Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

They fixed my Maxima build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2012, 01:58 AM   #22
n00b waffle
mutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mutilatedjak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvTEA View Post
Nice truck man!! Great pics!
Thanks!

update,
Got some lightforce 170's on the front, cant wait to test em out this weekend
Old 08-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #23
n00b waffle
mutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ARB install

I just defended my thesis, and as a gift to myself, an awesome ARB bumper woot!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #24
OneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud of

OneMentalCase's Tacoma Gallery
Sick bumper! Great build thread! Keep the pics and videos in paradise coming! Just curious what your thesis was about??
Old 08-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #25
n00b waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMentalCase View Post
Sick bumper! Great build thread! Keep the pics and videos in paradise coming! Just curious what your thesis was about??
now that my thesis is all done I plan on doing more work on my truck and getting out on the dirt more!

my thesis is the DEVELOPMENT OF HIGH-PERFORMANCE NANORESINS EMPLOYING GRAPHENE NANOSHEETS AND CARBON NANOTUBES

in short, I assume you know of carbon fiber, a compposite made from carbon and epoxy, out of the two, the epoxy is the weak part, one way to make the system stronger is by starting with the weakest part, so I mix in nanoparticles, such as graphene and carbon nanotubes, which strengthens the epoxy, thus making the entire carbon fiber composite stronger

dont worry its as unsexy and nerdy as the title makes it seem heh heh
Old 08-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #26
OneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud of

OneMentalCase's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedjak View Post
now that my thesis is all done I plan on doing more work on my truck and getting out on the dirt more!

my thesis is the DEVELOPMENT OF HIGH-PERFORMANCE NANORESINS EMPLOYING GRAPHENE NANOSHEETS AND CARBON NANOTUBES

in short, I assume you know of carbon fiber, a compposite made from carbon and epoxy, out of the two, the epoxy is the weak part, one way to make the system stronger is by starting with the weakest part, so I mix in nanoparticles, such as graphene and carbon nanotubes, which strengthens the epoxy, thus making the entire carbon fiber composite stronger

dont worry its as unsexy and nerdy as the title makes it seem heh heh

Glad your defense of the thesis went well! We got to enjoy in the pics/build of the new bumper!! Will watch the thread for more pics now that you have a little more time!
Old 09-05-2012, 01:10 AM   #27
n00b waffle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dccud...ature=youtu.be

did some mods to my truck today, all pro rear leafs, cranking my kings up a bit, and installing camburg UCA's

and a little gopro action to document
Old 09-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #28
n00b waffle

latest mods

Here are my most recent mods....
Relentless sliders...woot!

Old 09-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #29
n00b waffle

exhaust chop

Old 09-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #30
n00b waffle

sway bar delete

I also removed the sway bar and the truck rides sooo much better. It is smoother over every bump, sure a little more sway in the corners, but with the quality rear leaf pack and my front King CO's dialed up a bit it feels really planted. Plus when I took the truck in the dirt, there are a few sections on the trail where I normally get a tire in the air, and because I dont have lockers yet, I have to back up and get some momentum to clear. Not anymore! the flex is real nice, all the tires stay planted.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #31
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
is there a right up on how you connected the front mount camera to the rearview mirror?
Old 09-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #32
n00b waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma16 View Post
is there a right up on how you connected the front mount camera to the rearview mirror?
I havnt seen one before. I found the wiring diagram to the rear view mirror (i will have to dig for the link) and I found the video signal wire. I then cut it, and added in a switch to swap between the front video feed and the back video feed. You also need to do the any time back up camera mod, because a front cam doesn't do you much good if you can only have it on in reverse heh heh

the switch has 2 positions and three tabs. The center tab is the video feed to the mirror and the switch just picks which camera signal to send to the mirror
Old 09-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #33
n00b waffle

Quote:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ra-switch.html

bottom of the first post, connecter IP1...pin 7, and in the picture it is labeled V+ for positive video signal wire. I think that is the one I cut... but im not 100% sure. I am still trying to find the original references I used.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #34
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I havnt seen one before. I found the wiring diagram to the rear view mirror (i will have to dig for the link) and I found the video signal wire. I then cut it, and added in a switch to swap between the front video feed and the back video feed. You also need to do the any time back up camera mod, because a front cam doesn't do you much good if you can only have it on in reverse heh heh

the switch has 2 positions and three tabs. The center tab is the video feed to the mirror and the switch just picks which camera signal to send to the mirror
Wow thanks for all of this, really appreciate it. I have been looking for something like this to do, but everyone does it with a alpine head unit or something. Just a few questions/clarifications though

1.So i would have the anytime backup camera (abc) switch in the offf position, then i would turn the switch you have in the diagram to the front cam, and then front cam video appears?

