Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

The building of a truck (carcharias' build)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
No longer anonymous. D'oh!
carcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
carcharias's Tacoma Gallery
The building of a truck (carcharias' build)

Truck Specs:
2011 MGM Access Cab, TRD Offroad, 4x4

Front Suspension:
Kings w/ 700lb coils
Total Chaos uca's

Rear Suspension:
Kings
Dakar leaf pack

Lighting:
Rigid 20" Spot/Flood behind grill (bought here)
Silverstar headlights
PIAA 5370 Black LED fog lights
LED dome lights
LED map lights
LED license plate lights

Wheels/Tires:
BFG 255/85/16 KM2

Recovery Gear:
WARN M8000-s (bought here)
60" Hi-lift
ATO Hi-lift bed mounts

Armor:
DO plate bumper
BAMF sliders w/ kickout
BAMF diff skid
BAMF LCA skids
ATO skids

CB:
Uniden 520XL
Little Wil Antenna
Wilson CB Coax with FME & Boot - 18'
6" Weatherproof PA Speaker

HAM:
Yaesu FT-8900R
Diamond CR-8900A antenna
BAMF Tailgate Antenna Mount
filter & 17' wire

Misc stuff:
ABS Kill-Switch mod
Weathertech mats
Seat belt chime disabled
Grillcraft w/ old FJ logo
Maglite mounted in the cab
Locking center console
Extra d-rings in bed
BAMF behind grill light bar
Wet Okole seat covers
Redline Tuning struts
Access LE cover
Window tint
aFe ProDry filter
LoJack
Viper 5901
Tailgate lock mod
Locking gas cap
Dif. Breather Mod
Plasti-Derped rear chrome bumper

Future:
HID headlights with BHLM

Old photo (will update soon):

-------------------

First night I saw the beast:

----
Taking her home:

----
First mod is the simple and effective tailgate theft mod:

------
Prepping w/ BBQ paint:

-----
Relocating the temp sensor:

-------
Replaced my home-made, aluminum lightbar with one from BAMF:

------
WeatherTechs:

-----
MagLite mod:

---
Extra d-rings so I can haul my motorcycle:

----
Said motorcycle, which has nothing to do w/ anything:

----
aFe ProDry air filter

----
My flattened springs under 500lb load which lead to needing the TSB:

----
Locking console mod:

-----
Wet Okoles:

-----
LED dome light:

----
LED map lights:

----
Redline Tuning struts:

----
Solid ATO hi-Lift mounts:

----
Window tint:

-----
Access LE:

------
Before the exhaust was re-routed:

After: (they actually eff'd this up)

After.... Again.... (Ugly welds, but it seems to be working)

-----------
New Kings and TC uca's from DSM waiting for installation:

---------
New Dakars from DSM sitting patiently:

-------
Kings all around w/ Dakar leaf pack, all installed by The Truck Shop in San Diego:

-------
Kings up front w/ TC uca's (DSM purchases): I reeeeeaaaaally despise the blue color of these....

-------
Kings in rear w/ Dakar leaf pack (DSM purchases):

Here's what I want out of my truck: a little less than an expedition, a truck that can climb rocks, cross streams, hit light mud, and take me out into the woods while being self-sufficient. No truck-bed camping, but it may have the motorcycle in it (500lbs). It will definitely be taken off-road, but is also a daily driver. All input is welcome!
Old 11-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
Large "member"
NC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you have a plan! Waiting til after christmas to get moving on the rear suspension on mine
Old 01-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
carcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Um, so, I read some things on here that didn't pan out with my experience so far. I read 700lb coils are supposed to ride rough w/ out any attachments (bumper, winch, etc). Also, the Dakars are supposed to be just as rough for the same reasons. Neither of these is true.

The leaf pack rides better than the TSB, and the coils are smooth. Granted it's only been 300 miles of on-road driving, but I'm thinking that's not going to matter. I guess coming from a Wrangler means I have a different outlook on a stiff ride. Can't wait to get this off-road once the rest gets installed. Up next: Demello bumper/sliders, ATO skids, and BAMF rear diff skid.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
He said "Member," ahuh huh
Appljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeremy
Appljaxx's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck. What's up with the tires? Looks like you have about 3 grand or so but you neglected the most important part of the truck.

Do you have any pics with you demello bumper on? Do you like it?
Old 02-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #8

I know! I know! It pains me everyday! Had to quickly leave town for work before putting new shoes on it. Am looking at 255 KM2s when I finally get back home.

Yeah, I have some more crappy cellphone photos of the bumper. I'll try to put them up soon. All pics look awkward without good tires, though.

This bumper is great. Feels thick, looks amazing, and I love the hoop. Will be putting mesh behind the "DO" to black it out. Check out the 3-hoop on Tacovender's beast: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...land-taco.html

My front end suddenly developed some sort of "loose metal" noise after installation, though, so will get it checked out when back.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
Looking great man, how is the ride with the kings? Curious because that is going to be my next shock upgrade when the toytecs give up the ghost. Need something to handle the weight of bumper and winch setup I have. What wheels you planning or you keeping stockers?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:46 PM   #10

Thanks, Bobby! Once over the sticker shock, the Kings are awesome. It was the 700lb coils that I was afraid of at first, but the truck stays firmly planted without any "knocking" due to lack of weight in the front (still need to install ATO skids). It all rides much better than the stock off-road Billy's, and even the Dakars w/out weight in the bed are more smooth than the TSB was. All of this driving is sadly on-road so far, but as soon as I get back home and get new wheels/tires...

So, only thing you may want to consider w/ your winch/bumper is those heavier coils up front. Heard that Fox charges extra for them, which is another reason I chose King.

The silver 16" FJ TRD wheels look incredible, so will most likely go that route w/ KM2's. You changing your wheels, too? How're those KM2's doing up there in AK? You get them sipped?
Old 03-31-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
jaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jaw154's Tacoma Gallery
Truck looks awesome with the Kings on. How much was the installation from the Truck Shop, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 08-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #14
ae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kimo
ae111black's Tacoma Gallery
Nice set up! loving the 255's!
Old 08-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #16
ae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcharias View Post
Thanks, Kimo! They are an excellent size and awesome tire!
How's the ride with such a heavy spec tire? And what psi are you currently running?
Old 08-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #17

I'm running 40psi on-road, and just dropped them down to 25psi for desert offroading. Others have been dropping them to 15 or 10 depending on terrain.

Um, it rides like a truck should now. With the weight of the tires and all my armor, it feels great! Never liked the stock ride. And I'm getting 16/18mpg. You thinking of going 255?
Old 08-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcharias View Post
I'm running 40psi on-road, and just dropped them down to 25psi for desert offroading. Others have been dropping them to 15 or 10 depending on terrain.

Um, it rides like a truck should now. With the weight of the tires and all my armor, it feels great! Never liked the stock ride. And I'm getting 16/18mpg. You thinking of going 255?
Yes sir! I have a few other things to get done probably upgrade tires around Christmas
Old 08-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Truck looks great
Thanks, OZ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae111black View Post
Yes sir! I have a few other things to get done probably upgrade tires around Christmas
Good time for deals. Bought mine at America's Tire (Discount Tire Direct), who's a vendor on here. Heck you may need strong KM2s for the lava rock you have on that island....

Products Discussed in this Thread