Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

GENERAL OFFROAD's build

Old 11-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #41
Sabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: FN
Name: Kyle
Sabre's Tacoma Gallery
damn!!! lots of good stuff there

just noticed you had a aero turbine muffler
how you like it and the sound i was thinking bout getting one?
Old 11-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #42
GENERAL OFFROAD will become famous soon enoughGENERAL OFFROAD will become famous soon enough

Name: Eric
GENERAL OFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre View Post
damn!!! lots of good stuff there
Thanks man..just really hope I have time to install it this upcoming week..If i don't do it this week it could be awhile and it would be a shame to let these parts sit haha

aero 2525 isn't bad..got it for a really good deal so I guess I can't complain, however sometimes I feel like its a bit too loud but that's just me getting old I think hehe
Old 11-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #43
htowntaco23 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matthew
htowntaco23's Tacoma Gallery
If you had a chance would you change your grill surround to black instead of chrome?
Old 11-19-2011, 08:26 PM   #44
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERAL OFFROAD View Post

other items I have that I'll be installing are:
-Dif Drop (will be setting the foxes at 3in/maybe more)
-Got a new head unit as im setting up a custom camera system to watch the vitals under the truck when wheeling/driving
Diff drops are useless on 2nd gens, they do barely anything to solve cv angles

search on here and you will see that quite a few members don't like them
Old 11-20-2011, 04:30 AM   #45
GENERAL OFFROAD will become famous soon enoughGENERAL OFFROAD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNothing321 View Post
Diff drops are useless on 2nd gens, they do barely anything to solve cv angles

search on here and you will see that quite a few members don't like them
"barely" is better then nothing..also I'm fully aware as I am on this forum a lot, just not a huge poster. Thanks anyway tho. Keep in mind I'm already lifted at 2.5 w/ billies and by looking at the current cv angles I kinda figure .5 inches won't make that big of a difference as they already look good to me. I guess I'll just be another testimony to them not working but I figured I'd get them anyway to have my own opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by htowntaco23 View Post
If you had a chance would you change your grill surround to black instead of chrome?
I'll be panting it when I paint my fenders..in doing it all myself so it's worth the wait..just haven't decided whether to color match or do a matte black top w/ a bedliner bottom..decisions decisions
Old 11-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #46

Fox 2.5 C/O Install

Front installed but still isn't completed as I'm waiting on a spanner wrench, then to the dealer for the alignment..for now the positive camber is awesome when cornering

Didn't take to many pictures but the install was fairly simple except for the stuck parts and getting the bolt out of the UCA was kinda tricky (looked at this thread before I did it to get an idea of how it would go [http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...-install.html] thanks 06taco and chris4x4). The install took about 3hrs on one side and 1 on the other after getting it down.

Now for the pics:
putting the UCAs together:
when they came in the threaded hole for the zerks were a bit rough so I carefully smoothed them down with a dremel.
3/4 came like this:

smoothed down:

put together:

old suspension: 5100s you were good to me but I'm probably not going to miss you.

Pulled out Billies and UCA(have to slightly bend pinch weld to get the bolt out), then install C/O

Then put in new UCA, replace the bolt the opposite way you pulled it out (much easier!)

and final product for now.

I should be getting the alignment soon after it's lifted..I'll report back with the alignment specs and will see if I have to compromise on height to get a little more positive camber without wearing out the joints.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #47
screename has a spectacular aura aboutscreename has a spectacular aura about
Name: Van
screename's Tacoma Gallery
WOWWWWWW, when did you get the foxs man???? Looking good bro!
Old 11-27-2011, 07:24 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by screename View Post
WOWWWWWW, when did you get the foxs man???? Looking good bro!
Thanks, they came in 2 weeks ago and installed them last sunday..still sitting at stock height in the front without a spanner wrench tho. It should be here on Tuesday.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:51 AM   #49
Xbox GT: Yodaman8806
Underdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Ground Support Shop Foreman/HAZMAT NCO, 1916 SPT BTN, 699th Maintenance Co.
Name: Matt
Underdog777's Tacoma Gallery
Just got done reading start to finish. Very sweet build man. I'll be lurking this for a good while. Keep us posted
Old 11-28-2011, 06:45 AM   #50
upcountry is on a distinguished road
upcountry's Tacoma Gallery
Nice setup. I have been following the build up. Thanks for updating the page.

One suggestion regarding the UCA-to-frame retainer bolt:

You may have noticed that the bolt is in place at an angle that leans downward towards the back of the truck. You may also note that the nut is not a locking nut. When the bolt was facing with the nut at the back of the assembly if the nut somehow worked its way loose gravity would keep the bolt in place due to the angle. With the bolt turned backwards (I did the same on my Light Racing UCAs), if the nut somehow vibrates its way off the end the bolt will work its way out due to the angle.

Call me paranoid, but I suggest either tapping a hole in the bolt just past the nut and adding a cotter pin, or get a Grade 8 Nylock nut. I went to Tacoma Bolt and Nut and got a Grade 8 Nylock nut to ensure the nut wont come loose (but I have my kids in the truck so am probably more paranoid than the average).

