1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Derecho's Grey Ghost Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Derecho, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Jul 28, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    Derecho

Derecho [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thomaston, ME
    Vehicle:
    11 Magnetic Grey Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    Access Tonneau Cover Cobra 29 WXNWST Wilson Lil' Wil COMING SOON... Custom Designed Bedrack
    WELCOME

Figured I'd start my own build thread as the customization start to add up on my 2011 Access Cab SR5 V6 Tacoma.

One of the main requirements of my truck as with most of you is to get me and my stuff around. I own a 17' sea kayak, so throwing it in the bed of my truck and heading down the road isn't a feasible proposition. Along with using my kayak, I do my fair share of camping, hiking, biking and skiing. Living in the Northeast, I want to keep my gear out of the rain and snow whenever possible. With these two requirements, I knew I needed a tonneau cover and and bed rack. Problem being there isn't an aftermarket tonneau/rack combo that can be mounted on an Access Cab Tacoma at the same time.

I've had no issues with Access Brand's Roll Up Tonneau w/ over 9 years mounted on my father's Tundra, so I went with their product. At the same time I started brainstorming and designing a custom rack that could mount to the bed using the existing mounting holes for the tonneau cover and stock track system.

Design Needs:
    -Mount using existing equipment mounted to bed.
    -Rack can breakdown for easy storage in apartment
    -Carry at least 500 lbs
    -Built to angles of the cab for aesthetics sake
    -Rack can be raised an extra 2 inches from normal operational height for added clearance at the cab end for carrying a canoe
    -Detachable extender for carrying lumber and the like

Final design was taken to Chris w/ Sticky Fab in Weare, NH. He was able to work w/ the concept I gave him and the product looks and works perfectly. PM me for Chris' contact info.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I added a Cobra 29 WXNWST w/ a Wilson Lil Wil' antenna. To power this I decided to add a secondary fuse box (used H2Otx's mod).
    I wired some LED's for under the hood and ran the wire to add LED's to the bed under the tonneau cover which are control in the cab on two rocker switches

[​IMG]

I wired some LED's for under the hood and ran the wire to add LED's to the bed under the tonneau cover which are controlled from two rocker switches in the dash.

[​IMG]

Completed
    -Access Tonneau Cover
    -WeatherTech Front Floor Mats
    -Cobra 29 WXNWST
    -Wilson Lil' Wil Antenna
    -Custom Built Bed Rack (ask for details)
    -Secondary Fuse Box w/ Lexan Platform
    *Blue Sea Systems Fuse Block (PN 5028)
    *Blue Sea Systems 100 AMP Breaker (PN 7144)
    -(2)Cole Hersee Co. Rocker Switch w/ pilot light (56327-01BP)
    -(2) LED strips for engine bay - cool white
    -(2) LED strips for bed liner - cool white

So what is up next...
    -Rear TSB (parts on order)
    -4x4 LED switch mod
    -Investigate adding a small lift and some decent size wheels and rubber.

2. Jul 30, 2011 at 2:59 PM
    808Taco

808Taco Member

Member:
    Big Island Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 silver sr5 sport
    6"fabtech suspension lift, no blocks, atlas 5" leaf packs. 3" body, 20 x 12 weld Cheyenne wheels with 35x13.5 baja claws, king shocks/coilovers, cold air intake, switched dual batterys
    i like the rack concept, looks good too. i'm trying to design some type of rack i can easily take on and off of the bed, if you have any ideas. maybe using some type of quick diconnect pins or something. ?? any ideas anyone, would love to see pics of someone elses.

3. Jul 31, 2011 at 9:20 PM
    jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White DCSB TRD OR PreRunner
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Bed Cover, OEM Silver Step Bars, Debadged, Colormatched Satoshi, Wet Okoles, OEM Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Locking Gas Cap, and removed Mud Flaps
    Thats a really BA rack :D

4. Jul 31, 2011 at 9:41 PM
    Derecho

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thomaston, ME
    Vehicle:
    Access Tonneau Cover Cobra 29 WXNWST Wilson Lil' Wil COMING SOON... Custom Designed Bedrack
    Thanks guys. I'll take some pictures of the disassembled rack when I get out of work in the morning.

Here are a couple more pictures from a trail ride w/ Rob this weekend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rob decided he needed to put his rig up on the ledge outcropping.
    [​IMG]

Not eager to be outdone, I got up there for a photo.
    [​IMG]

5. Aug 25, 2011 at 7:36 AM
    Derecho

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thomaston, ME
    Vehicle:
    Just got the suspension TSB completed yesterday up at Rockingham Toyota. Wheeling in Merrimack planned for Saturday.

6. May 8, 2018 at 12:17 PM
    808Taco

808Taco Member

Member:
    Big Island Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 silver sr5 sport
    6"fabtech suspension lift, no blocks, atlas 5" leaf packs. 3" body, 20 x 12 weld Cheyenne wheels with 35x13.5 baja claws, king shocks/coilovers, cold air intake, switched dual batterys
    really like the led light addition to under hood and in the bed, will be adding a similar setup soon. thanks 4 idea

Products Discussed in

To Top