Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Benbacher's Alaskan Stormtrooper build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2013, 03:42 AM   #441
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
I designed my bed rack around my tent. I knew I wanted the biggest one they had so I made it work. If you've got a long bed the rainier is where its at. Any longer you'll have to add to it like I dis or center it with equal overhang, but in my mind thats a bit less than ideal.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:46 AM   #442
The Slow But Getting Somewhere Build
tacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AC-130W Crew Chief
Name: Dane
tacodane's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
I designed my bed rack around my tent. I knew I wanted the biggest one they had so I made it work. If you've got a long bed the rainier is where its at. Any longer you'll have to add to it like I dis or center it with equal overhang, but in my mind thats a bit less than ideal.
Ya I mean I want a large tent and I don't know if the all pro bolt together rack is large enough for a tent that large
Old 10-26-2013, 03:51 AM   #443
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The thing I don't like about the All-pro (and most rack designs for that matter) is that they rely on the bedsides to carry all that weight. Ive had 5 adults and two kids in mine which is about 1200 pounds with the weight of the tent and the rack was rock solid. Thats the case BECAUSE all that weight is transferred to the frame. I'd be REALLY sketched out doing that with the weight on our bedsides. Its just not designed to carry weight there.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:55 AM   #444
tacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
The thing I don't like about the All-pro (and most rack designs for that matter) is that they rely on the bedsides to carry all that weight. Ive had 5 adults and two kids in mine which is about 1200 pounds with the weight of the tent and the rack was rock solid. Thats the case BECAUSE all that weight is transferred to the frame. I'd be REALLY sketched out doing that with the weight on our bedsides. Its just not designed to carry weight there.
What if I designed like a footing for the center bars to sit in the bed to support the center?
Old 10-26-2013, 04:09 AM   #445
Mr. Boombastic
TacoIII will become famous soon enoughTacoIII will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Security forces
Name: Andrew
TacoIII's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm yeah the rack from BAMF addressed the bed side supporting all the weight. Let me find a picture.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/bay...ack-build.html
Old 10-26-2013, 04:14 AM   #446

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoIII View Post
Hmm yeah the rack from BAMF addressed the bed side supporting all the weight. Let me find a picture.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/bay...ack-build.html
Good find. Those were a great idea. I was just going to have some for the three bars and put in the center and have them bolt on so I can take them on and off when I ever I need to.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:27 AM   #447
Mr. Boombastic

TacoIII's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah the BAMF is a bit overkill but I like the features such as the air holding capabilities and spare tire mount but the weight is a downside. What does the allpro weigh?
Old 10-26-2013, 04:30 AM   #448

Quote:
Yeah the BAMF is a bit overkill but I like the features such as the air holding capabilities and spare tire mount but the weight is a downside. What does the allpro weigh?
I honestly don't remember but I was able to move it by my self with a little struggle.lol just looked it up weighs about 81 lbs
Old 10-26-2013, 04:31 AM   #449
Mr. Boombastic

TacoIII's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacodane View Post
I honestly don't remember but I was able to move it by my self with a little struggle.lol just looked it up weighs about 81 lbs
WOW 120 lbs less. You could build an external roll cage using this as an anchor point haha
Old 10-26-2013, 04:33 AM   #450

Quote:
WOW 120 lbs less. You could build an external roll cage using this as an anchor point haha
WOW the bamf weighs that much??? geez
Old 10-26-2013, 04:37 AM   #451
Mr. Boombastic

TacoIII's Tacoma Gallery
that was his guesstimate.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:41 AM   #452

Quote:
that was his guesstimate.
Ya ill just have some one fabricate feet for the center that can be removeable for that much weight and price
Old 10-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #453
Purveyor of Fun

My rack is DOM (rollcage material) and it only weighs 110.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #454
Purveyor of Fun

Best quote I've seen to describe my build. "This truck was designed to conquer 99% of challenges, the 1% it fails, is resale.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #455

Quote:
My rack is DOM (rollcage material) and it only weighs 110.
But how much did the material cost? Also did you fabricate it your self
Old 10-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #456
Purveyor of Fun

I paid out the butt for the DOM. Theres only one place in the state who carries it. 7 bucks a foot. All told I've got about 700 into it. Did all but the bending.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #457

Quote:
I paid out the butt for the DOM. Theres only one place in the state who carries it. 7 bucks a foot. All told I've got about 700 into it. Did all but the bending.
Geez.lol good quality so you get what you pay for right?lol im just going to design some feet for the center three bars for when I actually sleep in the rtt and have the ability to take them off so I have more room for storage
Old 10-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #458
Purveyor of Fun

My design doesn't interfere with the bed storage hardly at all which is nice. Down in the states guys get DOM for about 3-4 dollars a foot.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #459

Quote:
My design doesn't interfere with the bed storage hardly at all which is nice. Down in the states guys get DOM for about 3-4 dollars a foot.
That's pretty good. For now im going to work with what I got. Gots to be on a budget.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #460
Purveyor of Fun

I threw my budget out the window when I was born in Alaska.

Products Discussed in this Thread