Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

TORSPD: NEVR

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #21
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet build for sure
Old 02-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #23
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
There was one problem though, but again, it took a while to present itself. Yeay.

Due to the angle of the tubing, and the fact that the flange for the wastegate is a two hole, that meant that the only way we could adjust the wastegate with the dump tube installed, was with the outlet of the wastegate facing up. Didn't seem like a big deal at the time. However, over time, and with rain, water got into the wastegate. It ended up staying on top of the diaphragm. My truck started to act very strange when I would try to boost. The wastegate was making inconsistent noises. This is what everything looked like when I took it apart.

Due to the fact that I have a boost controller, a line is run to the top port from the boost controller, and another to the side port from the turbo or intake manifold.

There was no way for the water to get out, and there were about 2 OZ in there.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #26
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
After pushing over 400 wtq through the stock clutch,for a few months, it finally started to show the idicators of being worn out... It was time for an upgrade. Called up URD and ordered the Competition Clutch, which he had recently started carrying. It was orginally brought to he market by Paradise Racing, but they and URD ended up working some sort of a deal, and URD became a main vendor for them.

I ordered and installed it in the second week of April '09.

Compared to the OEM 4x4 flywheel.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #28
Tor-nication
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Here is what the flywheel and pressure plate looked like. The clutch material was actually still in good shape. Just couldn't grab because everything else was like glass. Coupled with the OEM pressure plate not having near enough clamping force.

So here is now what to much torque did. And for those that have the '08 + models, here is a close up of the clutch where (my '05-'07) is beefier. Also the clutch itself still has a bit of life left on it. It was all of the glazing on the flywheel and stock pressure plate that was causing all of the slippage.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #30
Tor-nication
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
It was around this point though that things took a turn for the worse. Barely a week later, and we had massive flooding across Houston......Not the best thing for a rear mount turbo. Only person to blame is myself though.

The crappy snorkle that they gave me with the kit, also came with a piece of metal tubing that was supposed to slide in it and then you clamp the filter to it in the hose. Well because that piece of tubing could slide around in the snorkle tubing, I was paranoid that it would come loose and get into the inlet of the turbo. So I took the snorkle off, and put the filter right on the turbo inlet. Beneathe the truck, like in the earlier pictures. It was a bad day to pour down. As I had not yet received my snorkle replacement...

This happened:

Old 02-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #32
Tor-nication
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Week after week went by. It was getting very annoying driving around that victory red Chevy Aveo, as well as expensive. To make things worse, I would get laughed at by chicks I drove by. Seriously. Lol.

Then a sign that things were getting better. It was good because I really missed my truck at this point.

My rods and pistons came in from Eric at TTC Performance. WooT WooT

By this point, I had been without my truck for 2 months. Clutch, still not even broken in. Lol.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #34
Tor-nication
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Here are some shots just prior to the rebuild.

Side by side comparison.

If you look carefully enough, you can make out the #2. That designates which bearings are for the stock rods. There can be four different rods in one motor. Strange to me.

Stock rods are a powder cast metal. Pauter Rods are billet steel.

Best place to get rods and pistons for these motors now, Hands Down, is LC Engineering.

www.LCEperformance.com John there, is the man!
Old 02-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #36
Tor-nication
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
I also wanted to upgrade to the X-1, and throw in some heads studs from ARP.

During assembly though, had yet another problem. Those studs in the picture were the wrong pitch and diameter. I was pissed because I didn't have time to wait for the swap for new ones. So I had to go and get another set of OEM torque to yield head bolts. Fail.

If anyone has done any head work on these motors, it is a pain in the ass! Swapping head bolts for studs, means removing the timing cover. And everything in the way if it. Not fun!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #38
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
New favorite thread. Subscribing for future reading.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #39
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to bed Tor. I fully expect a whole shit ton to read when I get up in the morning.

Products Discussed in this Thread