Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Tires on 16" stock rims with 3" lift

Old 12-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
cperk is on a distinguished road
cperk's Tacoma Gallery
Tires on 16" stock rims with 3" lift

I'm trying to figure out what tire size i can go up to without new whhels, spacers or trimming. i have a 3" totec lift and 16" OEM stock rims. would love to go with 285/75/16. will they fit?
Old 12-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
04trd4x4AL is a splendid one to behold04trd4x4AL is a splendid one to behold04trd4x4AL is a splendid one to behold04trd4x4AL is a splendid one to behold04trd4x4AL is a splendid one to behold04trd4x4AL is a splendid one to behold04trd4x4AL is a splendid one to behold04trd4x4AL is a splendid one to behold

Name: Daniel
04trd4x4AL's Tacoma Gallery
I heard yes but depends on what rims.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
Possibly--I have seen most posts say 275/75/16-was the largest with no rubbing.
Thats what I have--NO RUBBING
Old 12-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
TACOFUERTE is on a distinguished road

Name: Sopapilla
TACOFUERTE's Tacoma Gallery
I ride 285/75/26's on stock TRD rims with a 3 in lift. They rubbed slightly on the bottom front fender and the spring. I ended up installing spacers.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cperk View Post
I'm trying to figure out what tire size i can go up to without new whhels, spacers or trimming. i have a 3" totec lift and 16" OEM stock rims. would love to go with 285/75/16. will they fit?
They will rub, get some spacers and you'll be good.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
Taco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant future
Name: JohnnyHildo
Taco Libre's Tacoma Gallery
from what i read here often, anytime your using larger tires on stock rims with a lift you need to install spacers
Old 12-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #8
cperk's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the quick responses. i have 6-lug OEM 16" rims. I hope to get tires installed today. I'll see how much rubbing there is before deciding on spacers. I haven't had any luck finding 275/75/16 tires. only 265/75 and 255/85. what are the specs on 275/75/16?
Old 12-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #9
Mr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mr.Ed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thanks for the quick responses. i have 6-lug OEM 16" rims. I hope to get tires installed today. I'll see how much rubbing there is before deciding on spacers. I haven't had any luck finding 275/75/16 tires. only 265/75 and 255/85. what are the specs on 275/75/16?
Cooper makes a 265/75/16 sst maxx it's taller than the regular 265/75/16. I have 255/85/16's 3" Toytec lift no rubbing din't have to cuting no spacers. They look a little thin but they work for me.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #10
Team Impulse Red
CHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dan
CHPTR11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am fairly certain 275/75/16 is not an offered tire size. If you have the ToyTec 3" you will be able to fit 285/75/16 on OEM rims and 1.25" wheel spacers to clear the upper control arm.

You will be fine with street driving, but you may or may not rub some if you wheel the truck.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #11
cperk's Tacoma Gallery
ok, got the 285/75/16 BFG AT's on but do rub the UCA at full turn. looks great and will post pics soon. however, the rubbing bothers me and the tire dealer said if i use spacers they won't honor the warranty. is it possible to change out the UCA's and how hard is it to change out? i want to stick with the stock rims if possible.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #12
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ok, got the 285/75/16 BFG AT's on but do rub the UCA at full turn. looks great and will post pics soon. however, the rubbing bothers me and the tire dealer said if i use spacers they won't honor the warranty. is it possible to change out the UCA's and how hard is it to change out? i want to stick with the stock rims if possible.
New ucas won't give you more clearance....at least not much. And they are ~$400

Spacers are the answer. I don't see how they could possibly affect a tire wear warranty.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #13
cperk's Tacoma Gallery
i wondered that too about the warranty (discount tires), perhaps if the spacers break and cause a blowout? not sure. may have to look at aftermarket wheels in the future.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #14
cperk's Tacoma Gallery
so if i go with spacers, what size? 1.25" plenty?
Old 12-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #15
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so if i go with spacers, what size? 1.25" plenty?
Yep, get 1.25" spidertrax hub centric spacers.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #16
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Yep, get 1.25" spidertrax hub centric spacers.
Get spidertrax's like KPT said. If you get cheapo's you may not like how it rides. I hear some other brands out there are not balanced right and can cause issues.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #17
BassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Dan
BassMaster06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Can anybody back this up? I'm in the same boat, about to pull the trigger on the OME 3" lift, lookin for a 33" tire, trying to keep my stock TRD 16" Offroad wheels, and trying to avoid wheel spacers. I have a pair of Light Racing UCA's waiting to be installed with the lift, which, I've been told will give me enough clearance for my desired tire size and cancel out the need for wheel spacers. I don't care about having to do some minor trimming. Any input or experience?
Old 12-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #18
[QUOTE=BassMaster06;4263971]
Quote:

Can anybody back this up? I'm in the same boat, about to pull the trigger on the OME 3" lift, lookin for a 33" tire, trying to keep my stock TRD 16" Offroad wheels, and trying to avoid wheel spacers. I have a pair of Light Racing UCA's waiting to be installed with the lift, which, I've been told will give me enough clearance for my desired tire size and cancel out the need for wheel spacers. I don't care about having to do some minor trimming. Any input or experience?
They will rub on the spindle if they are a 285-75-16. Mine did so I bought some rims. That was with LR UCA's and a coil lift.