Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

TORSPD: NEVR

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
TORSPD: NEVR

I decided to do this build thread, to share with every one here, all of the good, bad, and ugly I have been through. Learned more than ever though I would over the years, about this truck, and cars in general.

This build has humble me, excited me, made me friends, and even a girlfriend. It has also caused A LOT of stress and heart ache.

This is my NEVR give in and NEVR give up build.

'06 4.0. Ordered it and there wasn't one in the outlining states or Texas. Had to have it special ordered. Nothing special. Just a 6-speed 4x4, SR5, but everything else was basic. Didn't feel like paying for things when I was already going to be modding it just as soon as I could.

No pictures of it base, but here it is 2-3 months after I got it.

At the time, I was the first person in the city of Houston, with the ProComp 6" Coilover lift kit.

^^^ 2006. vvv 2014

Old 02-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good. What part of Houston you from?
Old 02-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
Petrol head
RenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sloan
RenoTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Wheres teh turbo?
Old 02-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
First 2 years of its life, was nearly every weekend at Spring Creek. Doing some form or another of off roading. If I can ever recover the files I have on my other crashed computer, I will have even more to share.

Basically, I came to a fork in the road. DynaTrac SAS, or Rear Mount turbo. That is pretty much where this build, and the learning began.

So one day, I decided to do the rear mount setup from STS. It had just come out for the '05+ Tacoma, and I was going to be #5 to have it.

This is the turbo that came with the STS kit.

Took a lot of work to get that kit installed. The instructions were lacking certain necessary specifics, and there were some hoses that were too short.

Here is one issue we cam across that wasn't mentioned in the instructions.

This bolt wouldn't go through their "cat-back" pipe.

Not to worry. Grinder solved it....

Then we found that the spring was too long now...

So again, we fixed it....

Old 02-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
Tor-nication
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
This is the oil pressure warning alarm, and Hi/Low oil return switch.

Since you have to have a pump to push the oil back to the motor from the turbo, if the return oil pressure got over 3 psi, it would sound the alarm. VERY loud.

If the alarm went off, then that meant that there would also be a large cloud of smoke behind you. Lol.

Here you can see the oil feed line, next to the filter, as well as remnants of life off road.

Intercooler

And how it first looked before I put the piece of crap "snorkle" they sent, on.

They didn't even send some form of dump tube for the wastegate. Shame..
Old 02-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
Tor-nication
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Installed the Walbro 255LPH that came with the kit. Apparently though, the enllightened people at STS felt that it wasn't necessary to add a filter back into the fuel system, minus the sock that comes with the pump. Brilliant... :/

Unlike URD that sends a filter to be placed in line as well.

Here is there addition to the PCV system.

Got it all installed including the Boost Gauge. Mind you at this point, I knew nothing about any form what soever, of tuning. Not even what an AFR gauge was.

With it all together, and UniChip installed, it was time for a test drive.....It wasn't good.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
Tor-nication
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
If anybody is wondering, this is a radiator hose by KillerGlass.

Some strong stuff to say the least.

Here is the link:

http://killerglass.com/component/opt...page/Itemid,1/

So, the Unichip wasn't working. I could drive, but as soon as I started to see the truck would buck violently, and the Check Engine Light would flash. Multiple misfire codes! STS swore that the UniChip was pre-programmed with the proper MAP, but might need a little fine tuning.

Other then that they said that there was nothing more that they could do. That pissed me off! So now I have a truck with a turbo kit on it, and I cannot accelerate to fast, or I might get a misfire.....WTF?

I called and spoke with Gadget at URD. After a fun and enlightening conversation with him, I ended up purchasing the MAP-Ecu2. He even wired in the extension harness for me.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
Tor-nication
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
From then, the only shop around that had experience with the Map-Ecu2 was a shop NorthWest of Fort Worth. Power House Racing.

I also learned that I needed larger injectors because the factory ones that are, I think 330 ccm, would not be near sufficient for the 5-6 psi that the kit was supposed to do.

I did a little research, and got in contact with a company called RC Engineering. With their information, I settled on a set of 550 ccm High Impedence injectors.

I also learned at that point, that a 330 ccm can handle approx. 300 crank hp; 440 - 400 crank hp, 550 - 500 crank hp, etc...On a 4.0 litre motor. At static fuel pressure of 43.5 PSI. Very important!

Early Saturday morning at Power House. That was a very cool day, to say the least!

Old 02-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
Tor-nication
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
At the tip of the injectors, you can see how it is not a smooth tip. It has a machined out section, as if an O-ring goes there. Well with the way ours are setup to work, the tips of the OEM injectors are smooth. They fit tight and secure in what is called an insulator. Basically a thick rubber washer.

Well being that these RC Injectors have a machined out portion, a major problem ended up presenting itself. I was having a vacuum leak around each injector, where they rest in the lower intake plenum. Being still new to the game at that point, it took me a while to figure that out. Needless to say, heat shrink was my temporary fix to see if it would help fix the leak or not. It did, then I ended up using JB Weld to fill it in and make them nice and smooth.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #16
Tor-nication
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
That dyno was done with the Doug Thorley Long Tube headers (Gen 1), and the OEM y-pipe.

In my thirst for more power and increased efficiency, I ordered the URD 4x4 Y-Pipe. Then went for a second dyno.

No video of that unfortunately. But the numbers were 322whp, and 422wtq. Same PSI of boost as before. But, it was done in 4th gear this that time.

Post from shortly after it was done.

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ad.php?t=20856

One problem that plagued me with the rear mount kit was gasket leaks. I could not stop them....Until I found out about V-Band flanges. Before that though, I had a set of Copper Crush gaskets made. In the hopes that they would seal better, and not blow out like the factory crush gaskets between the header to y-pipe.

The leaking gaskets, drove me near crazy!
Old 02-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #18
Tor-nication
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
I any body has the ProComp 6" lift, you might run into this issue that I had when I installed the URD Y-pipe. Due to the drop down bracket, the y-pipe no longer had room to clear the front drive shaft. So I had to remove the drive shaft.

Well wanting to be able to drive in 4x4, I found an exhaust shop. By no means were they good. This was the end result, of adding in an extension, so I could put the driveshaft back on. Yuck....

Old 02-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #19
Super Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Grayson
Super Black Taco's Tacoma Gallery

Products Discussed in this Thread