If that bolt came out it would catostrophic.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:49 AM   #51
upcountry is on a distinguished road
upcountry's Tacoma Gallery
Since I am also considering this same setup (but with my Light Racing UCAs), after you get your alignment can you report Camber and Caster? Curious if the Built Right addresses the Caster issue at full lift (I have full 3" lift on mine and caster was WAY off - kind of had a mind of it's own driving down the road).
Old 11-28-2011, 06:54 AM   #52
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good.
When are you going LT?
Old 11-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #53
screename has a spectacular aura aboutscreename has a spectacular aura about
Name: Van
screename's Tacoma Gallery
Waiting for alignment results.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog777 View Post
Just got done reading start to finish. Very sweet build man. I'll be lurking this for a good while. Keep us posted
Thanks guys..will be updating for sure..I already have my part of my camera security system done that views the driveshaft rear and front suspension so I'll be adding all the interior mods to the page hopefully over the upcoming holidays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upcountry View Post
Nice setup. I have been following the build up. Thanks for updating the page.

One suggestion regarding the UCA-to-frame retainer bolt:

You may have noticed that the bolt is in place at an angle that leans downward towards the back of the truck. You may also note that the nut is not a locking nut. When the bolt was facing with the nut at the back of the assembly if the nut somehow worked its way loose gravity would keep the bolt in place due to the angle. With the bolt turned backwards (I did the same on my Light Racing UCAs), if the nut somehow vibrates its way off the end the bolt will work its way out due to the angle.

Call me paranoid, but I suggest either tapping a hole in the bolt just past the nut and adding a cotter pin, or get a Grade 8 Nylock nut. I went to Tacoma Bolt and Nut and got a Grade 8 Nylock nut to ensure the nut wont come loose (but I have my kids in the truck so am probably more paranoid than the average).

If that bolt came out it would catostrophic.
Yep. what you say is true..I have been considering flipping the bolt around or doing similar to what you have suggested..for now i just check on it and make sure it is at the proper torque.. One of the reasons i flipped it is bc it seemed logical in silver taco's post w/ chris4x4..also I can see how it would really be a pain to get it back in and didn't feel like cussing or getting anymore knuckle busters..It looks like I'll be getting more practice at taking apart the suspension soon haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by upcountry View Post
Since I am also considering this same setup (but with my Light Racing UCAs), after you get your alignment can you report Camber and Caster? Curious if the Built Right addresses the Caster issue at full lift (I have full 3" lift on mine and caster was WAY off - kind of had a mind of it's own driving down the road).
My spanner should be here tomorrow..By thursday I will have it lifted to 3in and then next week sometime will get the alignment done at toyota. I will be sure to post my info and be ready to write a review on these UCA..so far no complaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04LTtacoma View Post
Looking good.
When are you going LT?
Thinking at some point i want to build my own LCA with dual shock mounts or at least add to the stock one. I would still like to gusset the front suspension in the near future but I'm going to wait until we finish a welding pad/area next to the shop..I'd prefer the welding stays separated from the rest of the shop but its going to be awhile to get it planned out and set up right. If I do ever go with an LT kit I would for sure get the total chaos 2" (FJ) kit but that would mean new UCAs also and I already have the BRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by screename View Post
Waiting for alignment results.
Waiting on my spanner wrench haha..meet and greet soon bro! we need to get one planned
Old 12-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #55
TacM31 has much to be proud ofTacM31 has much to be proud ofTacM31 has much to be proud ofTacM31 has much to be proud ofTacM31 has much to be proud ofTacM31 has much to be proud ofTacM31 has much to be proud ofTacM31 has much to be proud ofTacM31 has much to be proud of

Name: Tyler
TacM31's Tacoma Gallery
Your truck is looking awesome man. Love the new suspension! I'm so jealous! It makes me want the Icon coilovers for mine. I need to come check out this truck sometime!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:16 PM   #56

Update

Its been awhile but i think im ready to update this..
Finally got my spanner in and adjusted the coil overs. At first I adjusted them too high and went into severe alignment issues as the alignment from the previous lift w/o the aftermarket UCA was off even further then what it needed to be with the proper arms. Got it aligned on a Hunter alignment machine and it rode fine but was still too tall. I want to say I was at 3.5 inches haha..brought it back down till it was just enough to clear 285s without rubbing..I will post the height from ground to fender but that will be useless as most ppl don't have fiberglass (i guess subtract 2.5inches?)..I will post my alignment results even though it was too tall the alignment guy still didn't have a problem..Very pleased with the BR UCAS, of course i need to get it realigned since i dropped it but im going to wait till I have a bumper as I'll have to readjust the coil overs with the added weight.

Also switched to 16's instead of doing a street and offroad set, got away from the blacked out look as well..Im going for a black and aluminum color combination once I finish the bumper

I also added to my tire rack, still needs some work and paint but it's sturdy and I'm happy with it..after I work out a few kinks I'll post up the specs so others can build their own as well.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #57
Petrol head
RenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sloan
RenoTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome build, how do those 5100s compare to the new fox setup?
Old 12-29-2011, 10:03 PM   #58
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Build, good job man!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacM31 View Post
Your truck is looking awesome man. Love the new suspension! I'm so jealous! It makes me want the Icon coilovers for mine. I need to come check out this truck sometime!
Thanks man...you should go for a ride in it sometime haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoTacoma View Post
Awesome build, how do those 5100s compare to the new fox setup?
I drove on the 5100s for about a year and I have to say those were some good shocks for the price..Had a decent lift and rode nicely. The foxes just give me more confidence. haha. In all honesty they ride great, flex more then the billies at 2.5 but I have yet to really give them a run for the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalMan22 View Post
Nice Build, good job man!
Thanks man. It's missing some pieces but it'll get there eventually haha
Old 12-30-2011, 04:33 AM   #60
meantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andres
meantaco's Tacoma Gallery
More pictures of your wheels!