Quote:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ra-switch.html

bottom of the first post, connecter IP1...pin 7, and in the picture it is labeled V+ for positive video signal wire. I think that is the one I cut... but im not 100% sure. I am still trying to find the original references I used.
2.)How is the front camera powered? is it from the the connectors you have posted or is that connector the video wire?
Old 09-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #35
n00b waffle

Quote:
Wow thanks for all of this, really appreciate it. I have been looking for something like this to do, but everyone does it with a alpine head unit or something. Just a few questions/clarifications though

1.So i would have the anytime backup camera (abc) switch in the offf position, then i would turn the switch you have in the diagram to the front cam, and then front cam video appears?

Nope, you need to turn the anytime switch on, which powers up the screen and rear cam. Then you hit the second switch to swap to the front cam

2.)How is the front camera powered? is it from the the connectors you have posted or is that connector the video wire?
that is only the positive video wire in my pic. The negative wire was spliced to the negative of the video input to the mirror, denoted by the -V in the wiring diagram I linked to. I ran the power for it through the fire wall and did an add a fuse. Since the power is 12v you could hook it directly to the battery or an aux fuse block or wherever. Another key which I learned the hard way (cost was $15 for a cheap cam so not that bad) but reverse cameras send a reverse image. So if you use a back up/reverse cam for the front,image will be reversed. They sell cams with the option to cut a wire and have a normal image

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
That is the camera I got. Works well!
Old 09-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #36
n00b waffle

I am doing some more electrical work on my truck soon so I can double check and take pics of the wiring I did. Would be better than my ms paint schematic heh heh
Old 09-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #37

super thanks for all the info. Subd for any other info
Old 10-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #38
n00b waffle

On board air set up ARB

I have had my twin ARB compressor sitting in my closet for 6 months and I finally had the chance to install it.

I started by making an aluminum bracket to hold the water separator/filter

Then I attached the bracket to the 2 gallon Firestone tank

I mounted the tank under the AC plug cubby under the bed.

Then I bolted the compressor under the bed where the spare goes. I think there is enough clearance to put the spare back if I want...

Bolts through the bed which attach to the ARB compressor bracket

Here you can see some of the plumbing and my manifold. I have a blow off valve, gauge, line to inside the cab for a gauge, connection to the tank, and the output to a quick disconnect.

Here is my airline connection. Tucked away from trail damage. Once I get an after market bumper I will relocate the connection.

I know you want to keep DC lines as short as possible, but I just couldnt find a good spot to mount it in the engine bay, hence why it is under the bed. So I had to run wires along the inside of the passenger frame rail and up into the engine bay, finally to my battery. I have the switch inside my glove box until I find a permanent mounting location. I did add split loom and ziptie all of the black airline up and out of the way (after I took pics)

Everything works great and I can fill up two tires with the amount in the tank (if the compressor is off) Even though I only have one connection for my airline to fill my tires, the orange ARB line is long enough to reach all of my tires from the back of my truck. I may add a thin aluminum splash guard just to protect the compressor a bit.

Now I just need to add in an ARB rear locker heh heh.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #39
n00b waffle

The U-bolts that came with my Alcans were too short for my current allpro leaf pack, so I ordered some grade 8 U bolts. They were slightly thicker than my current ones so I had to mill out the U bolt axle plate thingy to accommodate them.

Now my suspension is pretty much set, but then I see Icon has those bolt on hydro rear bumps... and I am tempted to sell my rear fox shocks so I can get some rear Kings to match my front CO's...what to do heh heh
Old 04-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #40
n00b waffle

Snorkel and Skid Install

Some new upgrades woot!

Safari really needs to make a snorkel for the 2nd gen tacomas...if FJ's get em, why dont we? I read through all of the threads and thought I was prepared but it still took a long time heh heh.

Like others have said, if you have the cruiser outfitters template, move the holes rearward by 0.5 in. I also didnt realize how much the front bottom corner of the snorkel dents into the sheet metal...granted I am not crying that much since I just cut a huge hole in my fender...heh. I have seen a few people who didnt have to trim any sheet metal from the engine bay..sadly I wasnt that lucky. I didnt need to cut into the crumple zone so all in all not bad.
crying at the holes

Final plumbing

Close up of the engine bay trim and so forth

Pau!

Relentless Skid plate action:

I still need to reroute my exhaust and get the 3rd skid

Overall the skids seem good, haven't bashed into anything yet, but when I do I will update. I will have to post pics of the welds later and get your opinions, I am not as up to speed on Al as I should be. It seems the bend radius's are the same on the Al ones as the steel ones...which worries me a little bit. All in all the product looks good, but you just have to wait longer than you would hope to get items from Eric (nothing new there heh).

Products Discussed in this Thread