1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First taco build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Tacomasapper, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Feb 20, 2012 at 3:35 AM
    Tacomasapper

Tacomasapper [OP] Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    11 base model 4x4
    debadged, DIY tail light tinting mod, DIY brake light tinting mod
    I'm new to the site, owned my taco since December of 2010, brand new 2011 taco base model as you can get. After owning for a little over a year was starting to look at making some modifications . I know what I want, just need to find the right pieces for it, if you know of any sites to purchase headlights and other after market items please put a url I can go to. but this is a list of what I will be changing (keep in mind I am military and don't plan on any rough riding just getting the truck to the way i want it to look.)

Rough country 3" suspension lift
    T-Rex black mesh grille with chrome emblem of personal choice
    MKW OFFROAD M85 15' wheels(haven't found tires yet)

That's all I have picked out so far, do have some taillights picked out but the website I used to pick out 2 of the 3 mods didn't have any headlights for my year model of the taco (i used http://www.carid.com )

If you know of a conversion kit to have older year headlights to work with a 2011, it would be much appreciated since the headlights I want are for a 2010 taco. Also any other sites with more taco mods would be awesome.

2. Feb 20, 2012 at 7:20 AM
    Eagledynasty

Eagledynasty The White Knight

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Worcester, MassHole
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White DoubleCab Off-Road
    2009 SWDC O/R. Check Build!
    Welcome to TW man! You should post some pics of the truck so we can!
    As for the mods, be very careful with aftermarket headlights cause they all suck haha. Have you ever heard of BHLM? a 2010 headlight will fit your 2011 truck, same design, the years you need to stay away from are 2004 and older and 2012's have some small different features then the rest of the second gens which are years 2005-2011 and 12 give or take. for your lift, try out toyteclifts.com or down south motor sports. There are other parts at places like toyota parts barn. As for mods this IS the site for taco mods. Look at peoples build pages for ideas, you'll see a lot

3. Feb 20, 2012 at 7:43 AM
    Tacomasapper

Tacomasapper [OP] Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    11 base model 4x4
    I will be putting up more pictures of my taco when I get home on my mid tour leave, put up the only picture I have on this computer which is from the day I picked it up from the dealership, no modification have been made at all yet.

162673_477973111300_500191300_6426821_7155547_n.jpg

4. Feb 20, 2012 at 7:57 AM
    ortlie09

ortlie09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    11 Reg Cab 4x4
    Debadged, took off front mud flaps, prevent tailgate theft mod, Magnaflow 18" muffler, Bilstein 5100s front and rear w/ front @1.75, wet okoles, plasi dipped front emblem, weathertechs, scangauge, toolbox, Bed pocket lights, BHLM, T1 eyelids, BAMF sliders, Bruteforce Fab rear bumper
    Not super sure but I'm pretty sure I've read that 15' wheels don't work on a second gen. But welcome to tw!

5. Feb 20, 2012 at 8:12 AM
    Tacomasapper

Tacomasapper [OP] Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    11 base model 4x4
    it showed that they do, but for not for my particular trim option it being a base model, either that or Carid is full of crap.

6. Feb 20, 2012 at 8:46 AM
    ortlie09

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    11 Reg Cab 4x4
    Debadged, took off front mud flaps, prevent tailgate theft mod, Magnaflow 18" muffler, Bilstein 5100s front and rear w/ front @1.75, wet okoles, plasi dipped front emblem, weathertechs, scangauge, toolbox, Bed pocket lights, BHLM, T1 eyelids, BAMF sliders, Bruteforce Fab rear bumper
    I have the base model as well and I know I can't run 15's. You 4x4 or 4x2?

7. Feb 20, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    Tacomasapper

Tacomasapper [OP] Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    11 base model 4x4
    i have a 4x4

8. Feb 20, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    ortlie09

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    11 Reg Cab 4x4
    Yeah you're not gonna be able to get 15's. If I remember right I believe its something with the 6x5.5 bolt pattern. I believe it rubs the break caliper or something...maybe someone who is more informed could chip in

9. Feb 21, 2012 at 8:44 AM
    Tacomasapper

Tacomasapper [OP] Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    11 base model 4x4
    Well after thinking about it for a while, and contemplating the possibilities here is the first set of mods I will be doing when I get home on mid tour leave, will post a lot of pictures of the before during and after of it. I am going to wait on putting the lift and new wheels on the truck until after I am back from deployment, found on http://www.suspensionconnection.com a tuff country 6" full lift kit for a little over $1000, I will have to run 17" wheels but can have up to a 33" tire put on it, so I'm thinking about going that direction with it. haven't really found the right wheels just yet, but still have a fair few months to find them.

IRON CROSS 3" tube steps, matte black
    Wenston Ultimate bull bar with license plate re-locator and possibly some off-road lights on it.
    T-REX upper class black mesh grille with a skull grille badge(scuffing and repaint matte black)
    and the DIY modifications to my current headlights and taillights that I found in the forums(if anyone has had bad experience with these will be nice to know before I do it, and what I can do to prevent it.)

I may put fog lights in the factory locations for them, and wondering because i have the 2.7L 4 cyl. engine if there is an exhaust out there that wont have my truck sounding like a pissed off weed eater rice burner.

Products Discussed in

To Top