Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Colinb17's kinda sorta build thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #1341
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNothing321 View Post
can you say trail cameras

i'll be able to spot myself now.

3 waterproof cameras
"-135 degree viewing angle macro lens with 'mirror' image
-9 IR LED'S night vision and excellent low lux performance
-Built-in distance scale lines with trapezoid electronic ruler function"

a 3 way AV selector to switch between the three cameras

and a 7'' monitor to mount to the dash
Old 04-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #1342
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
can you say trail cameras

i'll be able to spot myself now.

3 waterproof cameras
"-135 degree viewing angle macro lens with 'mirror' image
-9 IR LED'S night vision and excellent low lux performance
-Built-in distance scale lines with trapezoid electronic ruler function"

a 3 way AV selector to switch between the three cameras

and a 7'' monitor to mount to the dash
Where did you find that?
Old 04-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #1343
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i just ordered from amazon, but the cameras are technically back up cameras. the 3 way selector is for plugging multiple video games/dvds/etc into a tv, and the camera is just a generic 12v automotive display for an in-car dvd setup. you could probably find most of the stuff at best buy or radio shack.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #1344
Reeves is on a distinguished road

Army: 2/16
Reeves's Tacoma Gallery
That camera set up would be awesome! I will be following this for sure.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #1345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
That camera set up would be awesome! I will be following this for sure.
A friend of mine in Virginia has the same componentry. we hooked it all up back in February, so the proof of concept is there, he just hasn't gotten around to actually installing it in his truck yet. so i get to guinea pig that part of it.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #1347
Reeves is on a distinguished road

Army: 2/16
Reeves's Tacoma Gallery
It would be perfect for spotting myself and I already have holes drilled from the dealer for a tag. Where do you plan to mount the monitor?
Old 04-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #1348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
How are you planning on mounting the 3 way switch part?? Looks huge.

i'll have to play around with it a little when it comes in. maybe under the steering column, between the seat and center console, or in the center console itself. that's it it has to stay together. i'll take it apart to see if i can extend wires to the switch, and just have a nice remotely mounted switch, with the unit itself hidden somewhere.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #1349
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i'll have to play around with it a little when it comes in. maybe under the steering column, between the seat and center console, or in the center console itself. that's it it has to stay together. i'll take it apart to see if i can extend wires to the switch, and just have a nice remotely mounted switch, with the unit itself hidden somewhere.
That would be a good idea.

Technically you only need one RCA connector. Might have been easier to just make it yourself with RCA connectors and a 3 way switch
Old 04-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #1350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
It would be perfect for spotting myself and I already have holes drilled from the dealer for a tag. Where do you plan to mount the monitor?
the monitor actually comes with a flush mount, to mount it in a similar fashion to what you would see with a double din stereo. i doubt i have anywhere to use that without some crazy fiberglass work, so i'll probably use the mount in the picture. may have room to stick the mount in the center of the dash, by my solar panels. potentially by the drivers side a-pillar too
Old 04-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #1351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
That would be a good idea.

Technically you only need one RCA connector. Might have been easier to just make it yourself with RCA connectors and a 3 way switch
and i may very well just end up doing that. figured for $7.50 though, that it was worth a shot to have something to toy around with.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #1353

ooh, i didn't think about hanging the monitor from the ceiling. more options

you going with the same camera placement?

i think i'll probably have one off the front, one off the back, and one under the truck. maybe play around and have 2 under the truck. definitely going to have to experiment.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #1354
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
ooh, i didn't think about hanging the monitor from the ceiling. more options

you going with the same camera placement?

i think i'll probably have one off the front, one off the back, and one under the truck. maybe play around and have 2 under the truck. definitely going to have to experiment.
Yea I'm going for the rear for sure on my bed rack. Want to make a canvas kinda cover for it so ill need it for sure.

Never considered others..but I like the idea..

I'd do one to try and show both rears..so maybe off the tcase skid.

Front would be tricky I think...maybe off a slider sorta??? Or roof rack..so many options

I like off the belly skid tho. Could mount them on the upper edges to keep them protected. One facing back and one on each side facing forward maybe?
Old 04-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #1355

my front one/s will be on the bumper somewhere. i'll make cages for any of the cameras i feel are exposed and at risk of impact.

i'd be careful mounting to the transfer case skid or anything that low. if you tuck it up against the inner side of the frame, you have a lot more protection. and with the IR cameras, lack of light won't be an issue.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #1356
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
my front one/s will be on the bumper somewhere. i'll make cages for any of the cameras i feel are exposed and at risk of impact.

i'd be careful mounting to the transfer case skid or anything that low. if you tuck it up against the inner side of the frame, you have a lot more protection. and with the IR cameras, lack of light won't be an issue.
Very true.

And off the bumper? Pointed where??
Old 04-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #1357

either faced in the general forward direction, to see what's coming, or one faced directly at each front tire to see exactly what is happening.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #1359

if 3 doesn't end up working out, i'll just get a 4th camera and have a camera looking at each tire.

Products Discussed in this Thread