Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Casual Overlander

Old 09-29-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
vtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to behold

Army:
vtmactech's Tacoma Gallery
Casual Overlander

I'm working on building a casual overland rig. Don't have the time or interest in a true hardcore overland rig but do want to be able to go off grid for a week or 2 at a time. It will need to return to commuter and be work ready so everything will need to be quick detachable.

Here is my starting point. Base model regular cab 4x4 with auto. Feel lucky I was able to get a 2011 model. They had a 2012 sitting beside mine when I picked it up last Thursday and side-by-side, the 2011 was more to my liking. It came w/ minimal options, sliding window, hitch, bed mat and floor mats.

This will be slow going but I will try to keep it updated as I change/add bits here and there.

Yet to come:
Cruise
Int. Wipers
Thule Rack (or similar)
Roof Top Tent
Bedslide (going to fabricate a 100% extention slide for a slide out kitchen and access to gear and water tank)
Front bumper of some sort (currently thinking ARB but there are so many to pick from)

Need to remove the mud flaps before they tear off.

I'm considering a Flippac but it seems to be too limiting since this is not a dedicated overland rig.

New

Added Tailgate clamp

Added WeatherTechs

Added MT/Rs

Bumper on and mudflaps off.

Bed Rack added, RTT should be here this week.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
vtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to behold

Army:
ARB bumper showed up today, crazy huge packaging!!! Baby steps, but will be there soon enough.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #4

Army:
Bumper on. Mudflaps off.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #5

Army:
Added Thule Xsporter for RTT.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
U know fish can hear u thinking just b4 u sneeze
Skinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lance
Skinny Rogers's Tacoma Gallery
Keep up the good work!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #7
buffalojay is on a distinguished road

buffalojay's Tacoma Gallery
Love the build!! How's it ride with the bumper and no aftermarket suspension? I am getting ideas for my build, and Im contemplating getting an ARB. However Im like you just a casual overland rig is what I'm going for.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #8

Army:
Ride is great considering its a SWB vehicle with 10 ply tires. Front takes highway bumps smoothly with no notable changes from stock. Just picked RTT up an hour ago, will open box and check mounting hardware out in the morning.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #9

Army:
RTT is on. Mounted cross bars off center so I could mount Thule Kayak Stacker on edge, looks like it will work out fine.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #10

Army:

Old 07-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
That is just awesome,

SO what makes an "Overlander?"

Old 07-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #12

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWMF View Post

SO what makes an "Overlander?"

O´ver`land`er
n. 1. One who travels over lands or countries; one who travels overland.

To me, an "Overlander" is a vehicle used for ongoing travel, exploring, boondocking would be another term. Basically going until you run out of water, refill and move to another spot.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
I wish I had the free time to try something like that. So do you look for lightly treaded roads or try and make your way on your own?

Here in WNC when you start finding roads you end up on private property, lol.

Or National Forest Property,

Your truck looks like it's turning into a well equipped tool.

Congrats,
Old 07-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #14

Army:
And with the boat.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #15
"We have assumed control"
beachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matti
beachingtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Nice build so far!
Old 07-31-2013, 08:11 PM   #16
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
255 mtr's ?
Old 07-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #17
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
255 mtr's ?
I think his are 245/75/16 if I'm not mistaken? I don't believe MT/R's come in 255 yet.

EDIT - Yeah, found one of his old posts, 245/75/16.

Matt
Old 07-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #18

Army:
No, stock size. 245/75/16. Only needed more traction, haven't had any issues with clearance. I do plan on 5100's up front and either a block or add-a-leaf once I get geared up and things settle. After that, if I go larger the tires will be 235/85/16
Old 08-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #19

Army:
Makes a dandy fly swatter too.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #20
Im new. and about to ask dumb questions Stand by!
Larryboy is on a distinguished road

Larryboy's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice!