Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Mountain Man Limousine-NativeTaco's Build

Old 06-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #41
Your NativeTaco is in the building
NativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
NativeTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I got the K&N in, super easy but good to get under the hood and do something for the taco. Doing the satoshi tomorrow (wish me luck). Got the FJ emblem and the grill mesh, plus I found two rattle cans of dupli color perfect match for $3.25 a can! Super cheap. I also got a B.A.M.F. Reaf diff skid on the way, thanks to a good deal from a tw member. My only armor, but I figured you gotta start somewhere. I'll post pics of the CAI, the satoshi process tomorrow and the diff skid when I get it done.
Oh and the rims didn't fit, so I sent them back, that's what enabled me to get the skid
Old 06-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #42
NativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

... Next time I will be BUYING a satoshi grill...
Good experience though.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk340 View Post
Good to hear you got the Satoshi done! Post pics!
Unfortunately not done yet. Bondo is a PITA. Looking good though so far, will be priming and painting today or tomorrow. Having a baby makes it hard to find time though. I just need to figure out how I will attach the mesh on the triangles... The mesh I bought is thick and doesn't flex easily.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #45

About the Satoshi...

If anyone decides they want to do this, but wants to know some of the pitfalls to avoid, pm me. You can save alot of money doing your own grill, but you can spend alot on materials and screw it up bad. I spent around $130 on materials, and am lucky that I can tolerate the look of my finished product (grills get beat up anyway by rocks, etc.) otherwise I would have spent that money, then had to turn around and buy a satoshi from someone on TW or buy a new oem grill.
Anyway, you may wonder what is wrong with it because the pics look good. Well there is serious imperfections from my remedial bondo work, there are fiberglass resin drips that I didn't see until I put down paint, and even after 6 coats of paint and 8 coats of clearcoat, it isn't the least bit glossy. Feels like sandpaper. I may just tell people it's silver line x At least the color matched pretty well. I am glad that I did the triangles, have some fitment issues with them still, but waiting for the epoxy to cure all the way before I try to fix all that.

Here is the excellent DIY site that I used, in case anyone else is interested.
http://satoshigrill.blogspot.com/
Old 06-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #46

BAMF Diff and LCA skids going on next week. Should I powder coat them black, grey or some other color? What do you all think? The LCA skids are used, and are black already, but I have a buddy at a machine shop who says he can sandblast and powder coat the stuff for me no problem.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #47
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Do them silver to match your truck
Old 06-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #50

Quote:
Travis, my personal opinion, I would make them black. Although they would probably look good color matched to your truck too. I fogot to mention, I will be picking up a BAMF skid next weekend! I'll paint it black though because I'm going for an MGM/Black two tone look.
Justin
I am thinking black too. I know a guy who wants to do some airbrushing for me, and if I didn't think they would get so jacked up on rocks I would have him do something in black and silver. The LCA skids have neon green on the lettering, so I may have to cover that up. Thinking probably black with grey/silver lettering. If I don't get mine on before that, should we have a mod day?

Quote:
After reading about your Satoshi project, I think I am glad I ended up paying for mine.
Yeah, I learned a lot and kinda had fun. It doesn't look too bad, I may still try sanding and polishing.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #51
elk340 will become famous soon enough

Air Force:
Name: Justin
elk340's Tacoma Gallery
We definitely need a mod day. I have a lot of projects in mind but I'm still waiting on parts to show up. Your Satoshi looks really good in the pic. I'm jealous. I still have a 2+week wait until I will receive mine. I think it would look awesome if you remove the green nail polish and then paint the B.A.M.F. on both the LCA and Diff skids silver. Like you said, any custom paint job on the skids would likely get chewed up if you go offroad. You'd probably want to do something that can be easily fixed with a rattle can.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #52

What kind of time off do you have in the near future? I spent about $20 on the diff breather mod stuff. I have to get the skids coated anyway. Maybe we could plan a mod day where we both o the breather mod and install skids. I might plasti derp the rear bumper and front valance too.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #54
Gamecock Tacos
jeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jeremy
jeremy1ns's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the same boat as you. I've been debating whether to do my own satoshi or get one from a member here. If it costs 130+ it might be better to just buy one and sell my color matched grill afterward.

Nice truck btw.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy1ns View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. I've been debating whether to do my own satoshi or get one from a member here. If it costs 130+ it might be better to just buy one and sell my color matched grill afterward.

Nice truck btw.
Unless you want some low-risk body work experience, buy one. It is fun in a weird way, and if you do a good job you would probably have materials left over to do another for money, but I wasted most of the extra material. And thanks for the comment btw, I don't get many its tough competition around here though. Lots of single guys with money to burn, good for them though!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #56
elk340 will become famous soon enough

Air Force:
Name: Justin
elk340's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Nice truck btw.
If you decide to buy one, give River Rat 69 a PM. He is super busy so there is a bit of a wait. I haven't seen the product yet but I've read a lot of good reviews and the price is right!
Old 06-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #58
Gamecock Tacos
jeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jeremy
jeremy1ns's Tacoma Gallery
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvtheMountains View Post
Unless you want some low-risk body work experience, buy one. It is fun in a weird way, and if you do a good job you would probably have materials left over to do another for money, but I wasted most of the extra material. And thanks for the comment btw, I don't get many its tough competition around here though. Lots of single guys with money to burn, good for them though!
I hear you on the money thing. I just bought my truck and all these build threads make me want to drop 2-3Gs easy.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz4back View Post
Nice job on the grill, looks good!
Thanks a lot. I hope some wet sanding will clean it up a little more too.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #60

Quote:
I hear you on the money thing. I just bought my truck and all these build threads make me want to drop 2-3Gs easy.
Yeah, I'm lucky (in a way) that I'm married. I would have maxed out all my credit cards if I didn't have someone keeping an eye on me. Once the warranty is up, she will have fewer argument points, so I will get a lot more done