My questions are,

What would it look like?

Do they make one that would mount up?

If anyone has done this, pics would be awesome!
Old 06-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think I ever saw a custom wheel that was airbag compatible. Why not get that one rewrapped or find a used stock one?
Old 06-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Do they make aftermarket steering wheels with airbags? I've never seen one, and I dont know if I'd want to drive a car without one- not only because of the danger, but because I'm sure if you get hurt the insurance company is going to have a field day with the fact that you removed your airbag. Plus, I'd feel horrible if someone else was driving my truck and got in an accident.

Well, buzzkill.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I'm sure some company makes an adapter for the Taco but removing an air bag on a street driven vehicle is illegal.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I'm sure some company makes an adapter for the Taco but removing an air bag on a street driven vehicle is illegal.
Not sure it's totally illegal.my wife is 4'11" and drives super close to the wheel.I heard if your under 5' you could have the bag disabled.I have to call the dealer this week.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdiddy View Post
Not sure it's totally illegal.my wife is 4'11" and drives super close to the wheel.I heard if your under 5' you could have the bag disabled.I have to call the dealer this week.
Not sure about that but I could see it. You are supposed to be as far away from the steering wheel as possible when driving. But when a normal driver is changing it to be cool it is illegal.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davtopgun View Post
As far as i know it's not illegal, dangerous maybe, but not illegal.

Easy fix, just install a 5 point harness.
It is most certainly illegal. How do I know? I researched this in my ricer days because I wanted a cool steering wheel. I'm looking for a link now.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #11
All go, No show
Davtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
It is most certainly illegal. How do I know? I researched this in my ricer days because I wanted a cool steering wheel. I'm looking for a link now.
Just did a bit of reading myself, and it appears that "any vehicle that came standard with an airbag, it is illegal to remove it". But, it appears that it's no more illegal then tinting your windows to dark, or your tail lights to dark. And IF a cop decides to ticket you, it's a minor fine.

UNLESS ofcourse, you live in Cali....Where it's illegal to fart upwind.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #12
Banned
Quote:
Just did a bit of reading myself, and it appears that "any vehicle that came standard with an airbag, it is illegal to remove it". But, it appears that it's no more illegal then tinting your windows to dark, or your tail lights to dark. And IF a cop decides to ticket you, it's a minor fine.

UNLESS ofcourse, you live in Cali....Where it's illegal to fart upwind.
So I was right. Seems kinda stupid to remove a safety device on a non race vehicle. An aftermarket wheel won't help your truck handle better anyway.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #13
All go, No show

Quote:
So I was right. Seems kinda stupid to remove a safety device on a non race vehicle. An aftermarket wheel won't help your truck handle better anyway.
Has nothing to do with handling better. It's for the enjoyability of driving it; weather it be for looks, user preference, or handling.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #14
Banned
Quote:
Has nothing to do with handling better. It's for the enjoyability of of driving it; weather it be for looks, user preference, or handling.
Oh ok. Still dumb. Mod something else.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #15
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
http://image.minitruckinweb.com/f/91..._dashboard.jpg
Old 06-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #18
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeah i know....

my thoughts exactly.

but might look better plasti-dipped.