Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica

Old 07-30-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
And now for something completely different....
Priddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica

---------------------------------------------

SPECS Aug 2nd, 2013

2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 SR5 (purchased on 09/06/2010)
6-speed
Desert Sand Mica
5100's @ 2.5
Toytec 1" FDD kit
Firestone Ride Rite airbags
18" XD Monsters w/ +18os
BF Goodrich All Terrain LT 285/65r18
1" wheel spacers
Rockford Fosgate 160.2 amp and 12" sub with on/off switch on dash (hard-anchored to cab)
OEM Running Boards
Tinted side windows
Vent visors
URD SS kit
JVC head unit (security protected)
Base-model grille w/ color-matched shell
Satoshi grille
Smoked headlights
Smoked fog lights
Black Plasti-Dip on rear bumper, front valance, and emblems
LR Upper Control Arms

-----------------------------------------

Many don't like the color but if you mod it correctly (or copy off of Coastie31 ), the color looks awesome.

The first thing to go on was Billies @2.5, Ride Rite airbags for rear, 18" XD Monsters w/ +18os, Grabber AT2 tires. See before and after photo.

More details to come...
Attached Thumbnails
Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_0249.jpg   Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_0251.jpg  
Old 08-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
Priddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
Late in 2010 I bought the GROM USB adapter for the factory stereo. The thought of having a pile of tunes on a USB stick versus an ipod sounded more feasible. I don't have pictures of the install but there should be a bunch out on the net of other installs.

I keep the end of the USB extension cord in the glove box. I may make a USB port in the dash somewhere but I'm on half a mind to get a aftermarket deck instead.

I can have up to 19 playlists (so it seems). I have had over 100 songs in one playlist. If you have song info in your MP3s, the titles will display on the factory deck.

The performance of the GROM sucks. Skipping back through tracks will almost always result in it freezing up. Shutting down the deck and turning it on again fixes it. Occasionally skipping forward does the same thing. To skip backwards, I have to skip back slowly. A painful process when trying to skip back 10+ tracks. I also find the volume is low on the GROM. There is no volume setting on the device.

The knob above the park brake is the volume control for the sub amp. I just screwed the bracket there with small screws and slid the volume control onto it.
Attached Thumbnails
Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_0091.jpg   Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_0092.jpg   Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_0093.jpg   Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_0094.jpg   Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_0095.jpg  

Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_0096.jpg  
Old 08-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
Time Traveler
MartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ROB
MartyMcfly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priddle View Post
Many don't like the color but if you mod it correctly (or copy off of Coastie31 ), the color looks awesome.

The first thing to go on was Billies @2.5, Ride Rite airbags for rear, 18" XD Monsters w/ +18os, Grabber AT2 tires. See before and after photo.

More details to come...

Nice.

The black rims definitely help out the Desert Sand Mica.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
Trying to do the same with mine. Going to powder coat rims, I like yours tho, maybe a future purchase. Im trying to copy C0astie31 too. How are the Grabbers doing you?
Old 09-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #5

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
I have the P-rated. Seems to be a better ride than the Load E tires I had on my previous 03 Tacoma. But because they are P-rated, they are more vulnerable to punctures. I had a little rock go through the thread back in December and punctured it. The rock was smaller than your pinky fingernail. I'd consider a different tire next time but a wider tire may not clear the UCAs given the offset rim I have.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith
DanglingFury's Tacoma Gallery
Golden turds FTMFW!!
Old 09-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #7

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
I finally have a great looking grille....color matched. NO MORE CHROME!

I also plasti-dipped the valance and grille emblem. I like it but not 100% convinced for some reason. I did notice on my father's Tundra that the valance is black too and his is stock. I thought that was interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_0315.jpg  
Old 09-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I've got a first gen, but painting the wheels black/charcoal took it from granpa's yoter to a beef taco. I rike it, I rike it arot.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #9

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanglingFury View Post
Golden turds FTMFW!!
WYLABOCTGWTR?

Blacking out the chrome is the only way to go with that color. I got my truck used from the dealer. Despite the color, it was too good a truck and deal to pass up. Its not my first choice but I like it.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #10
Creeper

Quote:
WYLABOCTGWTR?
As long as it's golden turd flavored
Old 09-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I finally have a great looking grille....color matched. NO MORE CHROME!

