Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

AW9D's B-W-B (Betty White Build)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
AW9D's B-W-B (Betty White Build)

Aw9díd B-W-B (Betty White Build)

I got my 2011 Tacoma DCSB Pre-Runner 2x4 on Nov 5th 2011. I drove it off the lot with 97miles on it. Here she is the day I got her. Had a TRD exhaust put on it at the dealer before I drove off the lot. It was one hell of a event to get this truck, but I got her and I'm happy.

How she currently sits today:

Now let the games begin.

The next day I bought the TRD intake (2nd Gen) and added some HIDís on the truck.

Intake: 2nd Gen TRD CAI. Iíve had no issues with this intake. After my first oil change I was getting a P0101 code but it turned out the dealership messed up the wiring harness somehow.

Decided to add a stubby antenna since I was always hitting the garage door when parking.

Blacked out the emblems: I used Plasti Derp the first time around and it was ok. I didnít feel like it would hold up very long. Later I took them off and spray painted them.

About a month later I decided to add the carbon fiber kit. I found this at www.carid.com. The kit is nice but I didnít know at the time you could buy each part individually so there are parts that I wouldnít of added if I had known about this. (Like the CD player trim since I was going to ditch it anyways).

Here is the kit:

And some pics after the install:

I see a smiley face!

Got a Bluetooth OBDII adapter and the Torque app for Android (Sorry iPhone guys, doesnít work on iOS) I run Android ICS on my HP touchpad, then it just sets here rather nice. Honestly this software is worth every penny. Best thing I have added to my truck.

Picked up a Devil Horn Hitch Cover from MetalMiller

Next I got in on the LED Group buy. These things are freaking crazy bright! During this time I did the map lights on with dome light mod. Itís hard to see in pictures but its bright as day in the cab with these leds.

Also came with free LED License plate lights:

Picked up 2 HID kids from DDM. Both are 35watts. The fogs are 3000k and the Headlights are 5000k. The scatter is horrible on the Tacoma headlight with LEDS so I will be doing a retro fit here soon. I also added Lamin-x yellow covers (If I did it again Iíd choose to paint vs. the covers).

For some reason the camera captures it as blue, but they are yellow.

Fogs Only:

Decided it was time to ditch the stock rims and I got a smoking deal thanks to 08pretaco!

Now stereo time!

Current Stereo setup:

HU: AVH3300BT
Sub AMP: Alpine PDX M6
Mid/High AMP: Rockford T400.4
Front Speakers: Focal 35th Anniversary 6.5's
Rear Speakers: Alpine Type-R 6.5 for now
Sub: Alpine Type-R 12 Shallow
Box: Home built (rebuilding box)
Wires: RCA: Stinger 6pair, 12g Monster wire to all speakers, 4g power/ground, 60amp monster circuit breaker.
Others: Fully sound deadening (except roof) in entire truck. Rear wall was done 2 times. (Rammaudio FTW)

Current Sub Box:

Relocated Amp under driver seat:

Current Amp Setup:

Using the Alpine Type-R 12 Shallow mount sub. It's a great sub, but I screwed up building the box so the next box is in the works.

Got a First Gen TRD intake: I ended up buying this intake to fix the ECU codes. Ended up selling this to another TW member (Moose1988) and it works fine on his truck. If I had to pick between the two, the 2nd Gen would be my choice.

The old one and the new one side by side.

Got a new grill, painted to match with billet inserts.

Random Pic

Then got some new LED's, went with UV and Red combo. The UV is much darker than this so I'll be swapping out for pink and white needles next.

Close to how it looks currently:

(Shot at the same time as above picture but we held shutter open for 10 seconds to make the light brighter)

Installed a AFE throttle body spacer as well. Thanks to Moose1988 got the hook up on it! I like the noise it makes, seems to be smoother rev's, but no extra power.

Installed a BlueSea fuse block and hooked up my first accessory. HID Spot lights (7inch). Also made a light bar mount as well. Very easy to do. I suggest using steel vs aluminium.

Also mocked up my first intake cover. I'm working on the final product later this week.

Took some of my rock light pods and mounted them under the hood to a switch so I can have some light at night. These things are wicked bright.
Pic was taken without a flash.

Just got a new 24inch light bar from SDHQ. 40 degree LED's on the outside and 10 degree on the inside.

Installed the light bar:

Well the Retro's are done. *I haven't adjusted them yet, but the cut off is pretty close from what I can tell. *

Installed the light bar to the lower and got the 7 inch HID spots back in.

http://youtu.be/GuTh8z10xN8

Painted the rear bumper thanks to Cbass38!!! Also painted my old grill while we were at it.

Bumper Installed:

That's all for now, more to come later!

Old 05-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Reserved for later
Old 05-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
That one guy

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Reserved as well.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good. You have been busy!
Old 05-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
"I'd Rather Live, Than Live Forever"
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
finally a build! good shit man!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
That one guy

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone! Just ordered the Alpine PDX-M6 today for my Sub. Should change up the sound quit a bit.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
TennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Phill Goodfactor
TennesseeFan76's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome build! Whats the chances you have any pics on how you made the mounts for the distribution block and components for under the seat? That is sick! Thanks for your help!
Old 06-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
That one guy

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeFan76 View Post
Awesome build! Whats the chances you have any pics on how you made the mounts for the distribution block and components for under the seat? That is sick! Thanks for your help!
I don't really have any good pic's of it off hand. (I'll look when I get home) But I drew you this crappy diagram

So what I did was cut a top piece of wood to fit the curves of the compartment which you can see from the pic's.

