1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TORSPD: NEVR

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Torspd, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Aug 7, 2013 at 5:46 AM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Alright. Let's start with this angle. Who makes the SUA kit?

That is a different approach from what I did, but should work better since I believe that you don't have to cut your shock perches. Like I did with mine.

2. Aug 7, 2013 at 6:23 AM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Not yours. What is the SUA kit that the off-road oriented trucks use?

I need to see a picture. I believe that kit will possibly work better than my custom pieced together kit.

Focusing on the rear right now, to get lower you need to use the OEM shackle. That in combo with your Tundra Racing flip kit will cause the axle to always be on the bump stop. It is too tall. So you need an axle perch with has the axle rest much closer to the springs.

3. Aug 7, 2013 at 6:33 AM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Correct. But, there are two more pieces to that puzzle. I want to compare what I did to the spring under axle kit, so I can see which one would be a better choice for you.

4. Aug 7, 2013 at 7:19 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Are you talking something like this?

http://giantmotorsports.com/content/view/84/104/

Giant racing was the first SUA kit for 2nd gens that popped into my head, there are others but they escape me.

Or... trade in for a 5 lugger. They come with the "high performance factory SUA" option :p

5. Aug 7, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Interesting

6. Aug 7, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Got damn that is fuggin sexy. Well that clearly won't work though.

Here is what will:

http://calvertracing.com/springperch.php The 3.25" perches. They will need to be welded on. Trust me. Lol.

5 lug axle mounts/plates (whatever they are called) and their U-bolts.

6-lug OEM rear shackles.

5-lug shocks, as they are shorter stroke and will not bottom out. XR QA1's will work as well.

<<< End.

Your shock mounts on the axle will have to be cut off to allow the axle plates to fit properly. However, no need to worry, as the 5-lug comes with its own shock mounts.

What size wheels/tires do you have?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  7. Aug 7, 2013 at 9:57 AM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Thank you sir. :cheers: Sound like you had an enlightening conversion with him. ;)

This is quite the honest statement. When I started my build, if I had a plan to only build in one direction, and parts had already been available (forging that path has been terribly expensive) I could have done it for a whole lot cheaper. Had I know which parts were actually the right parts to do what I wanted, I would likely still be on engine #2....Coulda woulda shoulda...... And that very easily coulda been a 600whp engine with out ever having to install sleeves. I am just over doing it at this point.

90mph in the straights compared to their 110+, and 198whp compared to most who have a much better power to weight ratio.....it was quite a compliment to me to be able to easily catch them in braking and turning. :D

There was one guy that was really close to purchasing Toon's turbo kit. I think he has a mid or LT kit. I was so excited to see that kit on his truck. That would have been in-fvckin-sane!

8psi; super safe tune, 400whp and 450wtq. 320ish wtq by 3300RPMs and 450 wtq by 3700RPMs. Plenty of power throughout the whole range. Would love to see the face of a Raptor driver getting smoked by an off-road rig, LT or other. That would be priceless.

Let's not forget all of the FJ's/Land Cruisers/Pradas/Turbo diesel Hilux's in Europe and UAE which only run turbo setups. All the time in their off road racing events. Heavily built at that. Including sleeved/stroked/bored 1GR's making 1k + whp. Turbos will get damaged just the same as an S/C if something gets in there. That is what air filters are for . ^_^ As well as all of the regularly used off-road military vehicles.

:drool: :drool: :drool: If you can't race on road then race off road.

8. Aug 7, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Better get some videos if you guys go out there. I want to see.

The older MKI, has hand down fallen to the TRD. The MKIII with a good driver (<<< most important point lol) I believe has taken the reigns from it. According to Werty, his belief with his now, is just that. He feels it is considerably quicker. So I will take his word. The actual proof will be once he gets to take it to the track. And he admits this as well. Regardless, don't boost while rock crawling unless you have one baaaaad mother of a truck. Like those tube chassis rock racing hill climbers. Like Goliath I think?

Either way you choose to do first, you have the people here at your disposal to make the right choices on how to navigate through the unknown, safely. :thumbsup:

9. Aug 7, 2013 at 10:15 AM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    I have the pictures posted, as long as my photobucket account bandwidth hasn't been exceeded again. :mad: Sucks that.

For the front, need to either use XR struts and swap out the top hat with that of yours, or get QA1's. If you get QA1's I can tell you what you need to do to make them work, but it will cost about $850 for bolt in adjustable QA1 coilovers with Eibach springs.

Interestingly, I just now though about swapping the XR struts with the 6-lug top hat. :cool: I would start with stock height and get lowering springs from www.twelveperformance.com if necessary.

10. Aug 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    When you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask. I can save you some headaches.

11. Aug 7, 2013 at 10:42 AM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Oh, definitely lol. I wish I had done a lot more homework on this site before I got back from my first deployment with the truck...spent probably 3 grand on the truck on random crap that I've since replaced...In hindsite....would have boosted as soon as i got back from Deployment...and put on a bitching MT setup...

12. Aug 9, 2013 at 7:16 AM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Going to try. Waiting on new lines to come in so that I can replace the rest of the factory clutch line. Then I need to paint the hood. Very simple stuff, and should been done with the both of those in a couple weeks, do to scheduling. So should be through with plenty of time prior to that event.

13. Aug 9, 2013 at 8:28 AM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    MT setup and Toon714's turbo kit! DO IT!!!:D

Shoot he lives CA right now. :rolleyes:

14. Aug 9, 2013 at 9:08 AM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Well, I don't have the fundage at the moment for anything like that lol. And, I'm more of an 'across the power band' kind of guy. While I'm aware that turbos can be set wherever and can pump out more power, I'd kind of like to to stick to something that's more easily bolted on...this would be my first boosted application...sooo baby steps lol. Can't just jump right into a turbo setup and all the fab on that :). That's for years down the road when my SC with all the mods just ain't enough and I should have listened to Torspd because RaceTruck

15. Aug 9, 2013 at 9:10 AM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Lol. Touche. :cheers:

Baby steps first won't get you in trouble. :thumbsup:

16. Aug 9, 2013 at 9:19 AM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Lol exactly. My eyes get super huge when I re-read your build. OMFG he did all that??? When we talk about you at meets, we're like 'that dude is crazy, has a spare engine just in case everything is all bored out and super beefed up' jealous jealous jealous

17. Aug 9, 2013 at 9:51 AM
    nfs257

nfs257 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    She gone
    I want it badly. I just couldnt keep him on the hook because the money wasnt gonna be there in a timely manner since I had to pull some to cover other things.

18. Aug 9, 2013 at 1:11 PM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Well, when the money comes, and if it is still for sale, by all means get it. I hear you though. Priorities first.

19. Aug 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM
    nfs257

nfs257 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    She gone
    OH I WILL!!!!!!!

20. Aug 11, 2013 at 8:03 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Mark, you gonna head to San Antonio on Sep 21?

Products Discussed in

To Top