LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

TORSPD: NEVR

Old 02-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #1922
Clifford is one of the sharper tools in the shedClifford is one of the sharper tools in the shedClifford is one of the sharper tools in the shedClifford is one of the sharper tools in the shedClifford is one of the sharper tools in the shedClifford is one of the sharper tools in the shedClifford is one of the sharper tools in the shedClifford is one of the sharper tools in the shedClifford is one of the sharper tools in the shedClifford is one of the sharper tools in the shedClifford is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: bang bang
Name: Cliff
Clifford's Tacoma Gallery
time for complete axel swap?
Old 02-04-2014, 11:33 AM   #1923
Darthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Darthyota's Tacoma Gallery
did you ever look into the dimensions of the fj cruiser axle shafts?
Old 02-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #1924
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford View Post
time for complete axel swap?
Possibly. Maybe a Currie, since they already built one for the TRD XR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthyota View Post
did you ever look into the dimensions of the fj cruiser axle shafts?
I was told that they have a different part number from the Tacoma, by my contact at Toyota. But I do not have the specifics between the two. I think that I also read recently that there is a difference, from a link recently posted in this thread.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:58 PM   #1925
Darthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Darthyota's Tacoma Gallery
If you do a complete axle swap for 9s and 8.8s are dirt cheap and lots of aftermarket support and are fairly strong with out tons of weight
Old 02-07-2014, 06:52 AM   #1926
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
3rd member back and ready to go in. Had KP Racing, here in Houston, do the install. $180 installed.

Also might have a new lead on a company that will make the custom axle shafts. Need to give them a call. Here is a cool fact that was learned through this process though.

When I was up at KP Racing, picking up my 3rd member, I saw a twisted axle shaft. The splines had been twisted off at the drag strip, during an obviously hard launch. We busted out the calipers, took measurements, then I compared them to the measurements of the Tacoma axle.

That car was making about 950 whp and similar torque. That car was a Shelby GT500, and the axles were stock. Our 2nd Gen Tacoma axles have a slightly larger bearing OD and slightly thinner shaft OD. And I am talking thousandths.

That means that as long as I don't drag race, mine will hold some pretty serious power. I still want stronger ones though.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #1927
Clifford is one of the sharper tools in the shedClifford is one of the sharper tools in the shedClifford is one of the sharper tools in the shedClifford is one of the sharper tools in the shedClifford is one of the sharper tools in the shedClifford is one of the sharper tools in the shedClifford is one of the sharper tools in the shedClifford is one of the sharper tools in the shedClifford is one of the sharper tools in the shedClifford is one of the sharper tools in the shedClifford is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: bang bang
Name: Cliff
Clifford's Tacoma Gallery
Nice man, one more piece to the puzzle completed.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:05 PM   #1930
Atleast it wasn't Green!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: SGT, Cannon Crew Member, A Btry 1-148th FA
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Did you stick with 3.73's?
Old 02-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #1931
yota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: E.J.
yota243's Tacoma Gallery
Shelby in particular, but im not opposed to any pics of carnage u got
Old 02-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #1933
Atleast it wasn't Green!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Same old stock 3.73's. They work out quite well with how the overall gearing is.
Yeah I'd believe it. Plus with the power you are going to be pushing if you go lower you may just be more prone to wheel spin at lower speeds.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:37 PM   #1936
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
So mark. Lets say I have a friend with an Evo. And he's upgrading his turbo and said he'd give me his stock turbo.

Lets say I'd take and Mid mount the turbo so I don't need new manifolds, internal waste gate so don't have to worry about that, manual boost controller(aka a needle valve) so don't have to worry about a new Ecu or anything, and only run like 4-5psi so won't need an intercooler either.

Won't need bigger injectors or fuel pump or anything with that low of boost too.

Pretty simple actually. Just gotta put a sandwich plate between the oil filter to get the oil feed line and find somewhere to return it too and plumb the intake up and a couple vacuum lines and it'd be done.

Does that all sound like a decent plan that would work or am I missing something ?
Old 02-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #1937
Atleast it wasn't Green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
So mark. Lets say I have a friend with an Evo. And he's upgrading his turbo and said he'd give me his stock turbo.

Lets say I'd take and Mid mount the turbo so I don't need new manifolds, internal waste gate so don't have to worry about that, manual boost controller(aka a needle valve) so don't have to worry about a new Ecu or anything, and only run like 4-5psi so won't need an intercooler either.

Won't need bigger injectors or fuel pump or anything with that low of boost too.

Pretty simple actually. Just gotta put a sandwich plate between the oil filter to get the oil feed line and find somewhere to return it too and plumb the intake up and a couple vacuum lines and it'd be done.

Does that all sound like a decent plan that would work or am I missing something ?
Old 02-24-2014, 05:53 AM   #1938
Tor-nication
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post

It could work. Here's the thing though, that turbo is sized for a 2.0L engine. So it will spool near instantaneously. It will be boosting while you are cruising between 60-80. Somewhere in there.

By the size of the turbine inlet, which I don't know what it is, but have confidence that it will be a T3 tops, that will be a restriction. Not to mention the turbine A/R will be a low # and thus be another restriction, when combined with the inlet size.

Being internally wastegated does save you space, which is very handy down there in that location. You will have to size the intake tubing from the turbo accordingly, so as not to have a large loss of velocity by the time it reaches the engine.

You can try without an intercooler, but I don't recommend it. You will have to watch your IAT's with a Scangauge2 or Ultragauge, and that will let you know if you really need one, for such low boost. You likely will.

A sandwich plate is a good source for the feed. You will need a pump to push the oil back into the engine. Possibly a check valve as well, to prevent back flow into the turbo, after shut off.

Do the FPR mod, and you'll have enough fuel to get you by, without an aftermarket EMS. Or, get the TRD reflash, with TRD injectors, and be more than adequate.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:46 AM   #1939
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm. There isn't any TRD injectors for a 4cyl AFAIK and was trying to keep this as low cost as possible so FPR mod would be likely.

Not really lookin for much performance gains. Really just want it to say I have a boosted 4cyl taco lol.

Hmmm. Does seen like it'd be a relatively simple install tho.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:52 AM   #1940
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Think Mark assumes you have a 4.0.

Products Discussed in this Thread