Then I cut two legs and cut out a big c-notch to hid the cables. Nailed those together and the legs go to the very bottom. Used some silicone on the bottom of the feet so it wouldn't rattle, and then just dropped it in. Ran the wires through the c-notch and then laid a bead of silicone around it to hold it in place. I'm going to be taking the amp rack out box and rebuilding them then wrap them in carbon fiber. I'll be taking that mount out as well so if I can't find pic's I'll snap you a few of how it looks and PM it to you.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #12
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
TennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Phill Goodfactor
TennesseeFan76's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
I don't really have any good pic's of it off hand. (I'll look when I get home) But I drew you this crappy diagram

So what I did was cut a top piece of wood to fit the curves of the compartment which you can see from the pic's.

Then I cut two legs and cut out a big c-notch to hid the cables. Nailed those together and the legs go to the very bottom. Used some silicone on the bottom of the feet so it wouldn't rattle, and then just dropped it in. Ran the wires through the c-notch and then laid a bead of silicone around it to hold it in place. I'm going to be taking the amp rack out box and rebuilding them then wrap them in carbon fiber. I'll be taking that mount out as well so if I can't find pic's I'll snap you a few of how it looks and PM it to you.
You the man! Thanks alot!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #13
qualitysound is a glorious beacon of lightqualitysound is a glorious beacon of lightqualitysound is a glorious beacon of lightqualitysound is a glorious beacon of lightqualitysound is a glorious beacon of lightqualitysound is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force: AMMO  I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.!!!
Name: Paul
qualitysound's Tacoma Gallery
If you replace the RF with another PDX you can stack them (they'll fit behind the seat stacked) and be able to add that second Type-R 12.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #14
That one guy

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I've been looking into that route but I am really happy with my RF T400.4 so far. Thanks for the tip that they stack and fit behind the seats ok.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
qualitysound is a glorious beacon of lightqualitysound is a glorious beacon of lightqualitysound is a glorious beacon of lightqualitysound is a glorious beacon of lightqualitysound is a glorious beacon of lightqualitysound is a glorious beacon of light
JL HDs will as well. Arc Minis and Massive's Nanos will too. Loads of options for that space. I haven't looked at the height but I'd bet you could do a DIY stack to free up some space.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #16
That one guy

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by qualitysound View Post
JL HDs will as well. Arc Minis and Massive's Nanos will too. Loads of options for that space. I haven't looked at the height but I'd bet you could do a DIY stack to free up some space.
You are right about stacking the amps. I bought another Alpine just to see if it would fit right, and it does.

But I wasn't impressed with the sound quality from the Alpine vs. the RF. The RF just is a power house.

I think I'm going to skip the second sub for now and buy fatmat and just do the entire cab with it before I get another sub. Plus I'm still not 100% happy with my box and am building a new one to get me from .60ft to 1.10ft.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:34 AM   #17
I can understand that. Power is never a bad thing.

Before you spend the money to deaden the entire truck, call Don at Sound Deadener Showdown. He'll put together a package for you that will do what you want and will be more effective that using a couple hundred pounds of deadener.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #18
That one guy

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by qualitysound View Post
I can understand that. Power is never a bad thing.

Before you spend the money to deaden the entire truck, call Don at Sound Deadener Showdown. He'll put together a package for you that will do what you want and will be more effective that using a couple hundred pounds of deadener.
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #19
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Phil Dammit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
You are right about stacking the amps. I bought another Alpine just to see if it would fit right, and it does.

But I wasn't impressed with the sound quality from the Alpine vs. the RF. The RF just is a power house.

I think I'm going to skip the second sub for now and buy fatmat and just do the entire cab with it before I get another sub. Plus I'm still not 100% happy with my box and am building a new one to get me from .60ft to 1.10ft.

You might want to look into purchasing these, http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/subs.php#db

I used to be a fan of POLK, then I grew up and discovered everything else. Then I rediscovered POLK becuase Im broke and dont have a lot of room in a reg cab.

I have one SVC 10" db that I bought from frys for 80 bucks new. Built the box in about 2 hours with roughly 1/2 a cubic foot and right around 300 watts going to it via my memphis. They fit almost like Shallow mounts and dont need a lot of power or qVas to pound.

My neighbor across the street verified this by wringing me via phone call from inside his house as I was retesting some wiring issues. So yes they bump good, not as clean as an ID, JL, Focal, or anything along those lines but better than an alpine.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #20
That one guy

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info on the Polks, I will look into them. I used to love Polk back in 1998-2000 range, but they went down hill for a few years if you ask me. Never really looked into them again so I'll take a peek and see what's up.

The alpine Type-R 12 shallow is 3.5 inches in depth and it hits pretty hard and wasn't very expensive at all.

I'd like to hear your sub sometime and see how it sounds.

Products Discussed in this Thread