1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Colinb17's kinda sorta build thread

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by colinb17, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Jul 19, 2013 at 7:05 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 [OP] If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    shoot, you should have beeped on the way in. i'm in the apartment right behind where my truck was parked. i would have heard it, and i know that taco horn anywhere ;)

2. Jul 19, 2013 at 7:16 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    I'm surprised you didn't hear me rumblin through the parking lot or tearing up the pavement lol. There was some creepy Asian dude outside so I didn't hang around too long.

3. Jul 19, 2013 at 7:27 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    burnouts up in the hawethorn!

4. Jul 19, 2013 at 2:45 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Carefull - Colin may try to swipe your grill... You are both SWB... :cool:

5. Jul 19, 2013 at 3:02 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    i know it's not a Craig special :(, but mine has my own blood and sweat in it (no tears, because we aren't pussies). plus, i have a '79 Truck emblem on mine :drevil: :D

What's new Craig? you hitting up rausch at all this summer?

6. Jul 20, 2013 at 4:31 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    Nice. I love my cordless impact. definitely my favorite tool for working on the truck.

If you take 80 east through Indiana you should check out The Cliffs Offroad Park. I saw a sign for it on the way back from Moab.

http://www.thecliffsinsaneterrain.com

7. Jul 22, 2013 at 9:32 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    if my travels take me out that way, i'll definitely check it out.

8. Jul 22, 2013 at 9:43 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    Got to go to one of the local wheeling spots near where i am temporarily located in Kansas City. about an hour and a half south is Kansas Rocks Recreation Park.

went for their 10 year anniversary celebration this past weekend. great event, with almost 300 vehicles, from stock jeeps to full blown sponsored, competition crawlers. although I was only about to meet one TW member there due a wreck on the highway that kept some others from making it, i got to meet a lot of new people, which is always the best side-affect of wheeling.

anyways, great park. terrain wise, it was essentially a smaller version of rausch creek, PA and the cove, VA. almost the same latitude on the map though, so i gues it makes sense.

unfortunately i was only able to snap three pictures, but i'm hoping to go back this weekend.

this was part of their man made competition course. i opted for the easier line on the left, between the middle and left hand larger boulders.

[​IMG]

one of the green trails. we hung out mostly on the blues and blacks, but it's a lot easier to take pictures while you're driving on an easy trail :eek:

[​IMG]

and playtime on the RTI ramp. look for this to get better sooner than later :cool:

[​IMG]

9. Jul 23, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    Anyone have a preferred brand of come-along/cable puller? not a fan of using the hi-lift as one, and my 1.5 ton is in florida. really could have used one this past weekend, but was lucky enough to just get by without. rather not go solo without one again.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  10. Jul 23, 2013 at 12:21 PM
    kriskross

kriskross Shits & Giggles

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Monterey
    Vehicle:
    Former 2ndGen Owner, in the market for another
    See Build Thread
    Your Ocala vids are set to private :(

11. Jul 23, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    well that's odd, they didn't used to be. i'll see what i can do.

Edit: i can view youtube, but am having trouble logging in on my work computer. i'll have to do it at home this evening.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  12. Jul 23, 2013 at 1:12 PM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    Would that be for recovery from the rear? Otherwise I would think you would use your winch.

13. Jul 23, 2013 at 1:27 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    right hand slope, tilting me into a tree. only a couple of inches clearance between the tree and my rear passenger window. leaned over so far that the sliders were not going to be the first thing to contact the tree. rear divers side tire (the uphill tire) was on the peak of a rock. both forward and revers had me slipping closer to the tree. the best solution would have been to at least anchor me to a tree on the drivers side, if not actually pull me that way. to pull myself sideways without and forward or back motion, i would have needed a second snatch block. so i think i'll be picking up another, but it would also be nice to have the come-along, since sometimes you need the winch to pull forward, while you also have something else pulling sideways.

edit: ended up making it out clean with some very precise rock placement, but with how saturated the soil was that i stacked on, the rocks could have very well slipped right out and cost me a window.

14. Jul 23, 2013 at 1:37 PM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    Right on, I figured as much. Always enjoy reading you thread cause I learn more and more each time.

15. Jul 23, 2013 at 1:49 PM
    NC15TRD

NC15TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    16 Sierra SLT All Terrain
    Readylift, Truxedo, Husky Liners, Carven
    Are j00 running wheel spacers?

16. Jul 23, 2013 at 1:51 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    :) :thumbsup:

si senor!

spidertrax. had them on for about 4 years.

17. Jul 23, 2013 at 1:55 PM
    NC15TRD

NC15TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    16 Sierra SLT All Terrain
    Readylift, Truxedo, Husky Liners, Carven
    Thank you sir! Want to up to 285s and am thinking about spacers instead of new wheels.

18. Jul 23, 2013 at 2:09 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    it's a lot cheaper, and they are a great product.

Toyota alloy wheels (especially the sport wheels that are a little wider), hold a bead like no other. i've run tires all of the way down to 4-6 psi in deep deep snow, with no problems popping a bead off. they are also very strong wheels sompared to a number of aftermarket options.

so with that in mind, the reasons you would want to get aftermarket wheels over just using a spacer are: you need a wider or narrower rim to properly fet the tire you're running, you want a different diamiter, you want a simulated bead lock to help guard valve stems, you want actual bead locks, or you're just looking to add some style.

so my opinion is that if you just need the extra backspacing to clear the UCA, spidertrax are a cost efficient, and very effective way to go.

19. Jul 23, 2013 at 3:54 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I just did it for the pretty factor. :anonymous:

20. Jul 23, 2013 at 4:07 PM
    uscg2008

uscg2008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    coby
    San Diego, CA originally from Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 trd sr5 four door 4x4
    CLICK ON SIGNATURE>>>>
    He colin where did you get the hardware to fill the holes from your fender flares? I plan on ditching mine too here soon once I get a new hybrid bumper and just rock guard lining where the flares used to be and down the side of the cab

Products Discussed in

To Top