1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Kavik's She-Devil Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Kavik, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Jul 7, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    Kavik

Kavik [OP] Kavik

Member:
    Texas, DFW
    Vehicle:
    Not your everday 5 lug
    Lowered: 3 inch drop blocks (Beefed Taco),Satoshi Grill, Morimoto bi-xenon H1 Retrofitted headlights, Flowmaster exhaust, Blue LED interior and exterior, blue LED dome light, Anzo black LED taillights, Hifonics Brutus 1100w Mono Block, Bazooka 300w Amp, LED license plate lights. Lifited: Fat Bob's rear shocks, Fat Bob's 3" spacer and rear AAL, Nitto Terragrapplers, weldertaco wrap around rear tube bumper, TrailWorx Fab tube front bumper
    I got one from river rat 69 and the paint started to chip away after 3 months plus he used cheap ass mesh, so I decided to pick up a speedway blue grille that a gril was selling for 50 bucks (a rock went straight through the center of her grille) and started cutting, sanding, and fiberglassing. I just need some mesh and a lil more Bondo to fill in a couple spots and it will be good for paint!

2. Jul 7, 2013 at 10:48 AM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Good luck with the glass.
    I had trouble getting it to stick on mine. No matter how much I roughed up the surface, after a week of curing, I could still easily peel it off... very little adhesion.

I poked around online, and all of the ricer body mod guys were saying that you can not effectively bond glass to ABS... it needs to be plastic-welded (which is what Homertaco does), or the original needs to be modified using structural foam or polyester layups, then a mold made from that and a completely new part fabricated from 100% glass using the mold.

I went with a happy medium. I picked up some ABS sheet at a local hobby shop and used plumbers ABS cement to weld it together. It is a solvent process and as solid as welding. I used enough to soften the added ABS sheets to be able to bend them to better fit the contours and reduce the amount of Bondo needed.

So far, it's been on for over 6 months and I've encountered no cracking at all. Couple of minor dings in the paint, but I've got that on the surround and hood as well... the part I painted with white Krylon Fusion is in no worse shape than the rest.

Advise on Fusion for white trucks. It is a very good match and works fine for the inner part, but as with most rattle can jobs, it lacks the smooth gloss and "depth" needed for the surround. I bought a colormatched Super White grille so I didn't need to worry about paint on the surround.

3. Jul 7, 2013 at 11:28 AM
    Kavik

Kavik [OP] Kavik

Member:
    Texas, DFW
    Vehicle:
    Not your everday 5 lug
    Lowered: 3 inch drop blocks (Beefed Taco),Satoshi Grill, Morimoto bi-xenon H1 Retrofitted headlights, Flowmaster exhaust, Blue LED interior and exterior, blue LED dome light, Anzo black LED taillights, Hifonics Brutus 1100w Mono Block, Bazooka 300w Amp, LED license plate lights. Lifited: Fat Bob's rear shocks, Fat Bob's 3" spacer and rear AAL, Nitto Terragrapplers, weldertaco wrap around rear tube bumper, TrailWorx Fab tube front bumper
    Hmmm seems the fiber glass is holding up pretty well, I mean it is just used to patch the sides, the rest of it should be pretty solid, I guess the true test will be on the truck against Texas heat.

4. Jul 7, 2013 at 11:53 AM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Heat and vibration. Heat will be more of a problem on a black truck.

There's a lot of people selling Satoshi grilles using fiberglass, but we don't see many long-term reports. Homer has been making them forever and a good number of what you see on the forum are his.

5. Jul 7, 2013 at 6:15 PM
    Kavik

Kavik [OP] Kavik

Member:
    Texas, DFW
    Vehicle:
    Not your everday 5 lug
    Switched to Castrol Oil Synthetic today. Ramps made it super easy this time.

