1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Paps Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by pAP, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Jul 6, 2011 at 5:38 PM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    ARB locker and OBA, All Pro front & rear bumper, All Pro IFS skid & modified t-case skid, Custom Trans Skid., 4x Innovations sliders, Custom tire carrier/bed bars, Warn Winch, Fox 2.5" Front coilover, Walker Evans 2.5" rear Shock, All pro Leaf, All Pro U-bolt flip, Baja Designs lights, PIA 510 lights, TRD exhaust cut back, Doug Thorley Pipe Bomb
    My '11 DCSB build write-up. I started off with an '09 DCLB and in July of '11 I bought a '11 DCSB and transplanted all the parts. Some of the pics in this first post are for the 09 DCLB but the same stuff, except the sliders, went over to my '11 SB. Here are the comparison pictures. The transplant took about a week to do.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mod List
    Suspension:
    FOX 2.5" Coilovers Extended Travel and Resi
    LR UCA's
    Front Limit Straps
    All-Pro Leaf pack
    WE 2.5" Socks
    U-Bolt Flip Kit

Protection:
    4x Innovations Sliders
    All-Pro IFS Skid
    Pap's Custom Transmission Skid
    Modified All Pro Transfer case skid
    BozTec Rear Diff Skid
    All-Pro Front Plate Bumper
    All-Pro Rear Plate Bumper with Tow
    ATO Fuel Tank Skid
    BAMF LCA Skids

Electronics:
    ARB CKMA12 Compressor/on Board Air
    Midland 75-822 CB and Firestik NGP Antenna
    Baja Design Soltek 8" lights
    PIA 510 Fog Lights

Tires and Wheels:
    Fuel Hostage Wheels 17x9
    Duratacs 285/70/17
    Interco 255/85/16 Spare

Recovery Gear:
    Warn 8000 winch with Synthetic Line
    ARB Straps, Save a Tree, Chains, Hooks

Driveline:
    ARB Locker

Performance: (if you call it that)
    DT Pipe bomb
    TRD exhaust cut off at axle

Other:
    Pap's custom Tire Carrier and Bed Bars

I bought my DCLB truck new back in April of ’09. Within 500 miles it had OME 884 and spacers up front and add a leaf in back. Spidetrax spacers and 285x70x17 Nitto TG also went with the lift. I also installed LR UCAs to get he alignment within spec. I drove and wheeled like this for almost two years before I got mod bugs in my pants. My baby prevented most mods over those two years. This was how it looked prior to all the new fun mods this year.
    [​IMG]

February 2011- I put a order in at All-Pro for front bumper, rear bumper, IFS Skid, transmission Skid, T-caser Guard Warn Winch, Standard Leaf pack, Walker Evans 2.5” body coilover and rear shocks, U-Bolt flip and PIA 510 fog lights. I also ordered Baja design offroad lights for the light hoop. Stuff started trickling in.

I ended up replacing the front WE's with FOX 2.5" reservoirs. Got them from All Pro so, they were standard travel. I extended the travel. check the how too HERE
    [​IMG]

I utilized the stock fog switch for the Pias and mounted the supplied toggle for the offroad lights. I ran new wires and relays for both sets of lights.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My buddy up New Hampshire has a powder coating shop so that’s where I powder coated the bumpers. We tried to match the color of the grill as much as possible (gun metal gray). I think it turned out well. Heres the goof showing off.

[​IMG]

I extended the solenoid wires of the Winch to reach the engine compartment, made a bracket and mounted it here.
    [​IMG]

The rig after the bumpers winch and lights were installed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

March 2011 – I gave Adam a call at 4x Innovations for some sliders. I measured the truck and we came up with a set of sliders that were 99” long for my DCLB. He had the sliders over to me within 3 weeks of ordering them. The kit came with 5 outrigger supports, 5 gussets, and 5 predrilled plates for each slider. I clamped the the plates to the frame, marked the centers and drilled holes for the each plate totaling 40 holes. Not such a bad job if you have an angle drill and a stepped bit. Then I bolted the plates to the frame, temped up the slider, cut all the outriggers to fit and tacked everything in place. I took them down and did all the finish welds on the ground. I hung them up in the garage and put a coat of POR-15 then sprayed 3 coats of single stage SW automotive paint over the top while the POR-15 still had tack. Here they are.
    [​IMG]

