Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Chad's Stormtrooper

Old 10-14-2011, 07:41 AM   #21
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinghSingh View Post
Can you share any details on how you painted the rims? Clean them thoroughly is the obvious first step. Any tips or tricks? How many coats and how have they held up so far?

Thanks
Yup make sure they are super clean, then I took a sheet of 1000 grit sandpaper and a bucket of water and went over all 4 of them really well. Then let them dry, and spray away. Just follow the instructions on the bottle, and practice on a piece of cardboard or something before you start on the wheels.

Good luck
Old 10-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #22
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Got my grillecraft installed today. Here is a little step by step.

Remove your grill and get it on a table of some kind.

Start cutting out the crossbars and center section, I used a dremel multimax.

This is what you should be looking at now.

Next, place the grillecraft grill into the shell from the frontside, mark the mounting holes with a pencil and drill them out using a 3/16 size bit.

Insert the screws from the inside and put the backing plates on the opposite side and snug everything down, I used an open ended wrench, 1/4 inch.

Remount your grille and step back to admire your great work!

Thats all for now, go big red

Old 10-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #23
SinghSingh is on a distinguished road

SinghSingh's Tacoma Gallery
Plasti Dip Rims...

chadderkdawg, OK. got it... drop the RIMS, clean 'em good, sand with 1K grit. I noticed that you did not paint the lugs. Assuming you did this b\c they'd get stripped of the Plasti Dip they next time you need to remove the rims? Also, did you paint over the weights or did you take those off prior to spraying?

Digging the truck with the new grill. Looks sweeeet!

Jindi
Old 10-28-2011, 08:40 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinghSingh View Post
chadderkdawg, OK. got it... drop the RIMS, clean 'em good, sand with 1K grit. I noticed that you did not paint the lugs. Assuming you did this b\c they'd get stripped of the Plasti Dip they next time you need to remove the rims? Also, did you paint over the weights or did you take those off prior to spraying?

Digging the truck with the new grill. Looks sweeeet!

Jindi
First and foremost, get "plasti-dip" out of your vocabulary. If you are going to paint anything PERMANENTLY, then get real paint. I used rustoleum rattle can paint. Didn't paint the lugs because it would be a hassle and they would probably chip on removal anyway. Painted right over the weights too, next time I get the wheels balanced, I'll have to do some touch up.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #25

Well gentlemen, I got my 33's yesterday. Scored a crazy good deal from a guy on craigslist, unfortunately the sun isn't out today so the pics kinda suck... but here ya are, feast your eyes.

Had a bit of rubbing so I trimmed the fender-well a little... But I definitely need to get a full 3 inch lift for these beasts. They are Cooper MT's, D load and they are loud as shit. Rims are first gen taco steelies.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #26

Forgot to mention, I got him to include some inch and a half spacers
Old 11-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Heretic View Post
I see you....

Super white ftw!

Thinkin about taking the blocks out of the back... maybe that will let the front raise up a bit...
Old 11-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #28

Found these on craigslist, I cant tell you how much I paid for them... I'd have to kill ya
Old 11-14-2011, 07:18 PM   #29

That doesnt bode well for you sir...
Old 11-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #30

But seriously i got em for about half what i told you cuz he didnt have all of the mounting hardware.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #31
Fiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
Fiolo's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good man
Old 11-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #32
CalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shayne
CalgaryRider's Tacoma Gallery
Nice looking truck, looking forward to seeing how it looks with the coil overs

btw, White Access cabs FTW!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryRider View Post
Nice looking truck, looking forward to seeing how it looks with the coil overs

btw, White Access cabs FTW!!!
Thank ya sir! I'm anxious for my coilovers too, I didn't factor in the holiday, so thats going to put them about a week behind schedule. The good news is they are getting me spanner adjustable spring seats, and I'm gonna see if I can get some top mounts out of them too.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:03 AM   #34

Quick update on the coilovers. They were just shipped back from Walker Evans, 50 bucks a shock, and I put a few layers of paint on the springs, here is how they look before goin back under the truck.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:19 AM   #35
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good
Old 01-31-2012, 07:29 AM   #36

Update time, got the coilovers in, the upper control arms installed, and a few cosmetic things, plus some seat covers.

Custom "Taco" emblem

Storm Trooper

ENJOY!
Old 01-31-2012, 07:40 AM   #37
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
Painted the skid and center section with truck bed liner!

Considering doing this...did you just tape it off and paint the skid while attached? Not sure mine will come off too easily as a few of the bolts were beginning to strip when I removed them for the install.

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:45 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by friction View Post
Considering doing this...did you just tape it off and paint the skid while attached? Not sure mine will come off too easily as a few of the bolts were beginning to strip when I removed them for the install.

Thanks.
Yea, my skid is rusted/seized on as well, so I just taped and painted it while on the truck.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #39
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
Yea, my skid is rusted/seized on as well, so I just taped and painted it while on the truck.
Thanks! Didn't know if I could get full (enough) coverage on the top of the skid as I have the spacers in place and it is visible from above the bumper.

LOL, one of the "back" bolts was so rusted and seized that I totally mangled it; so, the skid is only attached to one of the rear factory bolts. Seems very secure still.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #40

Thanks for the rename Chris!