[​IMG]

Also messed around by starting to build a fiberglass enclosure today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Jul 7, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 4x2 reg cab / 12 4x4 double cab
    **Afe cold air intake w/pro dry filter, Yellow tint fogs, Daytime running lights, led dome light, led license plate lights, Led tail lights, 3 inch carbon antenna, spec d projector headlights, carbon fiber look interior trim pieces, Djm control arms, Djm notch, 4x4 leaf springs, beefed taco 2 inch blocks with offset pin, Rear Qa1 Shocks, Sittin sic stock height coils, x runner bilstein front shocks, weathertech digital fit floor mats, debadged.
    What's the enclosure for?

7. Jul 7, 2013 at 7:02 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Bait bucket?

8. Jul 7, 2013 at 7:07 PM
    Kavik

Kavik [OP] Kavik

Member:
    Texas, DFW
    Vehicle:
    Not your everday 5 lug
    Its just a speaker box, you will see when it is done.

9. Jul 7, 2013 at 7:09 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Going in the corner of the bed for tailgating I assume?

10. Jul 7, 2013 at 7:24 PM
    Kavik

Kavik [OP] Kavik

Member:
    Texas, DFW
    Vehicle:
    Not your everday 5 lug
    Thinking about it, this is the test run.

11. Jul 7, 2013 at 8:44 PM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    **Afe cold air intake w/pro dry filter, Yellow tint fogs, Daytime running lights, led dome light, led license plate lights, Led tail lights, 3 inch carbon antenna, spec d projector headlights, carbon fiber look interior trim pieces, Djm control arms, Djm notch, 4x4 leaf springs, beefed taco 2 inch blocks with offset pin, Rear Qa1 Shocks, Sittin sic stock height coils, x runner bilstein front shocks, weathertech digital fit floor mats, debadged.
    Sweet! I wanna make a custom box for behind my seat!

12. Jul 8, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    Phil Dammit

Phil Dammit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    4.5/5.5 drop, DJM arms, QA1 coilovers, 6lug leafs, QA1 18-way, rear swaybar, Batwing Big brakes, high flow cat, indy/hurst shifter, memphis amps, focal 3-ways, Eclipse AV unit, SunDown 10" custom box, TRD bucket swap.
    Yeup that's a massive spacer, interesring That they did it it if mild steel and not aluminum. Your ride needs mo lowerdz, notch and QA1 adjustables up front:D

So you can be like dis

uploadfromtaptalk1373302021636.jpg

13. Jul 8, 2013 at 10:00 AM
    Kavik

Kavik [OP] Kavik

Member:
    Texas, DFW
    Vehicle:
    Not your everday 5 lug
    I wonder if that mild steel will be a problem, but I agree that I need to be lower, are the adjustable QA1s out yet? I need to head over to XRU to see.

14. Jul 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    4.5/5.5 drop, DJM arms, QA1 coilovers, 6lug leafs, QA1 18-way, rear swaybar, Batwing Big brakes, high flow cat, indy/hurst shifter, memphis amps, focal 3-ways, Eclipse AV unit, SunDown 10" custom box, TRD bucket swap.
    Not yet and they could possibly seize.... I can't wait to get the Qs so I can take off my spacers:D. Why haven you comitted to lowerz?

15. Jul 8, 2013 at 1:11 PM
    Kavik

Kavik [OP] Kavik

Member:
    Texas, DFW
    Vehicle:
    Not your everday 5 lug
    Mainly because this truck is my DD and if I were to fuck up the notch, I would be in some trouble, plus the roads are not very lowered truck friendly out here.

16. Jul 8, 2013 at 1:34 PM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    That sucks

17. Jul 8, 2013 at 2:13 PM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Its impossible to mess up a djm notch. Lol they got stencils and everything :)

18. Jul 8, 2013 at 2:44 PM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    This is true, but I did weld in. So mines mo coola ;)

19. Jul 8, 2013 at 4:11 PM
    Kavik

Kavik [OP] Kavik

Member:
    Texas, DFW
    Vehicle:
    Not your everday 5 lug
    But I really want it to be boxed and I am kinda surprised the DJM one isn't. But we will see what happens down the road. I will notch one day. Lol

20. Jul 20, 2013 at 5:43 PM
    Kavik

Kavik [OP] Kavik

Member:
    Texas, DFW
    Vehicle:
    Not your everday 5 lug

Products Discussed in

To Top