In March I also ordered Fuel Hostage 17X9 with 5”BS and also got me some Good Year Duratracs 285x70x17. A little more trimming involved as these are bigger in diameter than the TG’s.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

May 2011 – Time for the air locker! I called up East Coast and ordered a third member with the ARB locker and also got the compressor. Got all the stuff within a week. I mounted the compressor in the engine bay.
    [​IMG]

Put the switches the ARB switches under AC controls and wired it back the engine compartment.
    [​IMG]

Took the tires off, drained the diff fluid, disconnected the brake lines and abs, unbolted the 4 axle bolts and pulled the axles out. They are fine to rest with out support as they wont rest on the seal.
    [​IMG]

Took the 4 bolts off the driveshaft connecting to the third member and x amount of bolts off the third member. Pulled the third member out (by myself), put the new gasket in and bolted the locked third back in place.
    [​IMG]

Hooked up the air line and I was in business! Locked rear and on board air! I also wrapped the blue line with fuel line for protection near the diff and at the engine compartment.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then decided to ditch the All-Pro Trans protector and t-case gurd. All-Pro was discounting a T-case Skid so I bought that. I also ended up designing and building a custom Flat belly Transmission skid.
    [​IMG]

I ditched the stock Y-pipe and installed the DT Pipe bomb which eliminate that exhaust drop. Was time to delete the belly bump (stock exhaust drop) and welded a flat plate in place so now I have a smooth bottom. I also redesigned the transmission skid so that its wider to cover more cross member.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Heres a link on how to make and install it. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...mission-flat-belly-skid-all-pro-ifs-skid.html

I cut off the TRD exhaust tip and dumped over the axle. It ended up resonating too much in the cab so I extended it and directed it out the back of the truck. Much quitter but still has a ton of growl!!!
    [​IMG]

Thanks to this forum and the how too, I also did the rear diff breather mod.
    This is the extension of the breather mod at the diff.

[​IMG]
    This is the breather valve routed up to the gas cap area.

[​IMG]

I drew up a custom tire carrier/bed bars. Kind of a recycled idea from other people who built these.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I decided to take the project on myself and build the carrier/bed bars. Was a lot of fun!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here are the Fourtreks hi lift mounts I used to attach to the bed bars.
    [​IMG]

After getting too much top out with the shocks when wheeling, I decided to install Limit Straps. I ordered the adj clevis mount and welded on barrel to standoff to a reinforcing plate which was welded to the frame in front of the coil over. This should stop the slapping.
    [​IMG]

CB Hook-Up. Midland 75-822 CB and 4' NGP Firestik antenna.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I picked up a set of BAMF LCA skids on Jerry's group buy. I bought these for the cam protection more than anything. The 1/4" steel should fare well on the cam protection... we shall see. Painted silver to match. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Whew... thats it for now.

2. Jul 6, 2011 at 5:50 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    looks good man :thumbsup: wheels are a good match

3. Jul 6, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Very cool!

4. Jul 6, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    uscg2008

uscg2008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    coby
    San Diego, CA originally from Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 trd sr5 four door 4x4
    CLICK ON SIGNATURE>>>>
    liking the truck. especially the wheel and tire combo.

5. Jul 6, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    ARB locker and OBA, All Pro front & rear bumper, All Pro IFS skid & modified t-case skid, Custom Trans Skid., 4x Innovations sliders, Custom tire carrier/bed bars, Warn Winch, Fox 2.5" Front coilover, Walker Evans 2.5" rear Shock, All pro Leaf, All Pro U-bolt flip, Baja Designs lights, PIA 510 lights, TRD exhaust cut back, Doug Thorley Pipe Bomb
    Thanks so much for the compliments. Wheeling pics to come.

