Notices

Derecho's Grey Ghost Build

Old 07-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
Derecho has a spectacular aura aboutDerecho has a spectacular aura about

Name: Chris
Derecho's Tacoma Gallery
Derecho's Grey Ghost Build

WELCOME

Figured I'd start my own build thread as the customization start to add up on my 2011 Access Cab SR5 V6 Tacoma.

One of the main requirements of my truck as with most of you is to get me and my stuff around. I own a 17' sea kayak, so throwing it in the bed of my truck and heading down the road isn't a feasible proposition. Along with using my kayak, I do my fair share of camping, hiking, biking and skiing. Living in the Northeast, I want to keep my gear out of the rain and snow whenever possible. With these two requirements, I knew I needed a tonneau cover and and bed rack. Problem being there isn't an aftermarket tonneau/rack combo that can be mounted on an Access Cab Tacoma at the same time.

I've had no issues with Access Brand's Roll Up Tonneau w/ over 9 years mounted on my father's Tundra, so I went with their product. At the same time I started brainstorming and designing a custom rack that could mount to the bed using the existing mounting holes for the tonneau cover and stock track system.

Design Needs:
-Mount using existing equipment mounted to bed.
-Rack can breakdown for easy storage in apartment
-Carry at least 500 lbs
-Built to angles of the cab for aesthetics sake
-Rack can be raised an extra 2 inches from normal operational height for added clearance at the cab end for carrying a canoe
-Detachable extender for carrying lumber and the like

Final design was taken to Chris w/ Sticky Fab in Weare, NH. He was able to work w/ the concept I gave him and the product looks and works perfectly. PM me for Chris' contact info.

I added a Cobra 29 WXNWST w/ a Wilson Lil Wil' antenna. To power this I decided to add a secondary fuse box (used H2Otx's mod).
I wired some LED's for under the hood and ran the wire to add LED's to the bed under the tonneau cover which are control in the cab on two rocker switches

I wired some LED's for under the hood and ran the wire to add LED's to the bed under the tonneau cover which are controlled from two rocker switches in the dash.

Completed
-Access Tonneau Cover
-WeatherTech Front Floor Mats
-Cobra 29 WXNWST
-Wilson Lil' Wil Antenna
-Custom Built Bed Rack (ask for details)
-Secondary Fuse Box w/ Lexan Platform
*Blue Sea Systems Fuse Block (PN 5028)
*Blue Sea Systems 100 AMP Breaker (PN 7144)
-(2)Cole Hersee Co. Rocker Switch w/ pilot light (56327-01BP)
-(2) LED strips for engine bay - cool white
-(2) LED strips for bed liner - cool white

So what is up next...
-Rear TSB (parts on order)
-4x4 LED switch mod
-Investigate adding a small lift and some decent size wheels and rubber.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
808Taco is on a distinguished road
808Taco's Tacoma Gallery
i like the rack concept, looks good too. i'm trying to design some type of rack i can easily take on and off of the bed, if you have any ideas. maybe using some type of quick diconnect pins or something. ?? any ideas anyone, would love to see pics of someone elses.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
Banned
jjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jesse
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
Thats a really BA rack
Old 07-31-2011, 09:41 PM   #4

Derecho's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. I'll take some pictures of the disassembled rack when I get out of work in the morning.

Here are a couple more pictures from a trail ride w/ Rob this weekend.

Rob decided he needed to put his rig up on the ledge outcropping.

Not eager to be outdone, I got up there for a photo.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:36 AM   #5

Derecho's Tacoma Gallery
Just got the suspension TSB completed yesterday up at Rockingham Toyota. Wheeling in Merrimack planned for Saturday.