Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Bringing AC to the Bed +/- Trailer?

Old 08-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
Ready to travel
Sharpie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSharpie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSharpie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSharpie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSharpie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSharpie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSharpie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSharpie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSharpie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSharpie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSharpie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet Corp
Sharpie's Tacoma Gallery
Bringing AC to the Bed +/- Trailer?

I need to figure out how to air condition the bed (camper shelled in) or my 6x10 cargo trailer so when I travel cross country, the dogs don't die of heat stroke since they sure as hell don't fit in the cab (access cab, 2 German Shepherds, me and my travel supplies = No Go). I've got the standard tow package with the 7 pin... maybe something I can do with wiring AC in there?

I'm looking for any advice or build suggestions you pros here might have. Bonus points if they contain nearly idiot proof instructions.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
It can be done but you will need a generator to run most ac units.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
jesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to behold

Name: jesus
jesus's Tacoma Gallery
do you have a plug in ...in the bed... if so jst by a small plug in and mount it..... or even a box fan ....anyhow just an idea that would be idiot proof instructions.... best of luck with this
Old 08-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
Ready to travel
Sharpie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSharpie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSharpie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSharpie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSharpie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSharpie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSharpie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSharpie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSharpie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSharpie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSharpie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sharpie's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, the bed does have the standard plug in it, no idea if it's got enough juice to actually run even a little portable ac unit though. I hear conflicting things on that front and am hesitant to go out and buy one if it's not going to work... maybe I need to start just plugging random things in to see what things run and what things don't.

I've been looking for AC units, but all I'm finding are permanent and expensive mount-ons for RVs.

Generator would be fine for when parked, but I don't think that strapping a running generator on the side of the trailer while driving down the highway would be a good plan.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFast View Post
It can be done but you will need a generator to run most ac units.
x2, I doubt you'll find a portable AC unit less than 10a 120v 1200w, would be best to run a generator at that point.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
Yeah, the bed does have the standard plug in it, no idea if it's got enough juice to actually run even a little portable ac unit though. I hear conflicting things on that front and am hesitant to go out and buy one if it's not going to work... maybe I need to start just plugging random things in to see what things run and what things don't.

I've been looking for AC units, but all I'm finding are permanent and expensive mount-ons for RVs.

Generator would be fine for when parked, but I don't think that strapping a running generator on the side of the trailer while driving down the highway would be a good plan.
What you should be looking for is a portable "spot-cooler". That should narrow your search down substantially.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half
WTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
WTtoolman's Tacoma Gallery
How about opening the rear slider window and using a small fan?
Old 08-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #8
Ready to travel

Sharpie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTtoolman View Post
How about opening the rear slider window and using a small fan?
I was thinking of that. I'd have to figure out how I wanted to seal the cab and the shell without any permanent damage since there's a ton of wind blowing between them on the HWY when I tried that without. Lots of ways to power a simple fan, fortunately.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #9
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I would try putting a bike inner tube or something similar between the cab and shell windows to seal it. Then open the shell windows slightly to create some air flow and just run the cab AC. That's the simplest way, then get complicated later if you need to.

It's important that you have actual airflow through the shell, otherwise carbon monoxide could be an issue since the bed isn't perfectly sealed.

There is a vent in the rear wall of the cab that allows air to leave the cab as the AC is pulling fresh air. Otherwise, you would have no air movement. Try to get the shell to have the same kind of arrangement somehow.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
TX is in a heat wave right now, a box fan will do nothing but move around heat. You would be better off opening the windows when cruising down the road. Thats what I did for my black labs. Also don't leave anything running long while you are stopped you might come back to a dead battery.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #11
TieDie
Tiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the rough

Tiedie's Tacoma Gallery
Sharpie try searching air coolers.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #12
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I was thinking of that. I'd have to figure out how I wanted to seal the cab and the shell without any permanent damage since there's a ton of wind blowing between them on the HWY when I tried that without. Lots of ways to power a simple fan, fortunately.
I have put a 29" bike inner tube between cab and shell. Easy to do if your whole shell front window hinges into shell like mine does. Run AC fan 1 speed higher than normal. Since tail gate doesn't seal you will get air flow through the shell. Put something down in bed (like carpet) so dogs don't slide all over the place.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:11 PM   #13
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
What size are your dogs?

Both of mine are about 70 lbs and ride in the back seat, with plenty of room. Stuff goes in the bed.

You can build a platform so the back area is flat, then the dogs can ride in the cab. You'd still have to worry about what to do with them when you stop.

I've done the cross country trip 4 times with them with no issues.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #14
Ready to travel

Sharpie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
What size are your dogs?

Both of mine are about 70 lbs and ride in the back seat, with plenty of room. Stuff goes in the bed.

You can build a platform so the back area is flat, then the dogs can ride in the cab. You'd still have to worry about what to do with them when you stop.

I've done the cross country trip 4 times with them with no issues.
Lol, No.

Access cab. There is no 'seat' just the fold downs with the retarded center hump. And my dogs do not ride calmly, not at all. Going somewhere is terribly exciting and they move and jump and try to play. There is no way I could drive safely with my 60lb hyperactive spaz girl and my 85lb doofy boy in the cab. They're 7 and 6 years old, I've tried for years to get them to be calm in the car... I've given up, it's just not gonna happen.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #15
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Quote:
Lol, No.

Access cab. There is no 'seat' just the fold downs with the retarded center hump. And my dogs do not ride calmly, not at all. Going somewhere is terribly exciting and they move and jump and try to play. There is no way I could drive safely with my 60lb hyperactive spaz girl and my 85lb doofy boy in the cab. They're 7 and 6 years old, I've tried for years to get them to be calm in the car... I've given up, it's just not gonna happen.
my girls usually sit up until we get moving, then they curl up and sleep until we stop again.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #16
Ready to travel

Sharpie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
my girls usually sit up until we get moving, then they curl up and sleep until we stop again.
That sounds like heaven. Mine whine and moan and jump on eachother and try to crawl between the seats, onto my lap, out the window. Ugh! They're the REASON I have a camper shell. I spent more than $1K just so that I wouldn't have to deal with them in the cab anymore. The things some people do for their pets.

I even got the specialty wire mesh pet screens for the shell windows so they wouldn't be able to destroy the bug screening.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #17
Gone But Not Forgotten

Air Force:
Quote:
That sounds like heaven. Mine whine and moan and jump on eachother and try to crawl between the seats, onto my lap, out the window. Ugh! They're the REASON I have a camper shell. I spent more than $1K just so that I wouldn't have to deal with them in the cab anymore. The things some people do for their pets.

I even got the specialty wire mesh pet screens for the shell windows so they wouldn't be able to destroy the bug screening.
Thankfully mine are really good travelers... At least Annie is.... I'll find out next year how good Zoie is
Old 08-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #18
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.swampy.net/hprices.html
Something like this maybe? Your'e 2nd gen, so you have the plug-in's in the bed?
Old 08-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #19
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
I have put a 29" bike inner tube between cab and shell. Easy to do if your whole shell front window hinges into shell like mine does. Run AC fan 1 speed higher than normal. Since tail gate doesn't seal you will get air flow through the shell. Put something down in bed (like carpet) so dogs don't slide all over the place.
If you want pics of what I did I could post them in a day or two
Old 08-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #20
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Propane powered ac unit like they use on campers???