Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Ghost96Romeo's Build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
What is the Search Tab for????
Ghost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 96 Romeos, 1st Infantry Division, 101st MI, Deployed to OIF2
Ghost96Romeo's Tacoma Gallery
Ghost96Romeo's Build

I decided to start this thread because it seems like I'm always adding things to this truck, and it makes no sense to continue starting a new thread for a new picture to add.

I wanted a very practical build with a modest budget, and what you see here is the result. Everything was installed or built by me with everyday tools that most people have in their garage.

Enjoy....

The day I bought her. 2006 Double cab TRD-Offroad Pre-Runner (yes 2wd).

I immediately knew I wanted to add a brush guard, not a cheapo bull bar (sorry bullbar guys), so I did some searching and came across this. I mounted KC 385,000 candlepower Hilites Daylighters and wired them directly to the battery so I could have them on without the headlights.

Well it turns out that the original black plastic KC covers started melting when I left them on. So I took them back to the shop and swapped them out for the wire mesh covers. Then came the dilemma of choosing whether or not I wanted to keep the headlight guards on or not .

I eventually decided to keep the entire guard together, and installed a 3" suspension lift with an AAl in the rear made by ProComp. Sorry no pics of that install, but here's the after picture.

I was worried about someone stealing my spare, so after looking at it for about 2 minutes I decided that I could make a suitable and simple deterrent.

I've been pissed since I bought the truck that an Auxiliary Input wasn't available to connect my Zune, so I found this forum and bought a Metra I-pod adapter from Circuit City. I pulled the center console out and routed the wiring to the center armrest through the net retainer clips. Now I'm happy with the sound as opposed to the crappy FM transmitter I was using.

The next item on my wish list was to have a bedcover that was able to rollup so I could still transport my bike when I needed too.

I decided to buy the LUND Genesis Roll Top from BassPro Shops online and I really was impressed. I didn't know that you lose the ability to use all of your rail tie-downs. To fix that, I drilled some closed loop eye bolts into the bedcovers rails and it works great.

The latch from underneath.

My Christmas presents included some 1.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers so I installed them Christmas night and they were a breeze to install. No More Tire Rubbing!!!!!!
Yeah, the truck is filthy from the deer lease.

Now comes the interesting part that I hope most of you will enjoy as much as I do.

I decided to build some custom rock sliders/steps................bolt-on.

I needed to make use of what I had, which was essentially an ancient stick welder, metal band saw, and a 4.5" grinding wheel. Easy right? I’ll let you decide. I’ve got to thank my Dad the most for being a great sport and putting up with my……choices…. of how to build them. I couldn’t of done it without him helping me on those nights.

Yep, that was the welder.

I bought 40 feet of 2x3 rectangular tubing that was 11 gauge (1/4" thick) and had the steel company cut them into easier to manage 10 foot sections. I also purchased 4 feet of 1/4"x6" flat steel for the base plates, and 1 1/2" X 1/4" flat steel.

Once I had the primary cuts done, I mocked up the primary pipe under the rockers and took the measurements for the pipes to the base plates and welded them together.

Once these were done, I needed to cut the right angle and length for the risers for the second pipe. Not an easy task, but my dad and I cut a model out of wood to use as a guide, and we were able to cut great risers out of the remaining steel.

After mocking up the pipes again, I decided to cut the bottom pipes at 45's to aide in the sliding function if necessary. The blunt pipes just didn't seem to help in that category if needed. It also looks great with outside pipes already being angle cut. Once that was finished, I welded on the end caps for the 4 pipes and started grinding the welds smooth. I like camo....

Now that those are done, I wanted nothing less than to have them coated in durable spray-on bed liner. So I grinded everything down to bare metal and took them in to get sprayed with Line-X.

Now that they are done, I just need to cut the.....ahem....."tits" off with a razor and all will be good. These pictures really don't do the bedliner justice. I took these pictures right after they got back, so they're really shiny. These puppies are STOUT!
I'll post more of the pics when I actually get to finish bolting them up once I'm off. Hope you guys enjoy it.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
great looking truck man!! those sliders are pretty badass too!! great job!!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
very nice!! Great post
Old 01-01-2009, 08:26 PM   #7
09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: security forces
09tacoLI's Tacoma Gallery
nice work on the sliders looks like it took alot of work and in the cold too.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:41 AM   #10
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
Nice build, I like the sliders nice work.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:18 AM   #18
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
be careful offering those... with how those turned out you may find yourself with more orders than you can fill......

how much for a pair for a 1st gen double cab?
Old 01-09-2009, 03:20 PM   #19
Ghost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckcmdr View Post
hey ghost you intrested in selling a set? price? those look low profile when you had them set with the jack stands.
I should rephrase that.. what I was implying was that I could help Jason build them, but I don't plan on building some to sell and ship out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dud122 View Post

how much for a pair for a 1st gen double cab?
Sorry, I'm all for giving a helping hand, but I just built these in my garage using my truck as the model and I don't know of any other 1st gens.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #20

Talking As promised....

Sorry it took so long TW fans, but here's the photo's after I installed the sliders this weekend.

Prepping for the bolts

Installed and view of the bolts from the rear

Checked the distance from the rockers and ensured that my measurements were correct and they are even with the outside edges of the tires. A simple "plum line" wrapped around the tires shows that they are even.

Now for the action photos from taking her out! It was alot drier than I thought it would be.

And there you have it. Sliders installed and bolted on.

Products Discussed in this Thread