Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

SAIRS 2012 S/W Longbed Sport Build

Old 05-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
SAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kelly
SAIRS's Tacoma Gallery
SAIRS 2012 S/W Longbed Sport Build

I went from a 2003 Acura CL Type S, with the 6 spd manual and factory navi. Let’s just say I went through hell with this car. It was a good car, but 3 accidents, a brazen mid-day douch-baggery key job from taillight to headlight. An engine that seized up on me that we found wasn’t the original engine at all (should be 260 hp), but a higher mileage, lesser horsepower motor from a salvaged 2000 Acura TL (225 hp). Yeah, I decided to go new this time so nobody could violate my ride.

To a Super White 2012 ToyotaTacoma, Double Cab Long bed, TRD Sport w/o Entune.

I wanted the stock sport wheels and was willing to put money down and wait for an order to come in from the factory. I went through my old manager at Karl Malone Toyota to buy it. I wanted a good deal for me and for him to make a bit of money too. I wanted to be $1000 over invoice. Well, being how it was the end of the month, they wanted to get a few more numbers and weren’t as concerned with gross profit on each sale. They had several Super White TRD Double Cab Long beds on the lot, but they all had the upgrade package, which I didn’t want to pay extra for since I was going to change the wheels out anyway. Besides, I didn’t care for the downgraded “upgrade” wheels. They wanted to make it simple for everyone, so they just sold me the truck at invoice cost. Well, it was snowing pretty bad anyhow, so…why not.

I test drove it with 4 miles on the odometer. By the time I got back to the lot, with a full tank of gas and washed, I had ten miles on it.

Purchased 2/29/12
Factory bed mat from Camelback Toyota (a TW Vendor)
Tailgate theft removal mod. Got my key clamp from AutoZone

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/27829-tailgate-theft-how-prevent.html

Lift arrives!

From Down South MotorSports
Icon Stage 1, Extended Travel
Total Chaos UCA’s
OME Dakar leaf pack

Received bushings for the OME Dakars from Wheelers Off-road.

Post lift, while waiting for wheels and tires

Wheels and Tires

From Discount Tire, I got a $60 rebate on everything plus a $300 trade in credit for my factory wheels and tires. They beat everyone on bottom line price. I only go through Discount. Everyone else is several hundreds of dollars higher.

18x9 XD Monsters

285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers

I immediately drove over to the Firestone Auto Care center and got the alignment done. I did the lifetime alignment program for just under $200. Upon arriving at Firestone (Two right hand turns, one left turn and one right hand turn again), the front mud flaps had rubbed all the way through in one spot from the new tires.

I discovered I needed to address the “taco” lean. The alignment shop could not get the driver side into spec. I raised the driver side about two inches. I like the stance better and I got the alignment in spec. One more alignment in a month and that lifetime alignment will have paid for itself.

From Truck Alterations, I bought a Pop N Lock and the Access Limited edition Tonneau cover. Customer service was good, but there were some hiccups on Access side getting the order out. It took a few extra days because they were short staffed. Things happen, but Truck Alterations went to bat for me and got on their case. Access threw in this cargo grabber hook thing that was a $30 value for free. You know Looney Toons with the hook that yanks people off the stage? Yeah…that type of thing.

Installed Pop N Lock – I need to see if I can mess with it more. The key is rather stiff when I turn it and it does not come out very well.

Installed Access Limited EditionTonneau Cover- Had some hiccups trying to remove the bolts that held in the factory rail system. You needed a Torx T-30 bit, which I had, but I think the bits I were using were crap quality. I couldn’t get them to budge on three bolts. I took it over to the dealership and he backed them right out. I went and bought some Craftsman drill bits after that…crappy Freight International garbage.

WeatherTech Digital Floormats

WeatherTech Window deflector, WeatherTech plate frame are one theway. Went through Scott at Truckaddons.com during the group buy which is saving me about $35.

Next on my list is some armor:
Maybe darker window tint up front
Venture shield (verysoon)
A tailgate reinforcement project (being built now)
Beefed Taco sliders forthe DCLB, with pivoting steps
Custom Beefed Taco rear tube bumper (hoping)
A beefy light bar... possibly Avid, but may do custom of some type through Brian.

Some Lightforce lights
Skid plates
I’d like some kind of metal lockbox to secure valuables in, maybe for the glove box?
Undercover swinging toolbox?

I have adjusted the front end so there isnt as much 60's muscle car rake to it. Will get photos up later.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #3
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
damn that truck looks freakin awsome... super white longbed ftw!!!
Old 05-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
INSTAGRAM: sytfu510
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Alex
sytfu510's Tacoma Gallery
great looking truck! DCLB Trd Sports ftw!
Old 05-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
SAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SAIRS's Tacoma Gallery
Moab Pics!

