Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Custom built (by me) rock sliders

Old 03-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #61
NOMAD
ANDYTACOMA is a jewel in the roughANDYTACOMA is a jewel in the roughANDYTACOMA is a jewel in the rough

ANDYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
a quick rendition of some out-of-the-box design for added strength

THAT^ ............
makes NO sense at all! at least not to me, i still don't understand why anyone would ever "pierce" holes in a tube to increase its strength
Steel tubes either round or square would NEVER benefit from pierceing holes in it,rather by doing this you would jeopardize the structural integrity of the tube.
especially HR steel!!
Old 03-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #62
NOMAD
ANDYTACOMA is a jewel in the roughANDYTACOMA is a jewel in the roughANDYTACOMA is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
a quick rendition of some out-of-the-box design for added strength

THAT^ ............
makes NO sense at all! at least not to me, i still don't understand why anyone would ever "pierce" holes in a tube to increase its strength

Let me give you a simple example of this. The drive shaft of a
car or truck is a long tube that connects the end of the
transmission to the gears in the rear end that drive the rear
wheels. All drive shafts are hollow tubes, as if someone took
a long rod that was perhaps 4" in diameter and drilled out
all the metal in the center. Now, a drive shaft is subjected
to strong torque, because the transmission is twisting one
end, causing the drive shaft to rotate and twist the gears in
the rear end of the vehicle. If you analyze the stresses in a
solid (not hollow) drive shaft, you will see that the stress
is carried mainly by the outer periphery. The center has
very little stress on it, and carries almost no load. It just
adds useless weight. So drilling out the center to turn the
drive shaft into a tube, has almost no effect on its ability
to carry the torque load, and it has the benefit of cutting
its weight dramatically. So what we have is much reduced
weight, and the use of much less material, with no
significant reduction in its strength

Steel tubes either round or square would NEVER benefit from "piercing" holes in it,rather by doing this you would jeopardize the structural integrity of the tube.
especially HR steel!!
Old 03-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #63
ldanny is on a distinguished road
ldanny's Tacoma Gallery
nice
Old 05-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #64
SMO
SaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
SaltySteve's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDYTACOMA View Post
THAT^ ............

Let me give you a simple example of this. The drive shaft of a
car or truck is a long tube that connects the end of the
transmission to the gears in the rear end that drive the rear
wheels. All drive shafts are hollow tubes, as if someone took
a long rod that was perhaps 4" in diameter and drilled out
all the metal in the center. Now, a drive shaft is subjected
to strong torque, because the transmission is twisting one
end, causing the drive shaft to rotate and twist the gears in
the rear end of the vehicle. If you analyze the stresses in a
solid (not hollow) drive shaft, you will see that the stress
is carried mainly by the outer periphery. The center has
very little stress on it, and carries almost no load. It just
adds useless weight. So drilling out the center to turn the
drive shaft into a tube, has almost no effect on its ability
to carry the torque load, and it has the benefit of cutting
its weight dramatically. So what we have is much reduced
weight, and the use of much less material, with no
significant reduction in its strength

Steel tubes either round or square would NEVER benefit from "piercing" holes in it,rather by doing this you would jeopardize the structural integrity of the tube.
especially HR steel!!
What is your defintion of piercing? Your explanation of piercing sounds like hollowing out a solid piece of bar stock to make a tube. He already stated that he started out with tubing though.

Piercing to me is creating a hole that would be perpendicular to the tubing. Doing this would undeniably compromise the tubings integrity.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #65
NOMAD

YES!!! i agree that explanation was flagrant and misleading but i see that you understand my point i was merely trying to explain that in a majority of designs involving tube especially that of hr steel any time some purposely pierces a hole in tube in weakens the structural integrity
Old 05-04-2009, 06:55 PM   #66
bigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud of
Name: mike
bigyetti's Tacoma Gallery
great job. make a jig make some $$$ from helping out fellow taco owners make there trucks even better looking than they are allready
Old 05-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #67
Rock Solid Toy
SilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordon
SilverSeven's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltySteve View Post
Doing this would undeniably compromise the tubings integrity.

By running the tubes through the main square crossbar you are actually INCEASING the strength of the whole apparatus
Old 05-06-2009, 07:14 PM   #68
NOMAD

Quote:
By running the tubes through the main square crossbar you are actually INCEASING the strength of the whole apparatus
YES! i would agree however thats not what the guy said and besides coping the ends and TIG welding the perimeter is easier and faster and just as strong
Old 05-07-2009, 05:31 PM   #70
SMO
SaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
SaltySteve's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
IMO, as long as you have consistent and proper penetration (stop giggling) you would have a stronger welded structue not cutting holes (piercing) in the tube. I'm not saying I'm 100% positive about this at all. It just makes sense to me though. Let me know if there's any online literature pertaining to this. I'm always down for learnin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDYTACOMA View Post
YES! i would agree however thats not what the guy said and besides coping the ends and TIG welding the perimeter is easier and faster and just as strong
Coping is so technical. Doesn't fish mouthing sound better?
Old 05-08-2009, 04:56 AM   #71
Rock Solid Toy
SilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordon
SilverSeven's Tacoma Gallery
whatever, your sliders are tight... good job ... haha
Old 05-08-2009, 05:00 AM   #72
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
When's the GB????????????
Old 05-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #73
FJ FTW!
southern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

southern_x's Tacoma Gallery
NEED SOME! just got another lower door ding! i need some protection!
Old 05-26-2009, 01:46 PM   #74
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
I want some!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 03:31 PM   #75
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
If you just post measurements, I'll be all over that shit with my boys in the metal shop
Old 05-27-2009, 08:38 AM   #76
FJ FTW!
southern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

southern_x's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangp View Post
If you just post measurements, I'll be all over that shit with my boys in the metal shop

what would cost look like?
Old 05-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #77
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
LOL... sorry, I didn't mean I was going to mass produce them! I was just going to see if I could get them to work with me and build a set!