1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Flatbed,35’s and Mainly Parked For Repairs

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by tacoma16, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Feb 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Thanks Mike. I ended up getting the cans at princess auto. Figured they would come in handy, as well as they will last.

Excited to get the bumpers, sure is going to give the truck a face lift :D. I figure about a year since Eric gives about a 6 month lead time before he starts fabbing. Although he was getting into a new shop with more help so who knows. sooner the better haha. The year though will give me some time to save up for a lift and get the courage to hack up my bedsides :eek:. May need your moral support for that one :p.

2. Feb 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM
    DueNorth

DueNorth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 BSP TRD Sport DCSB 6sp
    You got them at PA, really. I was just there a few weeks ago and never seen anything like that. I seen their ammo cans tho (just weren't big enough) but i'll have to give it a better look and see if i can find those gas cans.

I'll do one better than just moral support, i'll even help you hack those fenders. :D Remember, the first cut is always the worst. lol
    In all honesty, i think cutting my front fender and A-pillar for the snorkel was a bit more intense but i'd imagine cutting the flairs and fenders 3" all the way around will have the same effect. :cool:

3. Feb 26, 2013 at 3:06 PM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    they were pretty pricey at about $60 a can, but the regular 20L red cans ALWAYS end up leaking and the caps break, so i figured for out on the trail these would be the best and safest for the longest time.

Just for a tease theres 2 left online
    http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8451411/Gas/20-Litre-Fuel-Can

I may take you up on the help when the time comes as i may be to much of a wreck to actually do the cut haha JK. But seriously will definatly take the help. Kinda of a no room for error kind of install :p. I bet the snorkel install was pretty bad too. Kinda hesitent in getting one, but if its needed on the trail, better safe than sorry right.

4. Feb 26, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    I totally hear ya! Those cheap red gas cans always leak on me to and you are right, these Nato cans are definitely safer in the long run. Especially while out on the trail bouncing around like crazy.

I don't mind helping you at all man, i know exactly how ya feel that first time doing it. Just lemme know when ya need me.

A snorkel is great for reassurance and the water (depending on which trail) can get a little deep at times but i really hope i don't submerge my truck that deep. But just in case, i do try something stupid tho ;) its good to have. It's a pain in the butt having one throughout the winter time and i definitely don't look forward to the day i have to rip apart my interior to dry it all out after doing something silly but all in all, cheap insurance for what we do. Can't go wrong with that. :)

Oh, and if you ever do get a snorkel, prepare to get everyone's attention on the road ALL the time. People can't help but not stare, especially around where we live. Not to often you see a snorkeled vehicle around here.

5. Feb 26, 2013 at 4:18 PM
    Fightman80

Fightman80 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capreol Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD DCLB Speedway Blue
    Tinted Tail lights, Nerb Bars, Tonneau Cover, Vent Visors, Hood Deflector, Foglight/highbeam mod, Custom homemade grill, Carbon Fibre Interior.
    We definitely get more than you do.... but normally not too bad. This winter however.... we got blasted! I have over 4ft of snow in my yard! The banks are even higher.....

6. Feb 26, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Thanks Mike you will definatly be hearing from me when I get my bumpers, really appreciate the offer.

I have been reading up on snorkels. Definatly pros and cons to having them, but definatly want to weigh out the trails this summer to see if I will need it. Sometimes though you are stuck and they definatly are a cheap insurance/reasurance if you have to get into the deep stuff. Like you said, they look pretty sweet on our trucks and in general when you see a vehicle with one. Definatly increases the want factor haha.

Oh yeah i have heard some stories from my sister of the massive amounts of snow. Definatly would be a fun time to drive through that.

7. Mar 18, 2013 at 8:19 AM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Thought i give this an updte. Got in on a few groups buys and got myself some LR UCA's and a relentlessfab tailgate reinforcement plate.

Also, here are some pics of the Southern Ontario TW meet Pics from the thread

[​IMG]

CIMG2262_zpsbe95708c_5ab02d247ecdf9d5c772f94aacecf2ecd5281f2c.jpg

CIMG2264_zpsfb9e551a_abbe8ba902c45d18d28de46f43205b9ea58abc0a.jpg

CIMG2282_zpsad5634e7_fb715e69883a86e632c9d2bec1d2e15b99f25a19.jpg

After meeting with everyone, and comparing trucks it looks like a lift is going to be in my near future, as im sagging with the armour, and rubbing hear and there with 265. See how that goes though.

8. Mar 18, 2013 at 9:36 AM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Good to see you again Peter. Once you get that lift on that saggyness and your rubbing issues will go away. Its nice when you do scrap bottom with armor on tho, gives me peace of mind. :)

9. Mar 18, 2013 at 10:56 AM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Yeah it was nice seeing you too. Im hoping that my bumpers will be coming this summer and the lift should be coming soon after. Once I get my transfer case skid all fixed ill have even more peace of mind haha.

10. Apr 2, 2013 at 9:54 AM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Well summer is coming around the corner, so that means I got to get ready for the trail. Some things I want to do (and going to write down here so I don't forget) are:

-figure out storage solution behind the rear seats
    -redo my aux fuse box (want to make the wiring cleaner, and have relay station)
    -build a gas can mount for my scepter cans
    -delete low hanging exhaust
    -delete tumor from transfer case skid
    -adjust relentless cb mount
    - repaint what ever needs it.

See how that goes. Few little projects that wont break the bank. Keep me busy until my bumpers come.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  11. Apr 9, 2013 at 8:05 AM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    LOL @ "deleting tumor from transfer case skid"

I'm really interested in seeing what you come up with for the storage solution behind the seats. I keep contemplating ripping the plastic out to give me more room but don't want to deal with ugliness behind it.

I'm going to try and get all the armor on my truck this week in time for the big m&g, too bad you're not coming out dude!

12. Apr 9, 2013 at 11:20 AM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Yeah cant wait to get home to start working on the truck.

My plan for the back storage is something like this --> except fully carpeting, and try to throw some of these --> http://www.discountramps.com/tie_down_anchor.jpg to secure cargo (found some at princess auto for cheap.

Other than that, I was going to copy your dog platform except maybe put a mole backing to it for more cargo as another idea.

Yeah I really wish I could go to the M&G but school comes first. haha. I was contemplating going but I have a huge cardiac exam so no bueno haha.

BTW bumpers are suppose to be here for the summer. See how it goes.

13. Apr 10, 2013 at 10:35 AM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for sending me that link for your storage space idea! That a great use of space back there. I'm going to do the same thing with my truck, but i want to make sure i pick up some of that dynomat (sound deadening) stuff before hand. My back seats are usually always down (for the dogs when i don't want to put them in the bed) but i need to maximize the space in the cab as much as possible since i don't really want to mount a tool box in the bed. This is the perfect solution, thanks man. :)

Good news about your bumpers coming this summer. Can't wait to see 'em! Mine might be here very very soon as well. :D

14. Apr 10, 2013 at 11:04 AM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Right now I always have my seats up because I don't have a protective barrier on the backs of my seats to protect my wet okoles (don't want the straps tearing). So I figured if I put a bench like you have and make it work with out the plastic it would be great.

Defiantly worried about road noise, so I was considering dynamat or a cheaper solution from home depot. Also there are some existing holes back there that you can also use to screw stuff in
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/196053-custom-storage-gun-rack-idea-double-cab.html post #10

Don't know if they are threaded, but definatly not cutting anything or drilling new holes. Also, I think there are some holes on the very top where there are rubber dampeners to cushion the seat back when you fold them up.

So many options haha

Happy to hear about the bumper by the way. you have been waiting longer then I have, so I cant even imagine. I bet Steve is happy too :p

15. Apr 11, 2013 at 10:28 PM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Hmmm, is the sound deadening from Home Depot pretty good quality stuff? Or should i just spring for the dynamat? I really love that Molle bag organizer idea tho, that would be pretty handy. I'm definitely going to go ahead and do this this spring, I'm just really worried about road noise...

Options are good tho, i won't be cutting or drilling anything else either. Just work with what we got. :)

Think you can make out to wheel with us May 4 - 5?

16. Apr 12, 2013 at 4:52 AM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    I'm not really sure on the quality of the stuff from home depot. I remember watching a video where it compared sound deadeners (including home depot stuff), and I cant for the life of me find it, figures when you actually need it. I think between some sound dendener and carpet the road noise shouldn't be too bad, since oem just has the plastic storage pieces with some carpet like material on the back. I Think with your dog platform n there as well, you should be good.

Which may 4-5 run are is this? The Crag Lake (back door) one that's going on at SONTT? That one seems like its a pretty tight trail and a lift is required. lol those 2 things aren't going for me haha. If it is another one though I may be game.

17. Apr 12, 2013 at 7:04 AM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Well if you do find that video, i'd be interested in watching it. Like you said, with the sound deadening and new carpeting placed back over it, the noise should be at a minimum. Lets find a source for this dynomat stuff and order some in.... :D (i'm hoping you already know where to buy lol)

May 4-5 is a run i'm going to setup in Ardbeg (which you'll be just fine running stock). Going to start a thread today. Crag Lake is just way to far for me right now. If i'm going to drive that far, it'll be over to Rausch Creek in PA. :)

EDIT. here's the link to the Ardbeg trail run...
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/ca...trail-run-ardbeg-may-4th-5th.html#post6732025

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  18. Apr 12, 2013 at 8:11 AM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Just found the thread for the meet. Gotta see if I can make it to that. Would be nice, but gotta see. Got to see what I would need, never really done a trip like this...ever. I saw that raush creek trip, that would be kinda cool haha.

For the dynamat, best bet would be to buy it online, or through a car audio store, since places like bestbuy charge through the roof for the stuff. We could even combine an order to safe on shipping if you want. Ill keep you posted with what ever I find. haha.

19. Apr 15, 2013 at 5:27 PM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Well, had a rough couple days of studying for one exam, so for the first time in a couple of days I decided to crawl out under the rock in which has been my office :pccoffee: and go outside . Figured I would go for a drive with the girlfriend and went to princess auto, well I found some goodies, and said screw it and bought em.

Bought these bad boys for some up coming camping trips. My girlfriend pretty much convinced me by saying "well your not going half assed with the rest of the stuff for your truck, might as well". This is coming from the girl who said the front bumper I ordered looked like a "chasity belt"....:annoyed: gotta love er'
    [​IMG]

So got to figure out a way to mount these and these
    [​IMG]

Thinking of a square tubing frame with some sheet metal to separate the cans, and just tie them down in the corner of the bed. See how she goes.

Anyways back to studying....

20. Apr 19, 2013 at 8:23 AM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Nice find at PA there Peter.... Think i may have to find some of those myself. :)

To Top