6. Jul 6, 2011 at 6:13 PM
    Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Tampa, Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Looks great dude...loving those wheels!

Out of curiousity...whys the username pap?

edit: paps is my nickname because of my last name.

7. Jul 6, 2011 at 6:14 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Look forward to seeing this one in person.... :bowdown:
    Nice Build Thread!:cool:

8. Jul 6, 2011 at 6:15 PM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    Awesome truck man:thumbsup:

I like the skid plates, did you lower down the T-case skid or reroute the exhaust and cut out the lower hanging metal?!

9. Jul 6, 2011 at 6:27 PM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    Thanks. The wheels were a crap shoot. I really dig them too. Its always hard to select from a pictures without seeing them on your truck.

Yes, my last name starts with Pap. :)

10. Jul 6, 2011 at 6:32 PM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    Tanx. Look forward to meeting you as well. Hopefully soon at RC or Wharton. :cool:

theduck911,
    Thank you too. :D I rerouted the exhaust with the DT Pipe bomb y-pipe then cut off the box out and welded a flat plate in its place. The skid remained at the same height.

11. Jul 6, 2011 at 6:43 PM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    Nice, I really should get a reroute or Y-Pipe, so I can gain some clearance!

12. Jul 6, 2011 at 6:51 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    I used to think my longbed would look silly with armor front and rear until I saw yours

13. Jul 6, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    theduck911,
    Do it! The existing exhaust drop subtracts about 4" of clearance. The new Y-pipe adds a nice growl to the exhaust as well. I love the way the truck sounds doubled up with the TRD exhaust.

Y-Pipe Install note: good luck taking the bolts off the flanges. Be prepared to snap studs and strip bolts. No matter how much heat I gave the flange, I still ended up breaking studs and stripping bolts. Had to drill out one stud, tapping one hole and cleaning up the threads on a bolt. Easy job turned PIA.:mad:

mgrande,
    IMO The long beds need plate bumpers. They add visual lift. ;)

14. Jul 6, 2011 at 8:11 PM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    I ended up ordering the Gas tank skid from Kevin at ATO. Started to design it myself but ran out of time. So, I will update with some pics as soon as that comes in. Kevin is a supper nice dude to deal with. Takes his time with you and is very thorough.

15. Jul 6, 2011 at 8:24 PM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    I would like to add my vendor review. I really have had ZERO problems with customer service for all who I dealt with. So, this will sound like kissing ass more than anything. :rolleyes:

All-Pro - Jason has been nothing but great. He was very patient with me and all my questions. Everything I ordered was shipped the day it was available to me. They had a problem with sending out wrong bolt packages for the kits but Jason responded with overnighting me the correct bolts. I would do business over and over again with them.

4x Innovations - Adam provides a real custom product if needed at a real affordable rate. Hes got a quick turnaround and answered all my questions.

East Coast Gear Supply - Very nice people that know their game and deliver faster than expected. I forget the guy I talked with but he answered all my product questions and even install questions.

URD - Gadget was pleasant to speak with when ordering my Y-pipe. He had it to me within 2 days of ordering.

Thats it for now

16. Jul 9, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    I had a little rub with the body mounts so I chopped them a bit. Very simple job with angle grinder fit with cut off blade.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1310234887.563263.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1310234917.926096.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1310234958.270141.jpg

17. Jul 9, 2011 at 11:18 AM
    Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Tampa, Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Very true, well good choice forsure man. Body chops look good too dude.

Does the name happen to end in pas? For Pappas?

18. Jul 10, 2011 at 5:52 PM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    My last name ends in a vowel (Italian). People always think it's Greek though.

19. Jul 20, 2011 at 7:44 PM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    edited

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311216225.303668.jpg

20. Jul 22, 2011 at 9:33 PM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    I ended up buying a new SR5 model with towing and extra value package to replace the DCLB. Heres the new rig before pictures.... 38 miles on her.
    [​IMG]

Swap process between trucks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top