Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

CM617687's Build

Old 09-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Texas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Recruiter
Texas Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Texas Taco's build

Just got my 2011 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off Road about a month ago, and it's time for my build thread! Starting off pretty slow but I plan to add more as time progresses and funds become available.

A couple of days after I got it:

First off I replaced the stock P265/70R16 tires with BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A K/O's in LT265/75R16 :

Next mod was an aFe cold air intake with Pro Dry S filter:

The CAI was a breeze and my buddy and I installed it in about an hour while we were bullshitting around one afternoon. Like alot of people have posted, the directions that come with the CAI are pretty crappy. However with a little bit of mechanical aptitude anyone can put it in. The truck came with a TRD Cat Back exhaust so as of right now I have no plans to modify the exhaust.

Today I had Bilstein 5100's installed all around, set at 1.75" up front. Also had installed Icon 1.5" progressive AAL's:

The shocks and aal's were done at Off Road Warehouse in San Diego.

Next up will be a CB radio and antenna. Looking at mounting a 4' Firestik inside the left rear bedrail. The radio I went with was the Cobra 75 WX ST. I'll post pics after the install and as I continue to mod my truck. Possible future upgrades include a color matched Satoshi grille and maybe a BLHM.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good! BSP tacos for the win!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
Texas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Time for an update!

Well I installed my cb radio Friday. Took me awhile since it was my first time doing anything like this. I installed a Cobra 75 WX ST with a 4 foot Firestik FS4 antenna mounted onto the metal portion of my left rear bedside.

Opted to install the small connector box for the radio down on the left side of the center console. I was originally going to hide it in the small cubby hole just under the steering wheel on the right side, but it later proved impossible to get to in order to connect the SWR meter. I removed the plastic around the shifter to make sure I had enough clearance for the screws:

Saw this little trick from another guy's cb install thread. Basically use the straight piece of a coathanger to thread your wiring through hard to reach areas, such as under the carpet and through the firewall:

Up through the firewall via the coathanger. Just punched it right through the grommet holding the rest of the vehicle wiring:

I ran the coax through the floor and up through the bed:

Being the only metallic portion of the bed, I opted to install my mount here, so that when I removed the antenna my vehicle would look "clean" from any outside view.

The grounding wire isn't the greatest in the world, but it does the job, and is still hidden when the tailgate is up.

You'll also notice in this photo that I put the extra washer and teflon insulating washer on the bottom, where the coax connects, instead of underneath the antenna adapter. After spending quite some time trying to figure out why my SWR readings were so high, I realized this mistake and promptly switched the washers to the correct side.

Connected the power wire to the battery terminal, and ran the grounding wire to the battery ground point on the frame:

And... all done!

Managed to get the antenna tuned down to about 1.2:1.2.

All in all it was fairly simple, even for someone who had never done anything like this before. Stay tuned for more mods as they come!
Old 10-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
What type of offloading do you like? Any plans on armor? (sliders, skids, bumpers)
Old 10-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
What type of offloading do you like? Any plans on armor? (sliders, skids, bumpers)

I like more of the trail exploring type of offroading, as opposed to rock crawling and such. I do enjoy running around in the sand and small hills of Ocotillo as well. Not really into mudding, but I won't let it stop me.

As far as armor goes, I'm looking into better skid plates and armor for the underside. As for anything else I like the ARB bumpers but at the same time I'm trying to keep my truck a decent daily driver as well.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #6

Latest addition: Demello bolt-on rock sliders. Powdercoated black.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #7

Latest additions: A black color matched grille to replace the original stock grille, and a set of Black Rock Yuma 908b wheels. Specs: 16x8 6x5.5 4.25bs, 0mm offset.

They easily clear the calipers, and I'm loving the new wider stance.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
McBuckets
RockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Noah
RockyMtnTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Nice BSP man!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #10

I actually have the Black 202 color. I get that all the time unless they see my truck up close. Thanks though!
Old 04-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #11
lsutiger1 is on a distinguished road

lsutiger1's Tacoma Gallery
love the truck

Love the truck! I also have the black 2014 double cab and my first purchase will be 265/75/17 BFG all terrains. And was wondering how much for the 5100's and the leaf springs?