So I took it out on "Fins N Things" while at Moab. The trail was perfect for me as someone who hasnt done much offroading. Had a buddy there with a jeep cherokee that knew what he was doing. My tires were much better than his were. I climbed up stuff without effort, where he struggled sometimes to get a grip. I am blown away by what my truck was able to do.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
Policy Ninja
tango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
tango down's Tacoma Gallery
that is sick
Old 05-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
Pelfreybilt Off-Road
Socalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Socalduckslayer's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice job, truck is looking good, coming along nice. Damn I wish I lived closer to Moab
Old 05-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

great pics, going to have to hit up MOAB next year!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
SAIRS's Tacoma Gallery
Loved Moab! Fins N Things is right around the corner from Slickrock. There are some rediculous things on that trail. some of my friends from the trip took video cameras of me climbing some of this stuff. I'll try and get some of those posted soon. I was seriously blown away but what it could do even without having a locker. It was 80 degrees when we went. It couldnt have been better weather.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
SAIRS's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the comments guys. I have some unique mod ideas that I hope to have taken care of soon. I need to recover from this last go around though. I need to do something about some bed lights and maybe a rack of some kind that can help keep scuba gear from rolling around like crazy when I go.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #11
YukonLT is a glorious beacon of lightYukonLT is a glorious beacon of lightYukonLT is a glorious beacon of lightYukonLT is a glorious beacon of lightYukonLT is a glorious beacon of lightYukonLT is a glorious beacon of light
YukonLT's Tacoma Gallery
Love black rims on a white truck, just looks completely bad ass. My Taco is green and I'm looking at black rims for it and going for an "army" type theme. Your truck is awesome man
Old 05-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
Tacomatrd2010 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jimmy
Tacomatrd2010's Tacoma Gallery
truck looks sweet man!
Old 09-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #13
SAIRS's Tacoma Gallery
update...

So Mayhem strikes again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtP-S9OS0o0

Hit a deer going 65mph in the middle of nowhere. The deer’s hips hit the corner bumper. Insurance covered it under comprehensive which saved by butt.

Going off my luck with how the universe likes to bring mayhem to my vehicles….I used the insurance money and a little of my own to upgrade too….

Jason and the guys at Demello Offroad pumped this beauty out for me. I also got Acro fog lights hooked up. I added a TJM 9000 lb Stealth Winch.

Demello is also in the process of building me one of their bed lightbar to go with the Hi Lift mounts (see the link below). It is a custom job because the Access Limited soft tonneau moves the bed rail system out a bit, so they are going to make the bed bar shorter, which I will mount underneath the tonneau cover.

http://www.demello-offroad.com/catal...products_id=32

They also did a cab mount chop for me . I am getting hardly any rubbing from the Trail Grapplers now.

The guys in at Demello Offroad are amazing. their products are top notch and they are a great group of guys who know their stuff. The Porky's Pizza they had their was awesome too.

I have some other goods in the works as we speak. Sliders and a custom tube rear bumper....pics to come.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #14

Bumper looks great! Looking forward to seeing your future plans. Guess it worked out with the deer situation.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #15
Fightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fightman80's Tacoma Gallery
Nice rig man! The front ends on these 2012's look amazing! Sorry to hear about the deer hit... at least you got a nice plate bumper out of the deal though! I've recently gone through some B.S with a collision in my 98 4Runner. The darn garage botched the paint work once, and then offered to do extra work (for all my trouble), and botched that as well!! I managed to get things straightened out, but what a PITA!Anyway, glad it worked out for you!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #16
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Moar pics of the bumper? Please! Oh and btw love the SW nice build
Old 12-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #18
SAIRS's Tacoma Gallery
Beefed Taco Double Cab Long Bed sliders

I finally pulled together my custom DCLB sliders made by Brian(Beefed Taco). The bedside protection is a custom design that I came up with. Iwanted it to mimic the rear wheel well with the hope that it would flow withtruck. I also had him do a longer kickout on the slider. Normally the kickouthas enough space for a single support cross beam. I thought it wasnít asproportioned as well as it could be on the DCLB. His sliders have been builtfor the Access Cab and DC Short Beds which I think they look fine normally, butwith the DCLB model it is a longer slider and it just wasnít working for mewith the first prototype. I drove my truck from Utah to San Diego and left itwith Brian for a week while he worked on it. He also did a custom tube bumperthat I havenít gotten painted yet. I was to powder coat it, but it is huge andI donít know if there is a place that can powdercoat something as big as theback side of the truck. Iíll get that posted once I figure it all out.

Rear passenger door slider width

Front passenger side slider width

Old 08-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #19
xSJx is on a distinguished road
xSJx's Tacoma Gallery
who installed your lift?