Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Kavik's Black&White Build.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #122
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rylan
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquez808 View Post
Make me a satoshi! I'm not happy with mine from one of the members I won't say names lol
I got one from river rat 69 and the paint started to chip away after 3 months plus he used cheap ass mesh, so I decided to pick up a speedway blue grille that a gril was selling for 50 bucks (a rock went straight through the center of her grille) and started cutting, sanding, and fiberglassing. I just need some mesh and a lil more Bondo to fill in a couple spots and it will be good for paint!
Old 07-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #123
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck with the glass.
I had trouble getting it to stick on mine. No matter how much I roughed up the surface, after a week of curing, I could still easily peel it off... very little adhesion.

I poked around online, and all of the ricer body mod guys were saying that you can not effectively bond glass to ABS... it needs to be plastic-welded (which is what Homertaco does), or the original needs to be modified using structural foam or polyester layups, then a mold made from that and a completely new part fabricated from 100% glass using the mold.

I went with a happy medium. I picked up some ABS sheet at a local hobby shop and used plumbers ABS cement to weld it together. It is a solvent process and as solid as welding. I used enough to soften the added ABS sheets to be able to bend them to better fit the contours and reduce the amount of Bondo needed.

So far, it's been on for over 6 months and I've encountered no cracking at all. Couple of minor dings in the paint, but I've got that on the surround and hood as well... the part I painted with white Krylon Fusion is in no worse shape than the rest.

Advise on Fusion for white trucks. It is a very good match and works fine for the inner part, but as with most rattle can jobs, it lacks the smooth gloss and "depth" needed for the surround. I bought a colormatched Super White grille so I didn't need to worry about paint on the surround.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #124
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm seems the fiber glass is holding up pretty well, I mean it is just used to patch the sides, the rest of it should be pretty solid, I guess the true test will be on the truck against Texas heat.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #125
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Heat and vibration. Heat will be more of a problem on a black truck.

There's a lot of people selling Satoshi grilles using fiberglass, but we don't see many long-term reports. Homer has been making them forever and a good number of what you see on the forum are his.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #126
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Switched to Castrol Oil Synthetic today. Ramps made it super easy this time.

Also messed around by starting to build a fiberglass enclosure today.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #128

Bait bucket?
Old 07-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #130

Going in the corner of the bed for tailgating I assume?
Old 07-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #131
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Going in the corner of the bed for tailgating I assume?
Thinking about it, this is the test run.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #133
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Phil Dammit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavik View Post
Alright, here is a different angle.

Yeup that's a massive spacer, interesring That they did it it if mild steel and not aluminum. Your ride needs mo lowerdz, notch and QA1 adjustables up front

So you can be like dis
Attached Thumbnails
Kavik's Black&White Build.-uploadfromtaptalk1373302021636.jpg  
Old 07-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #134
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Dammit View Post
Yeup that's a massive spacer, interesring That they did it it if mild steel and not aluminum. Your ride needs mo lowerdz, notch and QA1 adjustables up front

So you can be like dis
I wonder if that mild steel will be a problem, but I agree that I need to be lower, are the adjustable QA1s out yet? I need to head over to XRU to see.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #135
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I wonder if that mild steel will be a problem, but I agree that I need to be lower, are the adjustable QA1s out yet? I need to head over to XRU to see.
Not yet and they could possibly seize.... I can't wait to get the Qs so I can take off my spacers. Why haven you comitted to lowerz?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #136
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Dammit View Post
Not yet and they could possibly seize.... I can't wait to get the Qs so I can take off my spacers. Why haven you comitted to lowerz?
Mainly because this truck is my DD and if I were to fuck up the notch, I would be in some trouble, plus the roads are not very lowered truck friendly out here.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #137
Peanut butter mini time

Quote:
Mainly because this truck is my DD and if I were to fuck up the notch, I would be in some trouble, plus the roads are not very lowered truck friendly out here.
That sucks
Old 07-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #139
Peanut butter mini time

Quote:
Its impossible to mess up a djm notch. Lol they got stencils and everything
This is true, but I did weld in. So mines mo coola
Old 07-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #140
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Its impossible to mess up a djm notch. Lol they got stencils and everything
But I really want it to be boxed and I am kinda surprised the DJM one isn't. But we will see what happens down the road. I will notch one day. Lol