Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Zach's '11 DCLB Bike Expedition build

Old 11-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
Just Zach is on a distinguished road
Name: Zach
Just Zach's Tacoma Gallery
Zach's '11 DCLB Bike Expedition build

I've had my truck for about a year now. I'm an avid mountain biker and wanted something to get me to the trail heads that are a little more remote and harder to get to. Thanks to Fat Bob's Garage in Ogden Utah for the great work.

I regularly carry 4 bikes on a Thule T2 Hitch rack with quite a bit of camping gear in the bed so I decided that airbags were the right choice for the rear lift. At about 20 PSI it levels everything out and still has a surprisingly good ride. I was thinking I was going to need to do a add-a-leaf or blocks to retail a good ride but that hasn't been the case at all.

The front lift is Bilstein with OME 885 springs set at 0 and a 1/4" spacer on top to get right at 3" lift. LR UCA's were a must too.

I installed the KMC Enduros right when I got the truck but had 265/70 R17 Michelin LTX AT's on it with a 1.5" leveling kit but as much and I was impressed with the Michelins it just didn't look right with that tire and size. After a lot of research I decided to give the 285/70 R17 Duratracs a try. So far I'm pretty please. The tire shop did have quite a hard time balancing them and even with 2 road force balances they still have a little wobble but I'm giving it some time for them to settle and heat cycle then we'll try balancing again. I love the look but they definitely are heavier feeling than the Michelins. There's also a very noticeable road hum but it's not terrible. On par with a fairly quiet MT tire. I don't know that I'm 100% sold on them yet but time will tell. I think if I don't end up loving them I'll get some narrower wheels and try a 255/75 R17 tire. I wanted to do that anyway but the Enduros are 9" wide and I didn't feel like buying new wheels right now too.

Bumpers and sliders are done by Fat Bob's Garage. All of them are 1 offs for now although I'm guessing they'll start doing them soon. The rear bumper was something I requested. I needed the factory hitch location for my bike rack to work and still be able to open the tailgate without removing it. I'm very happy with how it turned out. The sliders I've had on for 8 months now. They've worked great off road but also saved my side door from my wife in a parking garage...

Future plans are a platform in the bed for sleeping with storage below. Maybe some more lights, skid plates, a rear locker, and a few other little things.

Onto the pics

Old 11-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Lifted DCLB, can't go wrong!
Old 11-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
zimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant future

zimm52's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good. NOt a huge fan of the front bumper, but I really like the back one. Great work!
Old 11-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
Thanks guys.

It looks like I'm in need of a cab mount chop. That or new narrower wheels. It rubs bad right now. The Enduros that I have are 9" wide and have a -6mm offset. Something like the Procomp 7089's are 8" wide and have a 0mm offset. I believe that would fix it but it's obviously a much more expensive undertaking for something that might fix it. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
So I think I have the rubbing gone. I had the cab mount chopped and pounded the pinch weld back as well as going at it with a dremel and a heat gun. Thanks to all the info on this forum. It made doing it a lot easier.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
This morning my four year old told me she wanted to drive in some mud today so we went looking for some. Had a good time. I'm pretty happy with the performance of the new tires so far. I got to try them out in dirt, mud, snow and ice. Here's a couple pics I snapped.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Holy shit those bumpers are hefty.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #9
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
looks nice man! but the front bumper looks a little big for the truck IMO. back looks good.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
Holy shit those bumpers are hefty.
Hehehe, yep, they are.