I also plasti-dipped the valance and grille emblem. I like it but not 100% convinced for some reason. I did notice on my father's Tundra that the valance is black too and his is stock. I thought that was interesting.
Looks good, Im doing the exact same thing, doing a black graphic over the bumber inset (below license), painting crome on grill DSM (what paint did you use?) prob going to get a mesh grill or something more custom. Thanks for the pictures, looks great

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanglingFury View Post
Golden turds FTMFW!!
RUMCYMHMD
Old 09-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #12
Creeper

These acronyms are getting a little out of control . . .
Old 09-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #13
Out fer a Rip eh Bud

Let's see more of priddle's taco
Old 09-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #14

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery

BTW, the grille was color-matched, Desert Sand Mica.
Attached Thumbnails
Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_0325.jpg   Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_0331.jpg   Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_0321.jpg   Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_0322.jpg  
Old 09-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #15
I <3 the mall
luk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to behold

Name: luke
luk3's Tacoma Gallery
sweet build!
Old 12-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #16
Out fer a Rip eh Bud

You havent had any problems from the po po with the front side window tint? I want to do it but jsut dont want the tickets that come with it. Tint shop said it was $100 to do. The laws in NL should be similar to BC? What % do you have?
Old 12-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #17

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
I have 35%. The law says no tint. I was pulled over once in my previous 03 Taco with the same tint but rolled the window down before he walked up. I forgot to put my plate stickers on. I have never been stopped for tint. The ricer crowd around here complain about the cops all the time requiring they remove the tint. So around here, the risk is fairly low if you ask me.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #18

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
I finally did the Satoshi grille, thin lip style. I got the mesh from Homertaco of course. You can see below the before picture. I used a drywall saw to cut the cross members out. I used a dremel to do the detail cutting using a cutting disk. I cut off 2.25" if I recall correctly on the bottom. I wish I only cut off 2" but I got it working nonetheless.

To attach it I used a bunch of pipe clamps cut into short strips. I buckled the middle to allow for a plastic tie to get through. I used 5 on top and 2 on the sides. I used 3 for each triangle, narrow clamps for the edge. I heated each clamp with a blowtorch one at a time and when it would get red hot, I let it cool for 2 seconds and place it on the back of the grille where the mesh overlaps. I press it in and it would melt the plastic whereby melted plastic would seep through the slits. I spread the melted plastic so when it solidified, it would make for a strong hold. Note the sides is just one layer of plastic so be careful not to melt through. The other locations don't matter as the painted surface is not the plastic you're melting into.

I then placed the mesh and used narrow zip ties to secure it in place. Note I drilled small holes on the bottom on the grille versus using the clamps just because it was less trouble. See the pics below.

As for the triangles, I used a drill and small drill bit to drill a dotted line through the edge of the triangle from the outside and then cut with the dremel from the inside. I sanded the edge with a sanding attachment for the dremel.

I taped the grille and plastidipped the thin lip versus painting.

The mesh seems solidly in place and my first highway run didn't blow it out.

I really like the thin lip style. I may leave it badgeless. It looks great the way it is. I just have to black out the rad. And may get smoked headlights next month.

Sorry for the upside down pics. Took those with the iPhone, sent to my Playbook and uploaded from there. Another example of Apple making non-Apple devices a pain to use. lol
Attached Thumbnails
Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-grille-before.jpg   Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-grille-cut.jpg   Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-pipe-clamp.jpg   Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-clamp-tied.jpg   Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-bottom-tied.jpg  

Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_00000026.jpg   Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_00000027.jpg   Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_00000028.jpg  
Old 07-22-2012, 09:46 AM   #19

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
Updated pics. Smoked OEM headlights and smoked fog lights are on the way....should get installed within a few weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_0919.jpg   Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_0920.jpg   Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_0921.jpg   Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_0922.jpg   Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_0923.jpg  

Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_0924.jpg   Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_0926.jpg   Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_0927.jpg   Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_0929.jpg   Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_0930.jpg  

Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_0933.jpg   Priddle's Build....pulling off Desert Sand Mica-img_0932.jpg  
Old 08-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #20
00PowderSpecial is on a distinguished road
Name: Chad
00PowderSpecial's Tacoma Gallery
Love the grill, next time I'm in the city I'll keep an eye out